PDA

View Full Version : Light Chaser Inventor

Ace
05-28-2002, 08:00 PM
surfing the 'net, I came across the page of the inventor of the light chaser.... let him know what you think. http://www.rocketguy.com/toys/light_chaser.html

MonorailMan
05-28-2002, 08:13 PM
I do not like them on rides, but they do look cool!

And a real money maker at $13 a pop. :)

justagrrl
05-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Oh my - he's also going into space! and has his own person centrifuge in his "rocket garden"! Wow! :eek:

...oh and I just found pic's of him on some sort of blimp looking bike thing-a-ma-jigger.

socabch
05-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Squinky

Thanks for the link. I sent him a message about the lights are fun for most kids, but when you have a daughter with a seizure disorder it becomes a pain to constantly remind her to look away. I know it's not going to stop his business, but if down the road something happens than he has been warned of the dangers. Also I saw a 2 or 3 year old girl get her long beautiful hair tangled in one as it was spinning and the wind blew her hair into it. Poor thing was in tears while her parents tried to untangle her.

Mouse
05-28-2002, 09:44 PM
Everything is Dangerous to somebody.
I am of course not downplaying your daughter’s disorder or the pain of the girl with the caught hair, but this man is an inventor! He has no sinister motives.

I'm sorry that his invention has created a dangerous atmosphere for your daughter but take a look at this quote from his site:

"These toys, invented by Brian Walker, were created for fun... but also to stimulate curious young minds in the hope that they may seek out the wonders the universe has to offer!"

That's wonderful!

bluepearl
05-28-2002, 09:51 PM
I'm not particularly a fan of the lightchasers, but I have to say that there was a new one that caught my eye. It's the ones with the Mickey (or Minnie) ears on top, and when you give them a little push, the colors of the lights change. It amused me. ;)

I've also seen little kids attack each other with these things, in playful competition. I remember sitting at the railings of the Rivers of America, and there were these two kids from two different families trying to outdo each other, saying his lightchaser was faster than the other's. Luckily neither of them got their eyes poked out.

socabch
05-29-2002, 06:57 AM
Mouse

Please don't get me wrong. I was very polite and only wanted him to be aware of something that he may not realize. So some sue happy parent won't make his life miserable. It's not his fault my daughter was born with this and I would no way expect him to stop his creative ideas. He e-mailed me back and actually had an idea that I can check into. He had some questions for me that I need to find an answer for. So he is very responsible person.

The comment about the little girls hair was no way his fault, just want parents to be aware so they can put long hair in a ponytail.

There are alot of things my daughter has to avoid, but most of them are easier. She covers her eyes at the end of Space Mtn. and can't play some video games.

One thing that bugs me personally about the light chasers is the parents that allow kids to spin them on dark rides.

The good side is that they keep kids entertained while waiting for parades or long ride lines.

Ace
05-29-2002, 02:49 PM
I only posted it because I feel like feeding the kids that use those things on rides to the ducks.

MammaSilva
05-29-2002, 02:55 PM
my daughter has a seizure disorder as well and yet she owns 2 of the darn things, she can't look at it for very long at all but I just couldn't tell her no, I just monitor when she plays with it...I've found letting her play with it during daylight seems to be 'ok' for her

socabch
05-29-2002, 05:47 PM
I've found letting her play with it during daylight seems to be 'ok' for her

Thanks for the idea. Maybe I'll monitor the way you do. You know, Doctor's have a way of scaring the heck out you when they say "absolutely avoid this". She has only had two seizures this year so far. Not bad for going thru a meds change.

They are neat little inventions when a responsible parent is keeping watch.

MonorailMan
05-29-2002, 06:02 PM
I feel very heartbroken for your children, mammasilva and socabch, that because of a simple thing like a light spinner, that they must inconvience there day at DL/fun with playing with one, just because of there health conditions. I guess what I mean is that it shows me how good, for something as little as a light spinner, my life is. :)

I do not know why right now I am in tears. :crying:

socabch
05-29-2002, 06:15 PM
MonorailMan

You are so sweet and you are getting me teary eyed from your post. Actually with my girl, it has made her a very accepting person. Things like this have a positive side also. I am very lucky that this is the only thing she has to deal with. Others have a lot harder road to travel.

To stay on subject: the light chasers have made so many kids happy. (and made life easier for parents while waiting for the parade) I am amazed at how creative the different styles have gotten since the beginning.

MammaSilva
05-29-2002, 06:30 PM
awww MonorailMan, thanks for the sweet words but it really is ok, everyone has challenges in their lives, ours are just a lot more 'obvious' than some others.....

and I agree, the light chasers have come a long way from the plain 3 prong plain handle that started out a short time ago, they were selling them at the Nsync concert we went to in March!

Tigertail777
05-29-2002, 10:01 PM
OK I am now going to show that I have been living under a rock for 5 years: what the heck is a light chaser? Is it one of those gadget things that have suction cup looking things that twirl on top? I have never seen one in action so I dunno. What I really miss and would love to get another of, is those magic wands that had a sealed ball of water with glitter in them on the top, and when you moved the wand slightly, the light shinging from underneath changed color--god I loved that thing! It had a little sorcerer mickey on top too...unfortunately the rubber handle broke when I went to replace the batteries, and the whole thing went downhill from there. They were so cool in a dark room: you could have a mirror ball effect shining everywhere like little stars and it would change from silver to gold to pink to blue. sigh..anyone know where I can get one? ;)

MammaSilva
05-29-2002, 10:05 PM
oh wow I had forgotten about those.... I'm sure Brandy had one once upon a time but goodness only knows what ever happened to it :(

Tigertail777
05-29-2002, 10:06 PM
OK I just checked out the inventor's website..pretty neat looking, but give me my magic wand anyday.