PDA

View Full Version : My Unfortunate Encounter With Merlin

Pages : [1] 2

Kentenathien
01-07-2007, 02:44 PM
So I was at Disneyland on January 3rd. My friends and I were walking by and noticed that Merlin was doing his thing at the Sword in the Stone and I thought, hey, I always end up missing it so we should stop by and watch. There were already alot of people around watching. I had always wanted to be the one who pulled the sword out as a kid but I figured, since i'm no longer a kid, my chances were non-existent of being picked. I guess I was wrong, cause I got picked. I'm assuming that since i'm a giant freak at 6'7" and I noticed he made eye contact with me a few times, I became the unlucky "knight". I figured that in every other time i've seen this show, it was a little kid who pulled it out, I must have been chosen as some kind of comic relief and that's exactly what happened. After Merlin had utilized his magical "Knight-Finding" wand for what seemed like an hour, finally landing on me, I reluctantly went forward. I was then urged to pull the sword from the stone. I stepped up to it and tugged.... Nothing. He urged me to try like three more times. Again... Nothing. Ahh, Merlin states that he had the wand on the wrong setting and readjusts it to "Knight" or whatever it was, asks me to do my best pose (flexing my skinny arms like a champion, I thought that would do the trick, nope, guess not. I had to flex one arm, point skyward towards the Matterhorn and pucker my lips for the ladies.. and hold that pose FOREVER!) and again he gets pulled around for an hour by his magic wand after it lands on a little kid who was then brought up. The audience was then instructed to laugh at me... Oy Vei. The kid finally steps up and successfully pulls the sword halfway out of the stone while i'm still holding my pose. Then Merlin and I had to get on our knees, shout "We're Not Worthy!", bow down and kiss the ground. Man, so humiliating, lol. And after all this, all I get is a handshake from Merlin and sent on my way. Grumble!

One funny note, the next night I was at California Adventure at the Boudin place, waiting in the hour long line to get some french bread and I noticed this family ahead of me, their kids kept staring at me. Finally one of the little ones comes up and asks, "Are you Sir Kent?!" (Sir Kent being the nickname Merlin gave me during the ceremony) I embarrassingly answered that yes, I was indeed Sir Kent and that I guess i'm never gonna live it down. The parents informed me that I was the highlight of their vacation. Bleh! :P

Tinkermommy
01-07-2007, 02:55 PM
And after all this, all I get is a handshake from Merlin and sent on my way.

Anybody can pull the sword from the stone, as long as Merlin does whatever he does to make that possible. But not everybody can -- or will -- entertain an audience.

You made an impression on a little kid! You were the highlight of somebody's vacation! How kewl is that? VERY!

This mommy salutes you, Sir Kent!

Crazy4DL
01-07-2007, 03:03 PM
This mommy salutes you, Sir Kent!

. . .and this grammy salutes you, Sir Kent! :D ;)

bradk
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
what? are you dare suggesting some sort of electromagnet at work? some sort of garage door opening device tucked away?

never. only the temporary ruler can pull that one off.

glad to hear they're still doing it at DLR though. stopped at WDW :(

Disney Vault
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
You need to change that line under your name from registered user to Sir Kent.

Click user cp, edit profile, and then scroll down to custom user title and add that.

Rkkm
01-07-2007, 04:26 PM
You mean it's NOT magic?

Katlovett
01-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Sir Kent, I sincerely salute you!

Your humoring the whole silly routine absolutely MADE THE DAY of some little tyke who is probably still amazed that he was magically able to pull the stone out of the sword even though a big strapping fellow like yourself was not! You are a real hero, to me.

Katprint

Tinkermommy
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
You mean it's NOT magic?

Whoa! Nobody said it's not magic! Is Merlin not the Queen Mother (so to speak) of all magicians? Presumably, whatever he does IS magic.

Not magic? Perish the thought!

Malcon10t
01-07-2007, 07:33 PM
It takes a bigger man to be able to humor a group than it does to pull the sword out. I think most people know an adult will not be pulling the sword out. You made that young man's day. Congrats!

Disney Vault
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
How funny would it be if someone caught this all on tape and we find it on youtube in a week.:D

Kentenathien
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Arghhhh, damn the Information Super-Highway!! My friend actually took pics *GRUMBLE* I'll upload them as soon as I get them.

Malcon10t
01-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Arghhhh, damn the Information Super-Highway!! My friend actually took pics *GRUMBLE* I'll upload them as soon as I get them.I'm beginning to think you actually enjoyed this. :~D

vfire
01-07-2007, 11:56 PM
The Merlin show is a cute gag sidebar, but he stretches it out forever...
The show needs to be tightened or something else needs to be added; maybe Merlin can do a few tricks first to "prove" he's Merlin. And the adult who gets teased should at least get a pin or something.

darph nader
01-08-2007, 12:19 AM
ALL HAIL SIR KENT,lest us be so worthy as to bestow upon thy little munchkin a memory that will hopefully last a lifetime. We tip our hats to thee. HOOZAA.

GrouchoMarx
01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm beginning to think you actually enjoyed this. :~D

I get that feeling, too.

Think of it this way: How many adults get chosen for that bit every day...half a dozen or so? How many people visited DL on January 3rd? Easily tens of thousands. I'm no statistician, but I would say the percentage chosen is infinitesimal, which puts you in an extremely elite group.

Sir Kent, sir...there are a lot worse things to be in this world than a Good Sport.

Katran
01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Aw, Sir Kent, I wish I'd been there to see you.

For the record, I don't think anyone who participates in shows like this should ever feel humiliated. It's done for the kids, to make them feel good about themselves. And the fact that some little kid recognized you and actually liked you enough to approach you and talk to you says a very good thing about you!

Here in Arizona (and other parts of the country) we have the Renaissance Festival, and one of the acts is the Ded Bob Show. He spends a large part of the show making fun of various audience members, and people WANT to be chosen for the humiliation. They WANT to be part of the most hilarious show at the RenFest.

So I hope you'll always remember your experience as one that brought joy to a lot of people. Just think, people like Jim Carrey make big bucks humiliating themselves in front of others. Maybe you have a future in show business! :D

geoffa
01-09-2007, 02:18 AM
This happened to my friend at WDW. Sheer and total embrarrassment and all recorded on video. He only has to hear a mention of Sword in the Stone and his twitch comes on. Hail to thee - Knights of the Magic!

yellowrosedtxn
01-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I loved every thing you did during your show! And it is great that the family recognized you for the fun you bestowed on them, even if you thought it was humiliating! You are a Knight of the Round Table Sir Kent! Congratulations!

DisneyDustin22
01-09-2007, 07:35 AM
So Sir Kent...

WHAT...is your favorite color!?

wvnative
01-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Aw, Sir Kent, I wish I'd been there to see you.

Here in Arizona (and other parts of the country) we have the Renaissance Festival, and one of the acts is the Ded Bob Show. He spends a large part of the show making fun of various audience members, and people WANT to be chosen for the humiliation. They WANT to be part of the most hilarious show at the RenFest.

:D

I LOVE Ded Bob!

I think it's great that you made someone's day (and had a little fun in the process)

Kentenathien
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Here be da pics, Yargh!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3718/picture055cc2.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6937/picture057co5.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/545/picture058uy1.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3503/picture059xa1.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9374/picture062fo8.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6164/picture063ay2.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6766/picture066df4.jpg

Courtney Anne
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
great pics Sir Kent

and I saw the Ded Bob show once - it was hilarious !

Katran
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I can't see any of the pics. I just get a "server not found" error message.

Malcon10t
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I saw them before they left and they were great. Me thinks he had a good time!

Katran
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Darn it! I'm sorry I missed them. :(