PDA

View Full Version : Odd Souvenir Mistake

HiHoSilver
01-07-2007, 09:27 AM
My little girl wants me to post this & see if anyone else has noticed this:
At our last trip to Disneyland a couple of months ago, we were looking at the $15 princess musical jewelry boxes at Emporium on Main Street. They each play a song when wound from the bottom. For example, the Ariel box plays "Under The Sea." Here was the mistake ... all the Snow White boxes play "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes." This song is from Cinderella, right? We saw these Snow White boxes at a few other shops around Disneyland and DCA and they all had this mistake. By the way, the actual Cinderella box plays "So This Is Love." Anybody else notice this?

Vegitabeta
01-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Not at a Disney park, but I think a looong time ago at the Disney store there was something like that with the music boxes. Silly people.

geoffa
01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
The I bought at a Disney Store for a Christmas gift had the correct tune - Belle - Beauty and the Beast.

bradk
01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
it's a 'reasonable' mistake. probably a bad batch at the factory.

when expedition everest first opened at WDW, they sold a souvenir shot glass (or mug or something to that effect) which dated the attraction in 2005 when it didn't open until 2006.

Disney Vault
01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
it's a 'reasonable' mistake. probably a bad batch at the factory.

when expedition everest first opened at WDW, they sold a souvenir shot glass (or mug or something to that effect) which dated the attraction in 2005 when it didn't open until 2006.
I don't think it is a bad batch. If that was the case then it would be playing "So this is love." Someone didn't do their research when they made this product. Too bad it didn't play "Someday my prince will come."

bradk
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah, that's a valid point. i didn't read what the cinderellas play.

it just seemed odd then that someone would have approved the prototype.

Disney Vault
01-07-2007, 12:52 PM
yeah, that's a valid point. i didn't read what the cinderellas play.

it just seemed odd then that someone would have approved the prototype.
This is why Disney should hire more of us fanastics to check these things. Just like with the vacation planning videos where they show clips of Kali river rapids for Grizzly river run.

PanFan
01-07-2007, 11:44 PM
This is why Disney should hire more of us fanastics to check these things. Just like with the vacation planning videos where they show clips of Kali river rapids for Grizzly river run.
Or the Astro-Blasters from Florida in a Disneyland Resort promotional brochure.

MaraMouse
01-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Yup! I have the Snow White box and it plays "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes", and I bought mine christmas 2005

What if they did this on purpose, and they're saving other songs for future jewelry box designs since Snow White doesn't have that many recognizable songs besides "Whistle While You Work"

And Cinderella's plays "So This Is Love"?? Why didn't I open that one? I want it.

For future songs I really do hope they use "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Sing Sweet Nightengale"

AVP
01-08-2007, 06:56 AM
I frequently see this type of thing when I'm attending the various gift trade shows, and it's just maddening. Stupid stuff that any self-respecting Disney fan would know just seems to slip past the product designers. Amazingly, it often slips past whatever Disney department is supposed to be approving these things. Some of them are minor except to a purist - I'm probably the *only* person on Earth that will pick up a Tinker Bell sculpture to see if the dress has the correct number (7) of "points." But some of them are major, and it seems that nobody outside of Disney circles can tell Sleeping Beauty from Cinderella.

AVP

Vegitabeta
01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
it seems that nobody outside of Disney circles can tell Sleeping Beauty from Cinderella.

AVP

Funny you should say that, because in art today I was looking at Snow White as part of my project, and my lecturer said 'it's Sleeping Beauty who has the apple isn't it?'

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I very calmy told him it wasn't, but lets remember that these are well known stories outside of Disney as well...this is supposed to be an educated teacher!

Disney Vault
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Some of them are minor except to a purist - I'm probably the *only* person on Earth that will pick up a Tinker Bell sculpture to see if the dress has the correct number (7) of "points." But some of them are major, and it seems that nobody outside of Disney circles can tell Sleeping Beauty from Cinderella.

AVP
Cool little fact. I will remember that one.

HiHoSilver
01-10-2007, 07:19 AM
. . . since Snow White doesn't have that many recognizable songs besides "Whistle While You Work"
"Whistle While You Work" is a good one. So are:
Someday My Prince Will Come
I'm Wishing/One Song
With A Smile And A Song
Heigh Ho

AVP
01-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Cool little fact. I will remember that one.The only reason I know that - or care - is because I remember attending an event where Alice Davis, widow of Tinker Bell's creator Marc Davis - was speaking about Marc and about Tinker Bell. If you've never met or seen Alice, she is just an amazing woman, and she is at that wonderful "Grand Dame" stage of her life and career where she just says anything that comes to mind. (You should hear the Carousel of Progress story..)

But anyway, she was talking about Tinker Bell, and recounted Marc complaining how difficult it was to make the "seven points on her skirt cover everything that has to be covered up on that pixie." And Disney sculptor Terri Hardin made a similar comment to me about the Tinker Bell on Map sculpture she did for Disneyland. So it's just something that has stuck in my head. Now the first thing I do with any new Tinker Bell sculpture (and I'm not so worried about low-end licensed products, but $500 Armani sculptures better be right) is to make sure that the dress is accurate. Which I admit is a little odd, and makes sales representatives look at you sideways.

I just find that I'm frequently in a position of being the only person in a showroom that can tell the difference between Snow White and Ariel, and certainly the only one who cares if a character's eyes are the right color, (yes, I'm talking to YOU Lenox) if a Castle figurine is marketed as Sleeping Beauty's Castle instead of Cinderella's (Department 56), or if something is labeled as Disneyland rather than Walt Disney World.

I'm heading to the Atlanta gift show tomorrow, and I can't wait to see what new stuff the various companies have come up with. I'll have a trip report when I return.

AVP

The Red Head
01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
The only reason I know that - or care - is because I remember attending an event where Mary Davis, widow of Tinker Bell's creator Marc Davis - was speaking about Marc and about Tinker Bell. If you've never met or seen Mary, she is just an amazing woman, and she is at that wonderful "Grand Dame" stage of her life and career where she just says anything that comes to mind. (You should hear the Carousel of Progress story..)AVP

I thought Marc's widow's name was Alice Davis. Is it Mary? I am sure AVP is correct, since she has met her. Does she go by different names, or do I have it completely wrong?

AVP
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I thought Marc's widow's name was Alice Davis. Is it Mary? I am sure AVP is correct, since she has met her. Does she go by different names, or do I have it completely wrong?Ah - you see, some peope are good with names, others are good with what color Snow White's eyes should be.

Guess which category *I* fall into? :eek: Thanks for correcting me - I fixed my completely embarassing error.

AVP