PDA

View Full Version : Changing a SoCal pass to a Deluxe

justagrrl
05-28-2002, 05:15 AM
We've had so cal passes since 1/2/02. Is it possible to upgrade to the deluxe pass at this point? And if so, how much is it? The full price? Or is it discounted?

Matterhorn Fan
05-28-2002, 05:55 AM
Yes, it's possible. No, I don't know how much it will be, but it should be discounted based on the time you've had your SoCal pass.

lisap
05-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Ok, how about this...what if you upgrade to a deluxe with only three months left in your pass? Does anyone know how the discount works? Or it that a lame idea--should we just be patient till the fall when we renew?

cstephens
05-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by lisap
Ok, how about this...what if you upgrade to a deluxe with only three months left in your pass? Does anyone know how the discount works? Or it that a lame idea--should we just be patient till the fall when we renew?

I don't think it would be worth your while as I'm not sure how much of a credit you'd get. For three months, probably not much. You might want to call and ask them and then decide whether it's worth it depending on how much you'll be visiting the resort in the next three months.

socabch
05-28-2002, 07:09 AM
I've been thru this so I know the answer. Hee Hee!!!

Anyway, the price to upgrade is the difference between the Deluxe Pass and what you paid for you SoCal pass. No prorating to figure. So you should figure how many times you will go during the summer and see if it's worth the upgrade.

justagrrl,

My guess (from reading your posts and seeing how close you live) it would be worth it to you.

DJ_MENTOS
05-28-2002, 07:25 AM
justagrrl- It would cost $60 to upgrade. The deluxe pass costs $159, and you paid $99 for yours, so you would just pay the difference.

lisap- I think it would be worth your while to get the pass because the summer is blocked out on the SOCal. So if you plan to go at least twice during the summer, definitely upgrade.

Hope this helps,
DJ_MENTOS

lisap
05-28-2002, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the help, pals.
:)

SoCalDisneyLover
05-28-2002, 08:00 AM
You will be adding a good 75+ Days between now and the end of August...so doing the math...if you were to go say once every 10 days, that's 7 days for $60 or an extra $10/Trip. But it would be the full difference of $60, no prorating unfortunately. Upgrade immediately, or just put it out of your mind since the deal gets worse as time passes. Beginning in September, you'll also get Saturdays on the Deluxe, where the So Cal pass excludes them. :-)

EandCDad
05-28-2002, 09:45 AM
What if you wanted to renew your pass for an entire year and upgrade to Delux but your So. Cal. pass had three months left.

Example, your So. Cal. pass expires 8/10/02, you go in today 5/28/02 and want to upgrade to Delux. Could they take the time left on your So. Cal. pass and apply it to a Deluxe pass that goes till 5/28/03? Or is your only choice to just pay the $60 and use the new pass till 8/10/02. And then renew the whole thing as of 8/10/02 till 8/10/03.

MammaSilva
05-28-2002, 10:06 AM
If I 'read' your question correctly here is the answer, they no longer do the 'pro rated' upgrade for passes, if you have 11 months or 1 month left it cost the same to upgrade and the expiration date stays the same, if you are considering upgrading to deluxe but only have 2 months left on a So Cal pass .. which is totally blocked thru the summer then you are really sort of going to be wasting money because while the upgrade gets you in all summer it still expires on the original date the so cal pass would expire, "if" it were me I would just go ahead and purchase deluxe passes and not worry about spending the upgrade for the summer then having to pay full price for the deluxe again in August. Pricewise you would get your money out of the upgrade if you went twice but it is still going to expire in August. but that is just MHO of course.

Darkbeer
05-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Actually, if you plan to go ONLY twice, then it is better NOT to upgrade. You can buy "Blackout" passes for $25 a day. This allows a SoCal or Deluxe member to attend on a Blackout day (Both Parks). So two days is only $50, less than the $60 upgrade.

If you plan to attend MORE than two times, then of course, upgrade.

EandCDad
05-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the help.

Mad Madam Mim
05-28-2002, 12:28 PM
They were really great and up-graded Sparky and I from so cal to delux for nothing. But i had also paid the higher rate for our So. Cal. back when it was 149 fro the two parks....

socabch
05-28-2002, 02:41 PM
You can buy "Blackout" passes for $25 a day.

I'm not absolutely positive but I think I read somewhere that an AP'er can only buy one blackout (25.00) ticket per year. Anyone know for sure? I could be wrong.

Disney Nick
05-28-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm not absolutely positive but I think I read somewhere that an AP'er can only buy one blackout (25.00) ticket per year. Anyone know for sure? I could be wrong.
Nope. Unlimited blackout tickets per year. Do you honestly think that Disney is going to pass up money and attendance? After a few blackout tickets, it is kind of pointless because you should've upgraded instead. Also they check your AP w/ photo and blackout ticket at the gate so you can't buy tickets for friends. At least this is as far as i know... PREMIUM AP IS THE WAY TO GO! :D

Maus
05-28-2002, 08:55 PM
Also worth noting...
I upgraded my SoCal to Premium six weeks before it expired. I paid for the full year of the Premium, but my expiration date stayed the same--giving me six weeks of premium days and discounts. Good deal!

Maus

lisap
05-29-2002, 05:13 AM
I think what I need to do is call DL and find an "AP counselor"--it's totally confusing to me as to which route to take.

*on the one hand, we would probably go to the park at least once a week in June and July. It would give us something else fun to do during the summer.

*on the other hand, it's four whole passes we would be upgrading, and they expire August 10th. Plus, I've never been a fan of summertime DL. Have you ever waited in the Peter Pan queue at 4pm in July? Nightmare.

If Maus is right about the early upgrade, we may be able to justify it. I'll call this week and get the skinny.

cemeinke
05-29-2002, 08:08 AM
Not Afraid and I faced this dilema last year. We were having such a blast with our weekend trips to DL, that when the Summer came all that talk of, "not really wanting to be there when it was crowded" went out the window.

We went delux, with the same no prorating policy they have now and it was definately worth it. The summer was fun, you got the extended operating hours, plus the chance to see Fantasmic or the Fireworks in the middle of the week. To me that's the best part of going delux, Fireworks!

One thing we found was that going to the Park mostly on Sundays and Thursdays, the crowds were not all that bad - the park actually has a nice way of absorbing crowds when all its attractions are running at full capacity.

lisap
05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke

We went delux, with the same no prorating policy they have now and it was definately worth it. The summer was fun, you got the extended operating hours, plus the chance to see Fantasmic or the Fireworks in the middle of the week. To me that's the best part of going delux, Fireworks!

One thing we found was that going to the Park mostly on Sundays and Thursdays, the crowds were not all that bad - the park actually has a nice way of absorbing crowds when all its attractions are running at full capacity.

Has anyone ever told you how evil you are ;) I had almost convinced myself that I didn't want to upgrade. :D

Not Afraid
05-29-2002, 09:59 PM

Has anyone ever told you how evil you are ;) I had almost convinced myself that I didn't want to upgrade. :D

Oh, quit complaining and just do it!:D

lisap
05-30-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

Oh, quit complaining and just do it!:D

But then I'll have nothing to whine about......:rolleyes:

:D

Matterhorn Fan
05-30-2002, 12:23 PM
lisap, do what Not Afraid says. You need to go to Disneyland. I just looked at the blackout dates for the SoCal pass (gathering info for a family member), and you can't go for all of July and most of August! Imagine the withdrawl! (Also, imagine the irony of me saying these words!) Imagine the joy and love your children will feel when they find out they'll get to go to Disneyland each week this summer!

But then I'll have nothing to whine about......:rolleyes:

:D There's always the heat, the crowds, the commute. I'm sure you'll find something. :rolleyes:

Ivanova
05-30-2002, 07:24 PM
I just upgraded my daughter's SoCal pass to Deluxe this past Monday ... her SoCal expiration date was 1/18/03.

They no longer prorate and apply the balance to a new pass with a new expiration date. We paid the $60 difference between the 2 passes and she still has the 1/18/03 expiration date.

If this had been after the summer blackout period, I would've said the $60 wasn't worth it.

Also consider, will you be paying $25 more than 2 days to get in on blackout days? If so, then the $60 to upgrade is worth it.