PDA

View Full Version : The Smell of Soarin

Pages : [1] 2

I heart Disney
01-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Has anyone ever come across a cologne that resembles the mountain stream scene in Soarin over California. I love that ride. They say smell is one of the most profound memory recall senses we have.

raediance
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
That would be nice. x) I always remember the Oranges, though.

Goosegirl
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I love the oranges too!! But the whole ride is amazing.

Andrew
01-06-2007, 01:20 PM
I thought Soarin' smelled like Eisner.

crrees
01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a shampoo that my girlfriend uses - its called Sebastian Body Double

smells like soarin to me at least

Disney Vault
01-06-2007, 01:26 PM
You've been smelling Eisner:|

r-we-there-yet
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
One reason smell memory is so vivid is because a large portion of the sensory input goes directly into your long term memory without having to go through the thalamus (also known as the sensory switchboard).

The thing I like to spring on people is the fact you are literally in physical contact with whatever you are smelling, so if you smell pie, a portion of the pie's chemicals are reaching your smell receptors. When you smell roses, literally a piece of rose is sticking to the inside of your nose. Now here is the kicker, if someone farts, well, you figure it out. :rolleyes:

The old man
01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
:confused:

crrees
01-06-2007, 04:50 PM
One reason smell memory is so vivid is because a large portion of the sensory input goes directly into your long term memory without having to go through the thalamus (also known as the sensory switchboard).

The thing I like to spring on people is the fact you are literally in physical contact with whatever you are smelling, so if you smell pie, a portion of the pie's chemicals are reaching your smell receptors. When you smell roses, literally a piece of rose is sticking to the inside of your nose. Now here is the kicker, if someone farts, well, you figure it out. :rolleyes:

not entirely true, but entertaining nonetheless :fez:

hbquikcomjamesl
01-06-2007, 05:03 PM
When it first opened, it seemed like they had a bunch of different smell-o-vision effects, but after about the first year, it seemed like every smelly-o cue just smelled like eucalyptus.

Vegitabeta
01-07-2007, 08:03 AM
You mean someone told you that, or you mean you recall it smelling like Eisner? Either would be worrying!

raediance
01-07-2007, 08:04 AM
So who the heck is Eisner?
And one day I walked in to 'board' and I could already smell the oranges. Why?

Vegitabeta
01-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Michael Eisner was the head of the Disney company for quite a while. Try Googling him if you want to find out more...

raediance
01-07-2007, 08:08 AM
okay. thanks. x)

junglemom
01-07-2007, 08:21 AM
:confused:I took Andrew's comment as a joke, in reference to the debate on whether or not it was Eisner hitting the golf ball.

Andrew
01-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I took Andrew's comment as a joke, in reference to the debate on whether or not it was Eisner hitting the golf ball.
That's how I meant it.

Vegitabeta
01-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I took Andrew's comment as a joke, in reference to the debate on whether or not it was Eisner hitting the golf ball.
Oh right, I forgot about that!

potzbie
01-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Has anyone ever come across a cologne that resembles the mountain stream scene in Soarin over California. I love that ride. They say smell is one of the most profound memory recall senses we have.
:) A reliable source tells me that the smell is a clone of the Kramer (of SEINFELD) cologne, "The Beach." :rolleyes:

ladodgerjon
01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
AXE has a shower gel that has a "mountain" scent. Take a sniff and see if (like I *think*) it has a close "resemblance" to the SOC attraction...

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I have yet to ride SOC, I would really love to one of these days. Anyway, Andrew, I got your post imediately! It's the kind of humor my brother (also named Andrew) has, so it wasn't lost on me!

Liz :cool:

Klutch
01-08-2007, 06:52 PM
My wife was just talking about Soarin'. It's one of her favorites, yet she can never remember which WDW park has it. :p

I've experienced both versions: DCA and Epcot. I enjoy both of them, but it's kinda lame to see the same California movie in Florida. Worse, it even ends in Disneyland. Don't get me wrong, I love Disneyland. It's just lame to be right next to the Magic Kingdom and see a flyover of Disneyland. :geek:

I'd be interested to know if any of the smells on Soarin' are available in a cologne. I wonder if the difference in technology makes a cologne impractical.

I heard a radio story about a company which manufactures smells. Apparently, it's a very big, and very expensive, business. I'll have to find out what that company is and see if there are any consumer scents available.

pisces
01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Have you tried Illuminations? They have the scented candles.

Also Basin has custom scents, or so it seemed.

It's that Redwood, Napa Valley smell.

geoffa
01-09-2007, 07:08 AM
not entirely true, but entertaining nonetheless :fez:

Entirely true!:
Olfaction (the sense of smell) is the detection of chemicals dissolved in air. The chemicals themselves, generally at very low concentrations, are called odors. Olfaction is one of the five senses originally described by Aristotle. (It is now estimated that humans have between nine and twenty-three senses, depending on the precise definition of what constitutes a sense). Smell is also diretional in that it tells you the direction that the odour is coming from. Smell also has a huge influence on taste. What one smell is to you may be somewhat different to another person. For example you might smell a rose but your friend will detect it as being sweeter in aroma.
I'm always fascinated that candle companies think they can create the smell of rain, winter, snow etc. Since when did rain have a smell? Ozone yes but rain?

NellieBell
01-09-2007, 07:30 AM
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ORANGES!!! that is my favorite part...the oranges!!!! But I do smell all of the different smells while there!

ralfrick
01-09-2007, 07:35 AM
All the Soarin' smells are like cheap cologne to me.

A bientot.