PDA

View Full Version : The Portofino or HoJo's

Chadsgal
01-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Has anyone stayed at the Portofino Inn & Suites before? We are going in October and we can get a King Suite for $102 a night there. I really like the idea of the King Suite but I wanted to make sure that the rooms are all they seem to be online. We were planning on staying at HoJo's but their rooms are $109 a night right now. Any advice welcomed.

TIA

JosieGirl71
01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
FWIW, it seems like I have read some not very nice reviews about the Portofino. Hojo's seems to consistently have excellent reviews and we liked it there.

kaybee2
01-06-2007, 04:28 PM
We stayed there a long while back, when they had just re-opened as the Portofino and were happy. Only bummer was the pool was pretty small and in a shady area. A friend who stayed there shortly after we did went back 1-2 years ago and said it had gotten really run down.

We stay at Hojo's when we can. They don't have the nice "close the door" aspect of a suite but the rooms are spacious, the pool is nice, having Mimi's next door rocks, and it's a nice short walk to the park.

Hope this helps!
Karen

LibertyCall
01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
My disclaimer is I've only ever stayed at Hojo's (and I think we stayed at one of the Best Westerns when I was a kid).

We've stayed there twice so far, May 2003, May 2004, and we're planning on staying there this June.

I cannot reccommend it enough. The rooms are nice and clean (it's not a five-star hotel, no, but for what you're paying, the rooms are great.). The pool areas are fabulous. My kids had so much fun in the kiddy pool area.

Both times we stayed in building two, which is nice and quiet, and even though there is no theme-park view like in the front building, it's our preference. The grounds are lovely and still have that theme-park feeling with all the flowers and twinkly lights.

I've thought about staying somewhere else, but I'm just afraid that we'll be dissapointed. When we got to our Hojo's room last time, it felt like, "Well, we're at Disneyland", it's our Disneyland home.

The walk is short, ten minutes TOPS. The first year, I did it with a three year old and a one year old, the second year with a four year old, two year old, and a three month old. No problem.

junglemom
01-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I did not like the Portofino at all. It was only a year or so old when I stayed there and it seemed so poorly put together. The halls were insanely hot. The pool was tiny and in the parking lot. My close friend swears by the HoJo.

maryxmas
01-06-2007, 05:21 PM
My husband and I stayed at HoJo's last year. After having walked around all day at the park, and especially after the second day, we actually felt the walk was too far. So we won't stay there again.

Chadsgal
01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I am very confused. I have heard very good things about HoJo's and it is cheeper to stay there w/ AAA but I just want a nicer room. anyone staied in the suites at HoJo's and are they worth it?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
I can't even remember how many times we have stayed at HoJos, it has been at least 6-8 times, we always get the same room, in building 2, it is clean, spacious, grounds are nice, staff is great, terrific gift shop (which is open late) and I don't think the walk is at all a problem, even after being at the park all day, and with 2 small children. When we book Disneyland trips, our hotel is automatic, reservations at HoJos.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I can't even remember how many times we have stayed at HoJos, it has been at least 6-8 times, we always get the same room, in building 2, it is clean, spacious, grounds are nice, staff is great, terrific gift shop (which is open late) and I don't think the walk is at all a problem, even after being at the park all day, and with 2 small children. When we book Disneyland trips, our hotel is automatic, reservations at HoJos.