PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane

Terri
01-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Well...I've booked the Candy Cane for our trip in March. I don't even have the plane tickets yet, but figured I should jump on the hotel. In the past we've stayed at DLH, HoJo's and some icky place (can't remember which one but it was behind the IHOP). Tell me we're doing the right thing by the Candy Cane! I'm hoping for something nice and convienent. I loved DLH but just can't afford it again. We found cheaper places during our stay...but the past reviews have led me to the Candy Cane. We'll be there the 18th - 22nd...
Any ideas anyone? It's only me and my son (13) and we've reserved a deluxe 2 queen. Suggestions? Opinions?

cjkeys
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
You'll be delighted with the Candy Cane. Their rooms aren't the biggest but they're very clean. The front desk staff is pleasant, efficient and very helpful. The continental breakfast is one of the best I've encountered in the area. The breakfast area can get crowded but just take the tray from your room (the one with the ice bucket and glasses on it), fill it with whatever you want and bring it back to your room. The shuttle that runs between the hotel and Disneyland is exclusive to the Candy Cane (so it doesn't make numerous stops) and is always on time. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Really, rest easy. You've made a great choice!

ghoofie
01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Congratulations. You are staying at the ONLY place we will stay when in Anaheim. I even stay there on business trips AND since I arrange business travel for employees sometimes...I make them stay there too. Good choice !!
Tell Oscar hello.

lagunachadling
01-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Awesome Choice

Disneymademoiselle
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
I only ever stay at the Candy Cane Inn. It's the best!!! Have fun!

ktrm
01-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh you will like it. Cute cobblestone streets, twinkly lights in the trees. Absolutely immaculate landscaping. Don't forget to grab a real candy cane from the basket of them in the lobby.

hlbtimes2
01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Its a cute little place. We are currently booked for our 3rd stay there. Its not a big fancy hotel, but it is a darling little motel.

KarenW2
01-05-2007, 10:25 PM
CCI is the only place we stay, when we overnight at the resort! We've stayed at all the hotels on site and just can't justify paying the ridiculously high prices, just to be in a "Disney" room. There are just so many other things I'd rather spend my money on!!

Note: while it's true they have their own shuttle, the van is NOT handicap accessible, which makes a big difference to us, since I have to use a wheelchair. Their own shuttle was originally the reason we stayed there the first time, but since my accident and subsequent need for a wheelchair, we can't make use of this "perk" anymore. I'm really surprised/disappointed that they don't have a handicap accessible means of transport, but they don't.

Another plus to staying at CCI is the parking is FREE!!! Not so with the Disney hotels.

Hope you have a great time!

rentayenta
01-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Well...I've booked the Candy Cane for our trip in March. I don't even have the plane tickets yet, but figured I should jump on the hotel. In the past we've stayed at DLH, HoJo's and some icky place (can't remember which one but it was behind the IHOP). Tell me we're doing the right thing by the Candy Cane! I'm hoping for something nice and convienent. I loved DLH but just can't afford it again. We found cheaper places during our stay...but the past reviews have led me to the Candy Cane. We'll be there the 18th - 22nd...
Any ideas anyone? It's only me and my son (13) and we've reserved a deluxe 2 queen. Suggestions? Opinions?

I just booked it for a possible weekend trip in May. I will never have the chance to stay with my whole family as I have read the rooms are not spacious but with only 3 of us, I thought this would be the perfect time. I have read nothing but good things about it. I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

hlbtimes2
01-06-2007, 06:56 AM
I just booked it for a possible weekend trip in May. I will never have the chance to stay with my whole family as I have read the rooms are not spacious but with only 3 of us, I thought this would be the perfect time. I have read nothing but good things about it. I look forward to hearing about it when you return.

While no one will say the rooms are large, I think people over stress that they are small. They are 360 sq feet for a standard and 400 for a deluxe. In comparison, a standard room at the Disneyland hotel is 364 or 415 sq feet- so roughly the same size. A standard room at GC is only 353. PP are 364 sq feet. The layout of the room does have some effect on how they feel. I actually felt like our room was bigger in the standard because of they way it was layed out.

rentayenta
01-06-2007, 07:55 AM
While no one will say the rooms are large, I think people over stress that they are small. They are 360 sq feet for a standard and 400 for a deluxe. In comparison, a standard room at the Disneyland hotel is 364 or 415 sq feet- so roughly the same size. A standard room at GC is only 353. PP are 364 sq feet. The layout of the room does have some effect on how they feel. I actually felt like our room was bigger in the standard because of they way it was layed out.

I didn't know that they were close in size. Consistently I read about how small the CCI rooms are. I will hopefully be there in May and I will do a little comparison. Thanks for the info.

hlbtimes2
01-06-2007, 08:22 AM
I took those measurements directly from the CCI site and the Disney site, so I'm assuming they are accurate.

I one thing I didnt like about the rooms at the CCI, is the lack of storage space. There isnt really room to unpack the suitcase. The deluxe rooms have a closet which helps. The standard rooms just have a "closet" shelf near the bathroom vanity. There is not a lot of drawer space.

My last stay there was 3 adult women. We all had tons of clothes and bathroom stuff! We all just kept our clothes in the suit cases and shared the large vanity for our bathroom gear.

Crazy4DL
01-06-2007, 08:33 AM
We stayed at the CCI in Aug for 9 nights and Dec for 6 nights. We thought the bed were VERY comfy, the breakfast nice, the pool nice, the staff very pleasant and helpful. Rooms clean! and outside area VERY cute!

The rooms are not spacious. We stayed in a standard both times.

This last trip we had 10 of us and two rooms. You can get a pull away for $10, Jenny. We didn't. The kids like to be snuggled together anyway so that worked. DH and I had one queen bed and two boys slept in the other queen. We actually pushed the two chairs together, facing each other and Irene (3) thought it was the best bed ever. :D

hlbtimes2. . . there were about 5 drawers in our room, in the armour the tv is in. The tiny fridge was in there and some drawers. The beside the bed table has a couple of drawers too. Our standard also had a small closet with a shelf.

We will most like have the CCI as our home most trips to DL. :D

ktrm
01-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Its possible the room just feels small because the only window the hotel room has is by the entrance door. The window looks out upon the outdoor "hallway" which is covered by an large walkway overhang. The rooms are therefore kindof dark compared to most hotels. Most hotels these days you enter the room from an indoor corridor and then the window in your room faces the outside with little or no overhang. This sort of brings the outside in making the room seem more spacious.

hlbtimes2
01-06-2007, 11:12 AM
The rooms are a bit dark. But, we use that to our advantage. Its much easier to get the kids to nap in the afternoon in a semi- dark room!

disneyperson
01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
We're booked for our first stay at the Candy Cane in April. I've heard so many good things about it that I had to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the rates are.

KarenW2
01-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Rentayenta,
I would think it would probably be cheaper to get 2 rooms at CCI, to fit your whole family, than to get one room at one of the Disney hotels, if one Disney room fits all of you together.

Besides, if you think about it, how much time do you actually spend in the room? We spend nearly all our time in the parks and only use the rooms to sleep in, basically.

I'd rather spend my money on things in the parks or dinners at the restaurants.

Malcon10t
01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi Rentayenta,
I would think it would probably be cheaper to get 2 rooms at CCI, to fit your whole family, than to get one room at one of the Disney hotels, if one Disney room fits all of you together.

Besides, if you think about it, how much time do you actually spend in the room? We spend nearly all our time in the parks and only use the rooms to sleep in, basically.

I'd rather spend my money on things in the parks or dinners at the restaurants.This is why liked the Residence Inn. The Studio Exception has 2 queens in a bedroom, and a double sofa sleeper in the living room. Its 625 sf. and has a full kitchen. Not bad for $149 a night.

rentayenta
01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi Rentayenta,

I'd rather spend my money on things in the parks or dinners at the restaurants.

In May the CCI is $139 and the PPH is $225. Does the CCI have connecting rooms? Our kiddies are quite young (5,8, and, 10) to have their own room.

maryxmas
01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
The Candy Cane has THE best continental breakfast out of all the hotels surrounding the park. Their shuttle service is also nice to take after having walked around all day. It's one of a handful of hotels I will stay at in Anaheim.

hlbtimes2
01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
In May the CCI is $139 and the PPH is $225. Does the CCI have connecting rooms? Our kiddies are quite young (5,8, and, 10) to have their own room.

The deluxe rooms connect, the standard do not.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Do you have AAA? If so make sure you ask for the discount.

We have had five in the deluxe room a few times, it's a little tight, but if its just for sleeping, its not a problem.

Malcon10t
01-06-2007, 07:32 PM
When counting costs, also remember the Resort hotels charge a $12 resort fee per room.

What I found in the past was I would tell the hotel my plans. We would get 2 rooms, and explain one would be for the kids. Mine were 7-11 when I started doing this, and the hotels ALWAYS made sure rooms were either connecting, or side by side.