PDA

View Full Version : The Snow Globe Controversy

Pages : [1] 2 3

pisces
01-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Here's what happened:

December 25th, 2006 (Christmas Day)----At 7:00 am we race into the Park, and it's complete magic. They've actually got the Christmas loop turned up, it seemed, and we all then come upon........The Snow Globe...which Santa must have delivered only a few short hours ago...

....because I swear I'd not seen that up on December 23, when I first arrived.

Cast members swore it'd been up for weeks.

Ok.

I never saw it. But, I guess it was there if they say so.

Just cause I don't see something, doesn't mean it's not there. (Been told that many times)

Still. It could have been up on the 24th, I don't know, because the 24th seemed so crowded that I never managed to get over that way...never would have thought to look for such a thing anyway.

(Nobody ever tells me these things!)

Anyway, It's Christmas Day, Early Entry, and we had all been rushing to Peter Pan....when we are all simply stopped, breathless in our tracks, at what Santa had, we all felt, MUST have delivered the night before...because none of us remembered seeing it previously.....no matter what Cast Members were saying.

It was Magic, nonetheless.

So what's the problem?

The fact that they took it down right after the 25th.

At 7:00 am Tuesday the 26th, that thing was gone, and there were more than a few Park guests who never got to see it.

As you can imagine, the line at City Hall began to form.

Well, Disney's excuse was the Rose Bowl thing that they were doing on December 26th.....and they promised to put the Snowglobe right back up after all the Rose Bowl stuff was over. But, of course, they never did.

Snowglobe gone forever, and never going to return!

The irony is...that the Snow Globe wouldn't have conflicted or infringed on the Rose Bowl stuff at all, and both could have stood right next to each other.

I was quite surprised they just yanked down such a lovely, beautiful, solemn, display right at the stroke of Midnight ...Dec. 25.

Completely uncalled for, and I'm one of the lucky ones. I was there Dec. 25 and managed to snap pictures.

Others who weren't as lucky, or couldn't get there till Dec 26 missed it completely, and were hopping mad.

For anyone who missed it: Here it is, and it was magic, seeing this at 7:00 am Christmas Day

http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/18/121166960

Somewhere in my gallery, I've got night photos of it too. Surreal and very solemn. I was in tears coming upon it. I truly believed Santa had only hours ago, dropped it right off.

Of course others were in tears too, tears of anger at Disney's being so thoughtless and yanking it right out by the 26th.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-05-2007, 10:05 AM
It is beautiful, thanks for the pictures.

ktrm
01-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Very pretty. It definitely was not there in November when I went between Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. I wish I could have seen it. I love the snowman with the Mickey ears.

adriennek
01-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Others who weren't as lucky, or couldn't get there till Dec 26 missed it completely, and were hopping mad.

How could they be hopping mad at missing something? I mean, how did they know what they missed?

Were small children peeing in the streets? Did anyone get decapitated?

Adrienne

Crazy4DL
01-05-2007, 10:16 AM
The SnowGlobe was there on Dec 5-10th when we were there. We have pictures but I will have to post them later. Can't get to them right now.

Nice pictures pisces. :)

Tinkermommy
01-05-2007, 10:19 AM

I heard cats and dogs were living together...

(Omigosh, I think I'll be laughing about THAT post for the rest of my life...):p

pisces
01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
How could they be hopping mad at missing something? I mean, how did they know what they missed?

Adrienne

You don't get it.

There are displays and there are DISPLAYS.

I've been going to Disneyland for over 30 years, off and on.

I've been going regularly around Holiday time for the past three years.

I'd never seen anything like this.

There are no words. And people were actually silent, in awe, like it was some sort of shrine......which it may very well have been.

At night it glowed, and it seemed as if they put speakers around it so the special Christmas Loop would sound even clearer when you were up close.

I'm telling you, I'd not seen anything like this before at the Park.

And, we were all promised that it would be put right back up after the Rose Bowl thing.

Only, it wasn't.

Gone, and never to be seen again, I bet.

olegc
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
umm - the thing has been out there since Dec 1st. Darkbeer and others had posted several pictures of it on the Mousepad pix forum (well, posted links to the photos). It was a bummer that it was removed after the 25th (since my friends decided to come this week from AZ to visit the holiday decorations). BUT - they just shrugged their shoulders and moved on. The holiday decorations overall, the music, and the Believe snow were much more important for them than one marketing ploy that seemed to lose punch once in the park. I am so surprised they spent a lot of money on the commercials animating the darn thing then do nothing more than a stationary snow globe in the park.

To add - it seemed there was a machine behind the globe intended to make the snow blow up and around, as if someone was shaking it, but I never saw it work. Oh well.

katiesue
01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
It was there when we went in mid December

Karen256
01-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I don't get what there is to be mad about.

Even if they had only put the snow globe up for Christmas day, what's so wrong with that? The park has been decorated for Christmas for weeks, this just would have been one special touch for Christmas day only. I think that's kind of magical.

adriennek
01-05-2007, 10:25 AM
You don't get it.

You're right, I don't get why people would be hopping mad about not seeing something that wasn't marketed. I'm sure it was a lovely moment for you, but I just think that the "lines forming at City Hall" and "controversy" and "People hopping mad" smacks of hyperbole. The reaction you've described sounds a bit over the top.

Adrienne

ScottDisneyFan
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I never saw any commercials about it but I did see it when I was there at the end of November, start of December. It was nice...it is too bad they said it was coming back and then it didn't.

pisces
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
You're right, I don't get why people would be hopping mad about not seeing something that wasn't marketed. I'm sure it was a lovely moment for you, but I just think that the "lines forming at City Hall" and "controversy" and "People hopping mad" smacks of hyperbole. The reaction you've described sounds a bit over the top.

Adrienne

Not when they are telling people they'll put it right back up.

That's what they were telling people at City Hall. That's what the Cast Members told me.---That right after the Rose Bowl stuff, they'd be sure and put it back.

Silly me. I guess I'm wrong to think that people are going to do what they say they'll do.

Why tell someone you are gonna do something and then not do it?, and on Christmas?

Not very nice.

Karen256
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
The reaction you've described sounds a bit over the top

Yeah, that was my initial reaction as well. I can't help but think the original post was a bit exaggerated. I wasn't there, so I don't know, but I can't imagine people in tears over missing one decoration in the middle of a beautifully decorated Disneyland.

Vegitabeta
01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
...at least we have photos!

Klutch
01-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Adrienne

Too funny! You've got to stop reading my mind like that, Adrienne. ;)

pisces
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I was in tears, upon first coming upon it.

And then I was just angry after they thoughtlessly yanked it down on the 26th.

There were people on their way to City Hall, because I'd raved about the Snowglobe all day long the 25th, and early the 26th.

I made a million phone calls (Ok, now that's an exaggeration).....but I did call some people and tell them to get down there to see it.

And then I had egg on my face, because all the people that I'd raved about the Snowglobe to.....saw absolutely nothing, but a very bland Rose Bowl stage by the 26th.

No Snowglobe, and I don't think Disney ever had any intention of bringing it back the way they said they would.

ScottDisneyFan
01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
That is embarassing

Bolivar
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I am sure quite a lot of thought went into it. I am sure its removal had been scheduled for some time.

I really like the idea of special things popping up unannounced and removed quickly. That would be a great thing to do throughout the year. It would add to the magic to find these unexpected gems now and again and to never know when that might happen.

Rkkm
01-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Yup, we saw it earlier .. I just can't remember when I first saw it. Could it have been the Sunday after Thanksgiving? I remember first seeing it when they were setting it up with cameras for a video shoot. Seems to me that was on a Sunday afternoon.

JookyG
01-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Well if you don't know it already, anything that is said by Disney or a Disney CM is subject to change without notice. It's something you learn to live by when you're a regular.

Disney Vault
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I don't get what there is to be mad about.

Even if they had only put the snow globe up for Christmas day, what's so wrong with that? The park has been decorated for Christmas for weeks, this just would have been one special touch for Christmas day only. I think that's kind of magical.
I totally agree. Nothing to really get worked up about.

BTW here is the commercial.
http://video.disney.go.com/motion/index#category=Theme%20Parks?video=Disneyvacations castmembers_CN00499

pisces
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
A Surprise, or a one-night-only-and-never-again type of thing, that's one thing.

But, apparently that's not what this was. This was supposedly part of their normal decorations for the Season.

OK.

Well, Dec 26 is just a taste too early to be yanking down decorations, in my opinion.

I might be able to understand Dec 30, or even Dec 29.....to prepare for the big New Years stuff....ok, by that time it's New Years, and technically you are not so much in Christmas anymore.

But, to dismantle, and yank Christmas decorations down promptly at 12:00 am Dec 26....that feels way too soon to me.

nursemelis374
01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I saw it earlier in the month also and just had an 'eh' reaction to it. It reminded of the things you see on everyone's yards this year.

I also think this is an exaggeration on behalf of the guests. I mean, I love POTC, but if they decided to bulldoze it I still wouldn't cry. It's a ride.

Malcon10t
01-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I was in tears, upon first coming upon it.

There were people on their way to City Hall, because I'd raved about the Snowglobe all day long the 25th, and early the 26th.

I made a million phone calls (Ok, now that's an exaggeration).....but I did call some people and tell them to get down there to see it.

And then I had egg on my face, because all the people that I'd raved about the Snowglobe to.....saw absolutely nothing, but a very bland Rose Bowl stage by the 26th.

No Snowglobe, and I don't think Disney ever had any intention of bringing it back the way they said they would.I think it would have been hard to put back up after the Rose Bowl stuff on the 28th as they were then preparing for NYE and it took up a lot of room. We saw it the 23rd and 24th also, in addition to Christmas day.