PDA

View Full Version : Best Hotel...

Pages : [1] 2

jeffthechef
01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I would like some input on the best hotels that are within a 5-10 minute walk from DL. We have been staying at Paradise Pier for the last few visits, but it gets expensive:(

My only requests are really comfortable beds and a nice pool area.

So, what is your favorite and why?

DisneylandForever
01-04-2007, 03:48 PM
1) Howard Johnsons - great service, nice rooms, nice pool areas.

2) Candy Cane Inn - lovely grounds, nice rooms (smaller than HoJo rooms tho), super comfy beds - pool is okay IMO

3) To me there a few "pretty good" ones that tie for 3rd. Carousel Inn, Desert Inn and the Ramada Maingate. From my experience those three are always reasonable. The pools aren't great (Desert Inn actually has a crappy indoor pool), but they are nice hotels and right across the street.

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Value and really, really close: Park Vue Inn

Just as close, less value: Best Western Park Place Inn

Not so close, best grounds and good pool: Candy Cane Inn

Even farther but good grounds and good value: Anabella

Compromise of grounds and value and distance: Howard Johnson's

DangerMouse
01-04-2007, 03:49 PM
HoJo. Best pool areas outside the resort. They also have great rates if you book far enough in advance (Entertainment Rate). The beds are fine, but I always bring my own pillow. Theirs are down, I believe.

disneyhound
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Hojo's is a further walk than you might want after a long day on your feet in the park. BWPPI, Tropicanna, Carousel are all similar in what you get for your buck. Park Vue is a little cheaper, but lower quality. But if you are just looking for a place to crash like us, a hotel right across the street from the main entrance is the way we go!

ladodgerjon
01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I really like the Marriott (behind the Hilton; next to the Convention Center).

The rooms were re-done about three years ago (as was the entire property)... read: the place feels new.

They have a great pool, good room service, a starbucks, a mini shopping arcade, two good sit down restaurants, a nice lobby, attentive staff... in short, the place has a "resort feel."

I generally get a rate for around $89 p/n... not a bad deal for all that comes with it. That's a considerable savings over the DLH, GCH or Paradise Pier.

Carousel & Candy Cane are also just fine (Carousel, if I remember correctly, has comp breakfast service in the lobby).

tinker3
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Candy Cane Inn - Nice walk, clean rooms and a pretty good free breakfast.

Residence Inn Maingate - Comfy beds, very spacious (all Suites) clean, and a pretty extensive free breakfast. It's not as close as some of the others, but we don't mind the walk!

Oingofan
01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I've stayed at the Crown Plaza and Hilton previously. I know they are a bit further down the road, but how do these rooms compare with HoJo's, CCI, Residence Inn, etc.?

My wife said that she stayed at CCI years ago and it has old rooms and was more of a motel instead of a hotel. I've never seen it or stayed there. Can anyone relate the different hotels/motels? Thanks!

ktrm
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I generally get a rate for around $89 p/n... not a bad deal for all that comes with it. That's a considerable savings over the DLH, GCH or Paradise Pier.

Thats a great rate for the Marriot. When do you travel and do you use the entertainment rate?

ktrm
01-04-2007, 06:52 PM
My wife said that she stayed at CCI years ago and it has old rooms and was more of a motel instead of a hotel. I've never seen it or stayed there. Can anyone relate the different hotels/motels? Thanks!

The candy cane inn is a motor hotel. In other words, it has no indoor corridors and you basically park right outside the door to your room. It is only two stories. That said, they maintain the motel extremely well. Cute cobblestone lined streets. Very cute pools. One big pool, a hottub with a gazebo, and a wadding pool. The landscaping is well done with twinkly lights in the trees.

For an old motel (I think one of the originals), it is well maintained and cute. It also has a continental breakfast(not real extravagent) included in the price. The motel rooms are kind of small and dark.

It is nice and cute but not a resort hotel at all. Its nothing like the Crown Plaza or the Hilton. Personally I don't like the big resort hotels too much. I get overwhelmed, but it all depends on your personal preference.

The Residence Inn is mainly for large groups of travelers together but I have heard it is nice. I have never said there.

I just stayed at the Embassy Suites South. If your wife prefers larger hotel type resorts, this one is very nice. It has a full and I mean full made to order breakfast included in the price. It also has a happy hour time. When I was there, they were extremely generous with their complimentary drinks. For me, however, it was just too large. Silly I know, but I felt overwhelmed by how many stories high it was.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I've stayed at the Crown Plaza and Hilton previously. I know they are a bit further down the road, but how do these rooms compare with HoJo's, CCI, Residence Inn, etc.?

The CCI has been totally redone, the rooms are very nice, beds are comfy and the free breakfast is good. It is a motel, with outside hallways, but is so much nicer than the Carousel or the Tropicana.

hlbtimes2
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Most of the properties that are within walking distance are "motels". The doors are on the outside of the building, rather then indoor hallways. Most of them were built in the 50's and 60's, and it was common at that time. Some of the new properties, that are bit further away, are "hotels", with indoor hallways. Personally it doesnt matter to me what the door opens up to, as long as it is clean. Actually, come to think of it, I prefer motels. I like having the car parked right by the door rather then packing lugage through the hotel.

hlbtimes2
01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
For an old motel (I think one of the originals), it is well maintained and cute. It also has a continental breakfast(not real extravagent) included in the price.
Not only is it an original, but its still owned by the same family. The son of the original owner, owns it now. It is their only property and they take great pride in owning it. It was built about one year after the park was built. The original owner imigrated, with his family, from Turkey when he was a teen. He was in his 30's when the hotel was built.

Oingofan
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for the details! It is also nice to hear of the advantages/disadvatages of each. Thanks again!

Malcon10t
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Residence Inn Maingate - Comfy beds, very spacious (all Suites) clean, and a pretty extensive free breakfast. It's not as close as some of the others, but we don't mind the walk!
We stayed here this last trip and were quite impressed. Even my daughter who prefers staying right across the street has said she liked it better. So, this may be our new "home" away from home. We've been looking for a new one since we decided to "vacate" the Hilton Concierge floor (they shortened hours and service, was no longer worth it.)

DisneyLynn
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I've stayed at The Marriott, The Hilton and the Marriott Suites and The Marriott is definitely my favorite. We used to get the $89 rate too, but it's been about 2 years since I've seen it that low, but I see $129 pretty often.

It's a very nice hotel with a great staff! The pool area looks nice, but I've never had a chance to use it as we're usually at DL.

kylephoto760
01-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I love the Convention Center Marriott. Very, very nice place. They're building a new ballroom though so things are a little messy toward the parking garage but the main hotel is nice. It's where I stayed last time I was up there.

This time I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn and my parents and brothers are staying at the new Courtyard so I'll know about both of those hotels when I return Saturday night.

(Disclosure: I work in a Marriott.)

crrees
01-05-2007, 08:03 AM
what are the rooms like at DLH compared to say the contemporary at WDW - or any luxury hotel for that matter since they are about the same price per night

jeffthechef
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
A big thank you for all of your input. I really appreciate it!:fez:

ladodgerjon
01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Thats a great rate for the Marriot. When do you travel and do you use the entertainment rate?

Tell me what the entertainment rate is? My interest is PIQUED!

I stay there around this time of the year-- OFF PEAK. Since I'm a local, I only do it once or twice a year (as a treat).

momuvseven
01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Fairfield was very nice a few years ago. Personally I prefer to stay in Garden Grove.

DisneyLynn
01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Fairfield was very nice a few years ago. Personally I prefer to stay in Garden Grove.

I stayed at the Fairfield 5 years ago and swore NEVER again, the beds were horrible and the noise from everyone walking by our room was bad. I think that was the last time I stayed someplace with doors on the outside, I hate doors on the outside now. Call me a snob, but I must have indoor corridors.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Howard Johnsons-clean, spacious rooms, great staff, pool near building 2 is quiet and nice, building 2 is the best building, within walking distance, great price.

tonytone
01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Howard Johnsons-clean, spacious rooms, great staff, pool near building 2 is quiet and nice, building 2 is the best building, within walking distance, great price.
Not trying to be argumentative, but quite a few people have proclaimed Building 2 the "best" out of all of the HoJo Anaheim buildings--is that because many of their rooms offer the best DL views...or because it's the more "modern" building out of all of them...or (and?) something else? Me--I've stayed at HoJo twice...one in #2, the other (this past Xmas) in #1. I don't really have anything against #2 but I definitely liked #1, if only because it's right next to the front desk, and is a shorter walk (not by much but it is) to Mimi's and DLR.

Regardless, my family and I enjoyed our stay at HoJo...although if there was one little thing I had to pick on during our recent stay, it would be to gripe about the soft water (dunno if it was just an isolated occurance, or if it's the norm at HoJo); if you don't have any pH-balanced shampoo and/or soap on you, you'll know why really soft water and non-pH balanced soap/shampoo don't mix well...

RockDoc07
01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm going to put in a vote for the Ramada Maingate. I actually wrote a review of it on this board that you can check out. I think it meets your two requirements, and it is on the same block as the Esplanade. You have to walk to the opposite end of the block, but that's it. Less than a 5 minute walk to the bag check lines.

The beds are comfy and the place is clean. THe breakfast is way way weak, but I don't know how important that is to you (it really wasn't for us). The pool however is REALLY nice, very kid friendly (has a really shallow area that's pretty big) and is shaped like a zig zag underneath palm trees so it's kind of cool.

Good luck and cool runnings!

Doc