PDA

View Full Version : Deal for Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

crrees
01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
So about a year ago my girlfriend and I were planning a trip to disneyland but had to cancel those ideas. Now we are back to looking into it and wanted to talk alittle about the situation
Cast: myself (21), and my girlfriend (will be 22 by that time)

We found a package April 27th - May 1st. 4 nights in the Disneyland hotel (Resort/pool view was $172 bucks extra), 3 day meal plan, 3 day park hopper.

It will be our 2 year anniversary

That being said the cost of the package is $1904.14. It honestly sounds kind of steep. Although affordable I always look for the best deal possible since this is also without airfare.

We found a really good deal with Delta for $430 round trip for 2 from Fort Lauderdale which is extremely convienient

This would be my first time out to Disneyland, and my girlfriends second time

I would like to stay in the Disneyland hotel if at all possible, the paradise pier was only $50 a night cheaper, and you know what they say...when in rome

I would also like to add that my girlfriend and I are snobs when it comes to food and use sit down restaurants whenever possible but I do eat counter service a few times for quick bites, should I continue to get the dining plan or nix it and just pay out of pocket for 5 days?

crrees
01-04-2007, 09:40 AM
oops wrong section, if a mod can please move this post i would really appreciate it ;) :fez:

hlbtimes2
01-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I wouldnt bother with the dinning plan. Unlike WDW, the DL plan is not designed to save money.

crrees
01-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Ah thanks, appreciate that info

Ya im going to see if i can book a day early and take advantage of the ticket savings

jeffthechef
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I would also recommend skipping the dining plan as it limits your choices. I have experienced better food at Downtown Disney as well. Also, Storytellers Cafe in DGC has never disappointed our family and is actually very reasonable.

The overall price for your package sounds high. You might try AAA or Costco for their packages.

crrees
01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
I got rid of the resort/pool view, and got rid of the dining package, made the stay april 26th - may 1st (4 nights), and it came out to $1586 with $200 at time of booking (declined travelers insurance)

FMTX
01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I would definitely not do the dining plan. It does not save money like the WDW one and it is a bit of a hassle I think. That seems like a great price on airfare. I would definitely do DH rather than PP. I would not pay for the resort view but since it is an anniversary it may be nice since looking at Anaheim is not that pleasant. As you know spend time looking at the DL board as things work a little differently at DL than WDW. Use Darkbeer’s fast past strategy as it is greatly beneficial in Cali to use it more so than in Fl. Also you may want to check but staying in DH use to (last couple years) get you into all early entries not just the one that comes with your multi-day ticket. If you, your girlfriend or parents are AAA members book through them to get Enhanced fastpass since you are planning on staying onsite anyway. It is worth it even if the cost of the package goes up.

Rteneyck
01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi! Your airfare seems awfully high. Are you flying into John Wyane or LAX? I know the airfare into LAX can be around 220.00 - 250.00 or so per person

ktrm
01-04-2007, 12:57 PM
I also might ask for a breakdown of all the costs and see what you can get the DLH for by calling the hotel directly. Sometimes the packages don't always save money...sometimes they do. I usually get my tickets only through AAA or the Disney Store or WDTC and book my hotel separately. My mom who flies books her own flight, buys her own tickets, and I book the hotel.

Right now, though, AAA is offering what seems to be good deal on the DLH package. I think you get the fourth night free and $150 gift card and a refillable drink mug if you order before 1/31/07. Check AAA out as well as Costco.com.

hlbtimes2
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Right now, though, AAA is offering what seems to be good deal on the DLH package. I think you get the fourth night free and $150 gift card and a refillable drink mug if you order before 1/31/07. Check AAA out as well as Costco.com.

You have to complete your travel by April 26 in order to get the $150 gift card.

hlbtimes2
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi! Your airfare seems awfully high. Are you flying into John Wyane or LAX? I know the airfare into LAX can be around 220.00 - 250.00 or so per person

I might be wrong, but I'm reading his post as $430 total for both of them.

Rteneyck
01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm reading his post as $430 total for both of them.

Oops I stand corrected. I need to get my glasses checked --- or get some well needed sleep :)

I Heart Disneyland!
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I really hate to say this, but, I'd stay at a different hotel and save the money!!! We never stay at the DL hotels because of the cost. Instead, we spend anywhere from $99 - $120 on other hotels and use the extra $100-$200 on DL and eating out at restaurants, etc. Just my .02 !

DangerMouse
01-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I really hate to say this, but, I'd stay at a different hotel and save the money!!! We never stay at the DL hotels because of the cost. Instead, we spend anywhere from $99 - $120 on other hotels and use the extra $100-$200 on DL and eating out at restaurants, etc. Just my .02 !

I agree with everything the above poster wrote, except we spend $50-$60 on hotels and save the rest for the parks. :p Oh, and I've stayed at the DLH and the GCH, so I know what I'm missing -- not much!

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 02:27 PM
The DLH is a wonderful experience. I would agree with you if he was looking to save money, but I don't think that is the case. I think he is willing to pay extra for that experience, but is just looking for the best deal he can get on that premium hotel.

The DLH is my favorite of the three and I can't wait to stay there again. My last trip money was too tight so we didn't stay there, but I certain will again.

Even if you don't pay for the view room, at check-in I would ask for the Seirra tower, DTD side, above the sixth floor. If they have it, they are likely to give it to you. They might not have it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. With the area I just described you can see the parks and the fireworks from your room.

Drince88
01-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Don't forget that www.mousesavers.com has a section on DL as well.

And as someone who's only paid for onsite stays at WDW, I don't hesitate to go offsite at DL (though I have paid for Paradise Pier and Grand Californian). It doesn't 'buy' you as much being onsite at DL as at WDW. You can easily get a hotel within reasonable walking distance, so no need to think you'd have to add a car, since you're under 25.

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Good point that this is someone who doesn't know DL.

You can get a hotel equally as close as the DLH that will be a lot cheaper. Staying at the DLH gives you a more complete Disney experience in that you never leave the protective bubble of Disneyland -- you exit the park into the esplanade and then go through Downtown Disney to the hotel which has the Hook pool, the remote control Jungle boats, the Tinkerbell wallpaper, the waterfall, etc.

If you stay offsite, you exit the park into the esplanade and turn away from Downtown Disney, walk through the bus turn around and load area, go onto Harbor Boulevard entering the real world and going to your hotel. These hotels can be equally as close, if not closer, and can be half to a third the cost.

If you are looking at a four night package for $1,500... If I assume you are getting four day park hoppers that means the hotel is 1,200 for four nights. You could get a hotel on harbor for $400 for four nights. That same package would cost you $700. You would lose a few extras: the lanyard and pin, the early entry everyday instead of just one.

To me the DLH experience is a lot better and I love to have it. The question you have to ask is, is it $800 better? Only you know your finances and the relative worth of $800.

faithbaby
01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Even if you don't pay for the view room, at check-in I would ask for the Seirra tower, DTD side, above the sixth floor. If they have it, they are likely to give it to you. They might not have it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. With the area I just described you can see the parks and the fireworks from your room.
Bolivar - is the room request you suggest considered a "standard" room? Just wondering because our package at DLH says it is for a "standard" room and I don't know what to expect or if I can/should ask for what you suggest. Or, are you saying it really is a "view" room that may upgrade (with or without charge?) if available?

crrees
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
The DLH is a wonderful experience. I would agree with you if he was looking to save money, but I don't think that is the case. I think he is willing to pay extra for that experience, but is just looking for the best deal he can get on that premium hotel.

The DLH is my favorite of the three and I can't wait to stay there again. My last trip money was too tight so we didn't stay there, but I certain will again.

Im not really looking to save big bucks, i just want the most experience for my $$$, I would want to stay at the DLH because of the experience. If im going to fly all the way out to california and spend the money anyway, i might as well do it right. I can stay at a Hojo, sheraton, hilton, etc anywhere, but theres only a few chances to stay at a Disney hotel.

I will ask for the Sierra tower, thanks for the advice, my girlfriend today showed me the DLH hotel and how it faces DTD, hopefully we can stay there but if not, no biggy

I will check costco.com and AAA

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Bolivar - is the room request you suggest considered a "standard" room? Just wondering because our package at DLH says it is for a "standard" room and I don't know what to expect or if I can/should ask for what you suggest. Or, are you saying it really is a "view" room that may upgrade (with or without charge?) if available?
When I stayed there last year there was a lot of confusion over this. The web site lists standard rooms and an extra charge for a view room. When I called WDTC to ask about the difference they didn't know what I was talking about and said there was no such thing as a view room. When I talked to the hotel directly I got vague responses. I ended up paying for the view room, but specifically asked for above the sixth floor, DTD side. I got sixth floor, pool side. I had wished I hadn't paid extra. I have previously gotten the Sierra Tower, above the sixth floor, DTD side without paying the extra view fee. So to answer your question: I don't really know.

Be aware though that some people don't like what I am suggesting because you get noise from DTD. I have found that it isn't that much noise and the view is worth it. Your mileage may vary.

faithbaby
01-04-2007, 03:21 PM
When I stayed there last year there was a lot of confusion over this. The web site lists standard rooms and an extra charge for a view room. When I called WDTC to ask about the difference they didn't know what I was talking about and said there was no such thing as a view room. When I talked to the hotel directly I got vague responses. I ended up paying for the view room, but specifically asked for above the sixth floor, DTD side. I got sixth floor, pool side. I had wished I hadn't paid extra. I have previously gotten the Sierra Tower, above the sixth floor, DTD side without paying the extra view fee. So to answer your question: I don't really know.

Be aware though that some people don't like what I am suggesting because you get noise from DTD. I have found that it isn't that much noise and the view is worth it. Your mileage may vary.
OK, good enough! That is kind of strange with the mixed messages or lack thereof. You know, when I booked (through disney, but via costco - like AAA does) there was no choice to upgrade the room -- just popped in as "Standard View".

HeatherW8
01-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I would recommend staying on the Paradise Pier hotel. I am an annual pass holder and I also often stay at the hotels due to work. The Grand has a really nice hotel lobby but the rooms are nothing special. The Paradise has the best rooms and you can get a GREAT view of the park. The Disneyland Hotel is the worst of the 3 and after staing there twice I won't stay again. It is too old.

faithbaby
01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I would recommend staying on the Paradise Pier hotel. I am an annual pass holder and I also often stay at the hotels due to work. The Grand has a really nice hotel lobby but the rooms are nothing special. The Paradise has the best rooms and you can get a GREAT view of the park. The Disneyland Hotel is the worst of the 3 and after staing there twice I won't stay again. It is too old.
I toyed with the thought of PP, but for me it goes like this....I've wanted to stay on property for as long as I can remember....and that was long before GCH or PP even existed. I remember walking the grounds of the DLH and wanting to stay there someday. So, this time we are. ;)

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
See it is all a matter of opinion. I like DLH best, then PPH and finally the GCH is at the bottom of my list for on property hotels, not that it isn't a great hotel, it could just be any nice hotel anywhere -- it doesn't have a Disney feel. But those are my opinions and you'll find that opinions vary widely.

DangerMouse
01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Between the GCH and DLH, I liked the DLH much better. We were upgraded to a Sierra Tower 7th floor DTD view and I could have stayed there forever. The noise never bothered me and the view was incredible. It was really a great experience, but I think partly due to the fact that I had a special Disney Visa rate of $129 a night. I NEVER EVER would pay $250+ for a night's stay there. It's just not worth it to me.