PDA

View Full Version : Petting Zoo?

yohomama212
01-04-2007, 08:42 AM
So we're standing there in the park the other day trying to decide what to do next and my DH mentions the Petting Zoo. We go back and forth arguing the exsistence of such a place. I swear there's not one since I was all over the DL website the day before and never found even a remote mention of the place. My mom chimes in that it is indeed there is a Petting Zoo and points out a location on the map labeled as Big Thunder Ranch. Just when I gave in and we were going to head out there, my SIL called and they were all meeting up for dinner. So, is there really a Petting Zoo back there? Or were my DH and my mom just yanking my chain?

Liz :cool:

raediance
01-04-2007, 08:44 AM
The only thing I can think of was the reindeer. Not quite sure, though.

just beatla33
01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
yes its at the ranch, theres like 3 goats and a horse

ktrm
01-04-2007, 08:50 AM
There is sort of a petting zoo at Big Thunder Ranch. It has been transformed for the holidays into the Reindeer roundup. There are real reindeer now that you can look at but not pet. Normally there is one cow you can pet and a few goats. There is also the Presidentally pardoned turkeys over there although you can't pet them. I'm not a big fan of petting zoos and this one is very sparsely populated with animals. It is not one of the highlights of my trip and I wouldn't worry about missing it. There is a little log cabin in there that is a nice place to unwind and relax. Kids can color pictures and parents can sit back and take a breather from the walking and crowds. Right now Santa Claus is in the Cabin for the Reindeer roundup.

raediance
01-04-2007, 08:51 AM
There is sort of a petting zoo at Big Thunder Ranch. It has been transformed for the holidays into the Reindeer roundup. There are real reindeer now that you can look at but not pet. Normally there is one cow you can pet and a few goats. There is also the Presidentally pardoned turkeys over there although you can't pet them. I'm not a big fan of petting zoos and this one is very sparsely populated with animals. It is not one of the highlights of my trip and I wouldn't worry about missing it. There is a little log cabin in there that is a nice place to unwind and relax. Kids can color pictures and parents can sit back and take a breather from the walking and crowds. Right now Santa Claus is in the Cabin for the Reindeer roundup.
Oo! Is that still going on right now? I've wanted to see the reindeer so bad, but I thought we had missed it.

yohomama212
01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks. Since today's trip is all about the holiday experiences, I think we'll make a point to get back there and take a look around. DS would love seeing the reindeer!

Liz :cool:

ktrm
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
All the Christmas decorations start to be removed January 8th, so I assume the reindeer will be there at least until then maybe longer. I doubt the reindeer will be there past the middle of January though. I am not positive however.

rokketride
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Dont forget about Pocahontas the Donkey :D

shna
01-04-2007, 09:44 AM
My daughter met goats and sheep for the first time at the petting zoo during our Halloween DLR trip. I'm pretty sure all of the animals were stoned out of their fuzzy little heads, but they were cute. :)

disney jones
01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
yeah, the Reindeer should still be there, but when they're in there, you can't go in and pet them - but they are cool to see!!

my girls love to go to the petting zoo at Big Thunder Ranch :rolleyes: sometimes i relent and let them. (yawn)

and see? when i tell people trips to DLR are mostly for me (and not my two DD's) (i only take them cuz i have to :p ;) ), they don't always believe me. But this is a good piece of evidence that this trip is about ME!! ;)

the Petting Zoo is boring - seeing reindeer though? that's cool :cool: - especially when they start flying around! :D

DalOwnerx3
01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Didn't the petting zoo have a cow with mickey ear spot at one point?

ktrm
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
My son was so cute when he saw the real reindeer. He said "I just don't understand how they can fly...I mean no wings, no jet engine. I don't get it" I told him Tinker Bell sprinkles a little pixie dust on them and it takes care of everything.

shna
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
My son was so cute when he saw the real reindeer. He said "I just don't understand how they can fly...I mean no wings, no jet engine. I don't get it" I told him Tinker Bell sprinkles a little pixie dust on them and it takes care of everything.

Wow -- that Tinkerbell gets around, doesn't she? :eek:

WITron
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Didn't the petting zoo have a cow with mickey ear spot at one point?

Yes, they used to, but she hasn't been there in years. Her name was mickey Moo.

disney jones
01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
My son was so cute when he saw the real reindeer. He said "I just don't understand how they can fly...I mean no wings, no jet engine. I don't get it" I told him Tinker Bell sprinkles a little pixie dust on them and it takes care of everything.cute story, accurate too -- confirmed from Cheech and Chong's Santa Claus and His Old Lady:

TC: No, man. No, man, how'd he do all that other stuff, man? Like, how'd he
make himself small, man. And, how'd he, like, how'd he get the reindeer
off the ground, man?
CM: Oh, well, man, he had some magic dust, man.
TC: Some magic dust?
CM: Yeah, magic dust, y'know? He used ta give a little bit to da reindeer, a
little bit to Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little
bit more...
TC: And this would get the reindeer off, man?
CM: Aw, got 'em off, man?!? Are you kidding, man? They flew all da way
around da world, man!

;)

DizneyMommy
01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
And don't forget about the Presidentially Pardoned Turkeys! They live there too!

disneyperson
01-05-2007, 04:40 PM
We always visit the goats at Big Thunder. On our last visit , one put her head in Zero's lap and went to sleep. So adorable.

jcruise86
01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
There is sort of a petting zoo at Big Thunder Ranch. . .
The way they fixed this place up for both Halloween and Christmas was my favorite surprise of my October and November visits. It was laid back; my toddler could draw on attractively beat up picnic tables; the entertainers were fun and extremely toddler friendly; I didn't feel like anyone was trying to make $ off of me; and the place looked great--much better than it had to.

Congratulations and thank you to all the cast member who helped make this such a wonderful place!