PDA

View Full Version : January 3rd - Disneyland is "Full" before Noon, Sub Lagoon partially filled

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Just got back from the parks, got there shortly after 7:30 AM, and pulled into the Parking Structure, only 4 toll booths open, and everyone was sent to Pinocchio, a bit of a wait (cars back to almost where the building overhang starts).

Not much of a wait for the trams, the posters have been switched from the Holiday ads, to Rockin' Both Parks, one ad for Space, one for Screamin' and the one in the middle being generic.

Lines were short, only a couple of people ahead of me at the Turnstiles in line a few minutes after 8 AM (and short lines at the Ticket Booths, which now have the new Multi-Day and CityPass prices posted).

Went straight to Space Mountain, which was closed, and some folks waited. The Space Mountain sign still had "Space Mountain" in the LED's, but a new sign was added to the top of the LED's, "Rockin'" in the Red script that was being used in the early material (not the current Black letters, which are much more block like).

I decided to ride the Matterhorn to check out the Sub Lagoon, as I was told that the water was scheduled to start being added last night.

A bit of a wait, as the Matterhorn was running short handed and did not have a "grouper", basically the one person on the other side of the tracks was getting people to queue up in front of the air gates. This is not the most efficient system, but at least the ride was open.

And guess what, the Sub Lagoon is about 1/4 (or maybe 1/3) filled, basically covering the tracks.

Then headed back to Space Mountain, got a Fastpass then entered the Stand By Line (posted as a 20 minute wait). No changes to the queue area. I will write a more detailed description later, but the ride does have the new soundtrack, and lots of new lighting effects on the ride. The big drawback, you can see the track, and all the supporting structures, including the emergency stairs, etc.

After that, took a ride on the Monorail, checking out the Sub Lagoon again. Looks like they have stopped filling the lagoon, many workers are doing a lot of work, including some "pool cleaners" with the standard mesh net trying to gather up debris and other trash, presumably to make sure that most of it will gotten at this early stage, where employees can still find a lot of dry ground in the Lagoon.

Used my FASTPASS for a second ride on Space Mountain before heading over to DCA to check out Screamin' shortly after 10 AM.

The Screamin' sign that runs horizontal has a new added "top" (shaped somewhat like a Diamond) that says "Rockin' California", along with some shiny material behind it.

Ended up riding Screamin' 3 times, and wasn't impressed, the sound worked all three times, and didn't sound very good at all, very "scratchy", Red had the worst sound, Green was a bit better, and Blue sounded the best. No other changes than the sound at Screamin'.

Then headed out of the park before Noon, and the ticket booth lines were curled around and started in the back of the booths.

Driving out of the Parking Structure, noticed that the cars were backed up to the halfway point of the Ball Road Overpass, and then saw the signs that said Disneyland Park was Full, but California Adventure was still available.

I would be prepared for capacity crowds at Disneyland everyday thru the 7th.

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
You Tube already has videos up from this morning

First, here is Rockin' Space Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDxXi9xG5Q

And then Rockin' California Screamin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDibPb8HFQ

01-03-2007, 01:20 PM
I much appreciate the report on the sub lagoon, Darkbeer. Thanks. :)

Tinker Bell
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Full is bad. The news said 50% chance of rain tomorrow I hope it does to cut down on the people there tomorrow but then I am torn with the fact that if it does rain I wont be able to see TEP for my B day. To rain or not to rain that is the question.

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I much appreciate the report on the sub lagoon, Darkbeer. Thanks. :)

Here is one shot of the Sub Lagoon from the Matterhorn, partially filled.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2310941/4/120822156/Large

As soon as I finish the album, I will place the link in the Photo Update thread.

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Full is bad. The news said 50% chance of rain tomorrow I hope it does to cut down on the people there tomorrow but then I am torn with the fact that if it does rain I wont be able to see TEP for my B day. To rain or not to rain that is the question.

I just checked weather.com, they only have a 30% chance of rain for tomorrow, and that if it does rain, it will be in the evening (PM), so that probably won't stop many folks.

Sounds like you will get to see the Electrical Parade...

Tinker Bell
01-03-2007, 01:55 PM
That makes me happy and sad at the same time. Oh well I plan on having fun with or with out people.

MouseWife
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Doh! Up to the 7th? I am planning on going Friday. Put it off because of work, school, the flu.

Well, I hate crowds {because it increases the chance to run into too many inconsiderate people, not necessarily the crowds themselves or the line wait} but I think we'll still go.

I wish it would rain....and people would stay home to get ready to go back to school on Monday...that is what I am doing now.

DizneyMommy
01-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I was there today as well. We got in at 8:15am, rode Peter Pan, Dumbo and Toad all within about 45 minutes. Headed over to IASW after a stop at the Baby Care Center, waited less than 10 minutes. One of our party needed a new AP, that line was the longest one we stood in all day - 40 minutes. Then by 11 things started looking crazy, so we went over to CA for lunch and cruised through Bug's Land which was pretty easy. Lunch was tough, the bakery at the Wharf had a line out the door and running into the Margarita stand, and all lines were pretty bad so we opted for fruit and sourdough from the Farmers Market stand. When we left at 1, I wanted to pass by our stone, but the lines to get in DL were all the way back to my section, which is C44. It was horribly crowded today by noon, and I would never usually have gone on such a bad day except we wanted one last ride on IASW before holiday comes down. All in all, not a bad day afterall, as we got on 5 rides and had lunch all before noon, and all that on a day when DL reached capacity! Just goes to show, if you do it right you can have fun on even the most crowded of days - even WITH a 2 year old! :-)

Disney Vault
01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Great pics as always. Just curious why you didn't get a picture of the screamin' sign though:confused:

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Great pics as always. Just curious why you didn't get a picture of the screamin' sign though:confused:

I did, the album is still uploading.....

Disney Vault
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I did, the album is still uploading.....
Oh can't wait. And I love pictures of ppl in the lagoon. It looks so small until you see a person walking around and then you notice how big it really is.

yohomama212
01-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the great pics Darkbeer. When my son saw Nemo on that fence yesterday, he went nuts! I got to show him those pics today and now he's sooooo excitied! I'll have a tiny baby by the time the ride opens, but I will be there anyway cuz I don't think DS will let me pass this one up!

Liz:cool:

disneycanuk
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
the park was crazy by the time i tried to get on space or california screaming the wait was way to long and fast passes were good pretty welll before closing, so took the family to some other stuff might have to wait until after the weekend to try hoping the park lines slow down. and now I can say I saw the dark beer today well thats about it he looked busy, nice camera though

rentayenta
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Here is one shot of the Sub Lagoon from the Matterhorn, partially filled.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2310941/4/120822156/Large

As soon as I finish the album, I will place the link in the Photo Update thread.

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated!

Omnitographer
01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I went today as well, just because i was in the area. it took me a bit to realize they had music on screamin. I will atest to the fact that red has very scratchy or tinny audio towards the high end, however the more bassy aspects of the music are ok.

cynthia312
01-04-2007, 12:11 AM
i like RSM better than RCS!! the ride effects and music was just so much better than RCS. i've always wanted to see how the tracks and stuff looked liked inside but i didn't wanna see it completely with the lights on. so this is good :D because you can see the tracks since u have all the special lighting and stuff. but still...it doesn't really "kill" the mood!!!

*heart* Rockin Space Mountain!!!!!!!!! yeaaa!!!!!!!!

-Cynthia

Courtney Anne
01-04-2007, 12:18 AM
those are great pictures -- thank you so much - i find myself looking at your photos all the time and pretending i am there - you are so nice to share them with us

a few questions...

is all the shopping on paradise pier closed ?
what are they doing under screamin ?

am i an idiot for not knowing these things alread ? :confused:

THANKS

Darkbeer
01-04-2007, 05:48 AM
is all the shopping on paradise pier closed ?

what are they doing under screamin ?

The Shops were closed untill 11 AM, they don't open them for the first hour the park is open, even on a busy holiday week.

They are building a new ride, called Toy Story Midway Mania, the official announcement should take place in Florida January 24th thru the 26th (my guess the 26th, where the schedule mentions new stuff) during a major media event. (The attraction is being added to both parks).

Disney Vault
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
The Shops were closed untill 11 AM, they don't open them for the first hour the park is open, even on a busy holiday week.

They are building a new ride, called Toy Story Midway Mania, the official announcement should take place in Florida January 24th thru the 26th (my guess the 26th, where the schedule mentions new stuff) during a major media event. (The attraction is being added to both parks).
I hope we get some good concept art when they announce this attraction.:D

Courtney Anne
01-04-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks again for the info

i really hope i can go for my birthday - maybe i will see you around

kathynova
01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
We are heading to the park on 1/6 and staying through 1/9. We won't be arriving until around noon on Sat. 1/6. I saw mention of anticipating capacity crowds all weekend. Any opinion on whether will will have entry problems on 1/6 at noon? Three of us have AP's but the other 3 have 2-day passes they bought online.

Janie
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
You Tube already has videos up from this morning

First, here is Rockin' Space Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDxXi9xG5Q
A 1989 cover version of a 1973 Stevie Wonder original (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLResbOBnY). :| Stevie's is better and funkier (naturally), but at least the RHCP's cover does the tune justice. Actually, since they're halfway there already, they should just rename it "Funkin' Space Mountain" (or "Funky Mountain") and toss a little Cosmic Slop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4U1Ln_X_zo) into your Maggot Brain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SikbZ0x0w) from the Mothership (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ujs-2DJILc).

And then Rockin' California Screamin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDibPb8HFQI couldn't even discern that. Sounded like being propped up next to a giant bass amp.:(

junglemom
01-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the update and pics DarkBeer! I am so excited about this!