PDA

View Full Version : Hit by POTC cannon concussion blast from Barbossa's ship

tonytone
01-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is it not out of the ordinary to feel the concussion from the cannon blast in POTC? I ask because during the ride, as we were moving alongside Barbossa's ship I felt a blast of air hit the side of my face right after one of the cannons went off. It wasn't a "knock me over" type of blast, but I could definitely feel it hit my face...caught me by surprise, to say the least; I know I didn't imagine it because my son felt it too (granted, it didn't hit his face but he definitely felt it 'cuz immediately afterwards he asked me as to what the heck that was).

Bolivar
01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
That is part of the new ride. Sometimes you feel it sometimes you don't. I think it is supposed to feel like a cannonball just missing you as it zooms past. That sure is what it has felt like to me, but I don't think I've gotten the blast directly into my face before.

goffy #1
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I've been hit by that blast too and I thought it was really cool! :cool:

Disney Vault
01-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I love that they added this. Does it go in both directions? (From the fort and the ship)

babytmakes5
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
When we were at DL in November, we rode POTC several times, and I got blasted almost every time. It startled me quite a lot, and by the second or third time we went on the ride, I would enter that part of the ride with a "please don't hit me" look on my face.:eek: Not only that, but I always ended up getting splashed from the blasts hitting the water too. Seems I was the only one that it happened to in my family, and my kids thought it was hillarious. It made the ride all that more fun for my three children--they'd laugh and giggle "I bet she gets it again!" Kind-hearted children they are, but I guess watching mom flinch is just too funny for them!

Disneyland4Jamy
01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I wonder if it matters where you are sitting? I was in Row 6 two separate times and didn't get hit. However, I have been hit in the ear before in Row 3 and it's a VERY surprising sensation!:eek:

DangerMouse
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Ooooo! Oooooo! I want to be hit by a giant blast of pirate cannon air! :D :geek:

rentayenta
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Ooooo! Oooooo! I want to be hit by a giant blast of pirate cannon air! :D :geek:

Me too! :geek: :D

tmptink
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't remember getting hit but I do remember sitting in the first row and when the cannon ball "hits" the water I got wet and so did my dd.

Disney Vault
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Is the air strong enough to blow of a hat into the water?

jcruise86
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Me too!
Me 3!

(When I read the first 3 posts I thought, "I GOTTA get hit!"
I'm in my early 40s. Will I ever grow out of this?!)

friendlypixie
01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Ooh it happened to me the last time i rode it. I was sitting in the last row and it "hit" me in the back of the head, it was awesome! It was the most intresting feeling, it really did feel like a cannon had just zoomed past my head.

disneycanuk
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
it has happened to me a few times on the ride too first few times cught me and my son by surprise by it makes it even better i think

biolabetty
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
This happened to us the last time we rode too, it really was a surprise and it blew my hair around a bit. Everyone said "Wow!" at the same time on the left side of our row, and the row behind us. I don't know if it would blow a hat off or not, but like I said, my hair got rearranged a little.

Disney Vault
01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
This happened to us the last time we rode too, it really was a surprise and it blew my hair around a bit. Everyone said "Wow!" at the same time on the left side of our row, and the row behind us. I don't know if it would blow a hat off or not, but like I said, my hair got rearranged a little.
So is it less intense than the Indiana Jones ride where they hit you with the air?

raediance
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Yess!!! I want to get hit!! I never get hit. Maybe because I always demand I sit in the middle because I'm a scardey-chick.

charpaul
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I am thinking that it might make a difference where you are in the boat... (I have never felt it in the back of the boat, but have in the middle and front several times)
But more importantly, it makes a difference of where you are when the ship returns fire.... The air blast is VERY directional and will only "hit" you if you are in the right spot...

Bolivar
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I have no information as to how the blast is controlled, but I have just assumed it was random. I have felt it when I was in the back of the boat and have not felt it while in the back.

biolabetty
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
So is it less intense than the Indiana Jones ride where they hit you with the air?

Actually that is kind of what it felt like, a short sharp blast of air.

Tiki
01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I am in my late 40's and the answer is no. If you are lucky you will never get too old to be a kid at DL!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
It happened to me once on our last trip, but when I told DH about it, he thought I was nuts, as it didn't happen when I was on the ride with him. I too think it is a cool effect.

MickeyDogMom
01-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Since we've had two trips since the new version of POTC opened, I only just felt it this trip and as it is my favorite ride you can tell how infrequent the 'blasts' are. They shocked both me and my bro on the trip. Scared a newbie too.

yohomama212
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I got HIT! I was so excited about it, my mom thought I was some kind of freak! And I got spashed right after that! I love the new POTC ride! It's awesome! Going back tomorrow for more!

Liz :cool:

aricbell
01-05-2007, 12:50 AM
The cannonball blast is not anywhere near as powerfull compared to the Indiana Jones Skeleton arrow scence, right before you get to the "Rolling Ball" finale.:fez: