PDA

View Full Version : My First Trip Report - 11/06

ShirleyFilms
01-02-2007, 08:48 AM
This is my first attempt at writing a "trip report". I feel strange posting it... but I always get such enjoyment from reading the experiences of others, that I thought I would go ahead and post it. It is a bit belated... but what the heck.

My wife, my son and I all have annual passes, so we have been to Disneyland a few times in the past year (being a mere 6 hour drive from Phoenix). However, my mothers birthday was in November, so we decided to take her along this time. We prepared a special birthday card that included a certificate that we made up (complete with Disney logos and pics of Tinkerbell and Mickey). This certificate entitled her to "one magical trip to Disneyland". When our 5 year old presented her with the card, she quickly became teary-eyed. To say that it has been a stressful year for my mom is an understatement, so it wasn't totally unexpected when she cried and hugged us all and said, "I could really use a magical vacation. Thank you".

We drove out on a Friday night - after work. Took a wrong turn somehow - ended up halfway to San Diego... then righted ourselves, drove very fast, and made it to our hotel only about an hour late. We all slept and prepared to wake up early the next day.

Of course, the 5 year old was up before the alarm clock went off. So we all made it to the park right as it was opening. My mom was further surprised when we walked to her to the Main Street Bank to have her photo taken - for her new annual pass!

The first thing we did was Splash Mountain. Since there was no one else in line, when we came to the end of the ride, they asked us if we wanted to ride again... we readily accepted. I love Splash Mountain. To me, it embodies everything that is great about Disneyland - but that's just me. :)

Next, we headed to the Holiday Haunted Mansion. None of us had ever seen the holiday layover... so we were very impressed. While we didn't like it as much as the classic version... we went on it about 5 times during our 4 days stay...so it was clearly a winner in our book. We even purchased the soundtrack.

Next, we headed to Pirates. My mom was really impressed with the new additions to the ride. It was great being with her... seeing so many new things at Disney. We made it a point to hit all the things she had never done (Tom Sawyers Island, Mr. Toad, others).

At lunch time, the 5 year old got picked for the Jedi Training Academy. Being one of the shortest that were chosen that day, he was the butt of many a good-natured joke from the instructor. But he was in heaven, as he battled Darth Vader. After the experience, he was shell shocked... but happy. We were all very proud of him... and happily, we got the battle on video... so he can practice those lightsaber moves for next time!

My mom is married to an accountant. A nice guy, but frugal, to say the least. When they vacation, there is a strict budget to be followed. We wanted her experience to be completely carefree, so we told her that she could have anything she wanted. It took some prodding, but she picked out a charm-bracelet charm from the World Of Disney store and some clothing. We also ate at the Blue Bayou, which is something she has wanted to do for years. A lot of people say the food at the Blue Bayou is just "so-so"... but we LOVED it. Everything was good. Our little guy got a the cookie-boat... and ate it all... including the teeth-shattering sail and mast (edible... but not very tasty).

There were many wonderful things that occurred on our trip... but one of the best had to be on the morning of our 3rd day. We got to California Adventure as it opened, and as we were heading to Ariels Grotto for our Disneyland Visa autograph session, we were met by cast members who awarded us Year Of A Million Dreams Fastpasses. We were all very pleased (especially after having seen so many people around the park who had been luckier than us). Just as we were leaving (and thanking) them, we were stopped by ANOTHER group of cast members, who told us we were winners. We informed them that we had already won... but they told us that it didn't matter... we were winners AGAIN!. They gave us all free Mickey Ears... and we were very happy. :)

Next we headed into Ariels Grotto to get autographs. We expected to see Chip and Dale... or maybe Flick... but our jaws hit the floor when we were met by Mickey and Goofy! Since there was no one else waiting for autographs, we got to hang out with them for about 15 minutes. It was a really fun experience. They were really playful and our 5 year old was blushing with happiness.

After doing a few rides... we were on our way to Grizzly River when we happened upon a most peculiar talking trash can. We had known about PUSH for some time, but we were never able to find him on recent trips. So. When we met him, we were excited. Our 5 year old was shy at first, but since the park was still not that busy, we got to have about a 10 minute conversation with Push and our little guy opened up immediately. I have to say... I think Push is an excellent addition to Disneyland. Loveable and witty... the kids and adults love him. We helped him get his lid "unstuck" and he was eternally grateful for us saving him from a trip to the orthodontist. After a few minutes we waved goodbye and went on more rides. (I must say that we encountered PUSH a few more times, and it seems like a lot of kids were kicking and beating on him. He was actually yelling to parents to mind their children. It was sad. I hope PUSH is okay! :)

Next, we played some of the Midway games and won a number of prizes. I know they are getting rid of the Midway games... but I personally will miss them. I realize they are nothing special - but they do give DCA a nostalgic feeling (in my opinion anyway)... and they are so easy... that its great fun to win prizes for the kids. I will miss them.

That night we ate at a Mexican place in Downtown Disney. Our 5 year old got a balloon hat from a local balloon-twister and the hat was probably taller than our boy. It was great fun.

We saw Fantasmic too. My mom had never seen it, but always wanted to. She thought it was incredible. I have never heard her cheer so loud as she did at the end when Mickey vanquishes the dragon. It really made me feel good to see her so happy.

When we found ourselves alone for a minute, my mom hugged me and told me that it was one of the best times of her life. I told her I felt the same. It really was a great trip.

There were many great experiences... too many to name. We spent some time in front of the giant Christmas tree and videotaped ourselves talking about what we wanted for Christmas and how much fun we were having. As it turned out... I edited the vacation video on my computer and made it into a DVD which the entire family watched on Christmas day. It was touching to all who watched it. Each time I hear my mom cheering at Fantasmic, it brings me right back.

That's my trip report. :) I think we are heading back soon. Happy New Year everyone.

Crazy4DL
01-02-2007, 09:00 AM
When we found ourselves alone for a minute, my mom hugged me and told me that it was one of the best times of her life. I told her I felt the same. It really was a great trip.

awww :crying: . . . that was a very special trip report. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Maus
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Shirleyfilms, that was a great trip report. It touched me! Thanks so much for sharing your magical vacation.