PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Disneyland Memories

Pages : [1] 2

Rufus T Firefly
01-02-2007, 08:36 AM
What are your earliest memories of a visit to Disneyland? The only thing I can recall is riding in the caboose of the Casey Jones Circus Train with my parents when I was 4 years old.

tod
01-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Strutting down Main Street in my Davy Crockett sweatshirt like I owned the world. It was 1955 and I was 3.

--t

Bytebear
01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
First time I went to Disneyland I was probably 11 or 12. I remember begging my dad to take me on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but he hated roller coasters. I kept saying, "but dad, it's just a train ride!".

mistofviolets
01-02-2007, 09:05 AM
What are your earliest memories of a visit to Disneyland? The only thing I can recall is riding in the caboose of the Casey Jones Circus Train with my parents when I was 4 years old.

Standing in line for Small World with my Grandma and aunt and someone handed me a toy pooh bear; and riding the parking tram with my balloon that flew away. I was 3.

I also have a very, very vivid memory of looking UP at Dumbo...seeing my brother get on an elevator to get up there, and running under a chain and away. I have no idea where this comes from though...after seeing Dumbo...

Bytebear
01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
I think your mind move Dumbo into Tomorrowland.

Tinkermommy
01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Early 60s, going to Disneyland with my mother and grandmother when I was four. I remember going down the leaf in Alice, and being scared that the car would drive off the edge. I still think of her sitting beside me when I ride it!

I also remember, vaguely, talking to a character -- I think Goofy -- on some kind of telephone (not inside City Hall -- LOL). I remember getting a Disneyland coloring book as a souvenir, and thinking that was just the coolest thing a kid ever got.

DangerMouse
01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Watching the Main Street Electrical Parade on Main Street USA when I was 8 years old, and then getting separated from my parents right after. I went straight to City Hall to wait on the steps (just like I was told at the beginning of the day), while they searched all over the park for me. Boy, was I mad.

Crazy4DL
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
getting separated from my parents right after. I went straight to City Hall to wait on the steps (just like I was told at the beginning of the day), while they searched all over the park for me. Boy, was I mad.

omgosh! not funny really but I had to LOL! The little kid does what she is suppose to and the adults lose thier heads. :p

oregontraveler
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
First trip...I was 6 years old. My parents still tease me about dragging
them on IASW 5 times in a row. I also lost my Mickey ears at one point,
Dad wasn't too happy about buying a new pair.

raediance
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I always remember going on my birthday and picking up my cousins from school early. For some reason the only part I remember of our trips were the boat rides. Maybe because thats all we have pictures of. x)

jMom
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Whispering with my brother alllll night long at the Jolly Roger (which I remember to be a nice hotel) what Disneyland would be like.

It was 1977 and we were almost in Jr High. After hearing all about the park from cousins and classmates, we were FINALLY going!

I really remember the fun on TSI, with the revolving rock and getting "lost" in Injun Joe's cave and hearing him moaning. Finally seeing THM (after listening to it on a record for 2 years). Popcorn at dusk by the ROA from the HM vendor. The music. The little birds eating crumbs. Walking through Sleeping Beauty's castle -- how cool was that?!! Loving the Peter Pan flight over the Neverland Lagoon ... and "Come on, everybody -- here we goooooooo!" for about 45 minutes (and the entire night later in my dreams). The Castle!!! The surround movie of China. Journey through Inner Space. The Autopia, definitely!

njdrummer
01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Does this count? Growing up in New Jersey, I did'nt visit the park when I was young, but I do remember "Small World" and some other exibits from the World Fair in 1964.

mulansgirl
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
My first trip to DL was when I was two. My Grandma took me. She took me every year, and she bought my first AP I think I was 9 or 10.
Most vivid is the car ride from grandmas to DL that took "FOREVER". about twenty minuets. But really I recently went with my husband to disneyland after visiting my grandma and went "we are really here already, cause we are still suposed to be driving for another hour" So maybe "vivid" is not the best word.
going into america sings, country bear jamboree, and Mr. Lincoln so grandma could sit down in an air conditiond room and relax for 15 or so.
A lot of shopping well not so much shopping as following grandma around the shops as she looked at things but never bought anything. Again this felt like forever but I am sure it was (like the car ride) not as long as I remember.
Going on IASW, PotC, HM, Storybook land, Rides that were easy for grandma and grandpa to get my aunt Jenny out of the wheelchair and into the ride fairly easily. Or any ride Jenny really wanted to go on, I never mined though she has good taste. They hated going on Casy Jr. too hard for Jenny.
Always wanting to go on Tom Saywers island, and row a canoo. Grandma didnt want us to get dirty so we never went on those. I finaly went when I was 18.

01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
We started going in 1966, as near as I can figure it. Disneyland was kind of odd because all the guests and CMs were much clean cut than in the outside world. Back then, everyone dressed up a little to go to Disneyland.

dz4dsny
01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
It was about 1963. It was starting to get dark and my father, mother and I were headed toward Tomorrowland. My father had his arm around my shoulder. I felt someone remove his arm, which startled me, but then a big warm paw was placed across my shoulders. It was Pluto.

I've loved him ever since.

Maus
01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I was four years old. My mother worked at the Red Wagon Inn.

<------------------ July 4, 1957

LLevy
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
All I rememeber- I was probably 3- so it was in '63 -was being TERRIFIED on the Dumbo ride. I could look down and there was NOTHING HOLDING US UP! I was going to fall- I knew it!

though I remeber enjoying small world and carosel of progress in NY..

LL

Stupid_American
01-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Most most vivid memories are of exploring the caves on the island.
Many of today's visitors don't even head over there.

disney jones
01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
i remember the flying saucers - that's my earliest memory. must have been '63 or so.

then for several years, i thought i had just imagined DLR had them or i had just dreamed them up because in the late '60's/early '70 they certainly weren't there any more......

later when i saw pictures, it was exactly as i had remembered them. :D

raediance
01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
It was about 1963. It was starting to get dark and my father, mother and I were headed toward Tomorrowland. My father had his arm around my shoulder. I felt someone remove his arm, which startled me, but then a big warm paw was placed across my shoulders. It was Pluto.

I've loved him ever since.
Awww!!!

badprncess
01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
My earliest memory is buying a big lollipop on the way out of the park on my very first visit (I think I was 3 or so) then falling asleep in the backseat of my mom's jeep and waking up with the lollipop stuck in my hair LOL

DizneyMommy
01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I was 3 or 4 and Pinocchio and the cat (name...?) were on Main st when we walked in. I love the photo I have and I just wish that I could find them roaming Main St one day when my daughter is 3 or 4 to get a matching photo (though I won't torture her with wearing the same outfit - 80's!)

Enter The Mouse
01-02-2007, 09:55 PM
My earliest memory was pure terror while waiting for Pirates of the Carribean. I was four and I was afraid of loud noises. I had seen the connons on a sing along video so I knew what to expect. My parents forced me on knowing I would like it. I was screaming and kicking and crying, I even bit my dad on the hand. During the whole ride I was silent. My mom asked me after if I wanted to go again and I screamed no and scratched my mom on the face.
Now it's my favorite ride! :D

The reason I remember it so well: Theres video footage that my parents show all my friends...:p

I Heart Disneyland!
01-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Circa 1966, I was 5. Going to DL with my parents (before my mom's death) and riding on IASW with my mom. To this day, I cannot go on it without being in tears (happy memory tears).

I Heart Disneyland!
01-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Strutting down Main Street in my Davy Crockett sweatshirt like I owned the world. It was 1955 and I was 3.

--t

That is so cute, Tod!!!