PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best "Haunted Mansion?"

HBDisneyPrincess
05-26-2002, 11:01 AM
I just replied to the "which is the best Pirates" thread and I thought I'd start this one, since my opinion on this is compleatly different. :)

I'll wait for a few posts before I give my thoughts...happy posting!

- Me

Gemini Cricket
05-26-2002, 11:57 AM
HM Disneyland. By far.
:)

Disney Nick
05-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Is this even a discussion? DISNEYLAND by far.

DisneylandKid
05-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Is this even a discussion? DISNEYLAND by far. I've never been on any Haunted Mansion other than Disneyland's... I love it, but what makes it better than the rest?

944Lifer
05-26-2002, 05:31 PM
At the risk of alienating myself, I'm going to go with WDW's (though I haven't seem Phantom Manor or TDL's version). I think it looks more menacing from the outside, and I like the library section which DL's version lacks. I will say, however, that I prefer pasing Little Leota on the moving ramp up to the exit to passing her in a doom buggy in WDW.

danyoung
05-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
I've never been on any Haunted Mansion other than Disneyland's... I love it, but what makes it better than the rest?

In DL you have stretch rooms that actually drop down, while in WDW's the ceiling raises. A small effect, I know, but it matters to me. The walkway from the stretch rooms to the loading area is much more interesting in DL, with the busts that watch you, the changing portraits, etc. There is more detail going up the staircase at the beginning of the doom buggy ride in DL. There are a couple spots in WDW's where all you see is a plywood corner painted black with a black-lighted spider and web across it - cheap spookhouse effect. The center parts - Madam Leota, the ballroom, the graveyard and the hitchhiking ghosts are much the same (the attic is better in DL), but as someone else mentioned, Little Leota on the slideway back up is much cooler in DL.

All of that said, I enjoy either one, but I much prefer DL!

EandCDad
05-27-2002, 09:00 AM
I've been to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. I liked Paris better, more creepy, but I think that was because it was different after riding DL about 100 times.

Not Afraid
05-27-2002, 09:39 AM
I don't remember WDW - too long ago - but between Paris and DL its a tough choice. HM is among my Top 5 attractions in its many incarnations. I treasure HM, adore HMH and loved PM. The PM story/theme is really integrated into the Fronterland location and the story line is very different than the DL version.

I guess I'm waffeling. I like them all. I'm glad there's diferences that makes them each special and fantastic.

Phineas85
05-27-2002, 03:42 PM
i.) Exterior - a draw as both are well-themed to their relevant lands (I prefer WDW's out of personal taste). WDW has more noticeable tombstones outside (something you miss at DL if the full queue is not open) and are funnier.

ii.) WDW's foyer is far superior and atmospheric (I don't know how anyone could prefer DL's featurless foyer - WDW's is to be envied by DL);

iii.) DL stretch-room the best (though WDW has a better edit of the spiel);

iv.) DL loading area the best by far;

v.) The 4 extra ride scenes make ride section marginally better overall at WDW - a good mood setter before reaching thew main sections;

vi.) Seance and ballroom - draw;

vii.) Attic - spooks better at DL, Bride better at WDW;

viii.) Graveyard - draw (though caretaker is different at WDW);

ix.) Hitchhikers at WDW are best because they are still in their original form. DL ones have been refurbished quite differently;

x.) Little Leota is best at DL because you have a better view.

xi.) Although it's milder than DL, I prefer the different exit spiel given by the Ghost Host at WDW.

xii.) Show Presentation - WDW. The spiels in the foyer, stretch-room and load area at WDW are timed & programmed better, so nearly everyone hears them.

I don't like the way you have to rush in and out of the elevator to hear the beginning of the spiels at DL (it's easy for even the first person in or out to miss the "Welcome foolish mortals.." spiel and the "Oh, I didn't mean to frighten you.." one), or how CMs continue to let guests in after the stretch-rooms have opened and the foyer spiel is over (this is very bland and guests should be given the maximum effect). WDW is a slightly better presented show.

Overall, a lot of pros and cons here I think. I think it's unfair to call either of them the better, as for every fauklt one has, it will better the other somewhere else.

HBDisneyPrincess
05-27-2002, 05:47 PM
OK...well apparently there is a bit of a discussion ;)

Anyways, My big debate is between Disneyland and WDW's. I love our (Dinseyland's) elevator better, and I love the end with Madam Little Leota. However, I also love the library scene at WDW and queue (along the water.)

DIsneyland Paris is my third favorite, but for personal reasons. I think its too spooky and it left me with a creepy feeling. However, I wouldn't change it in a second because I really enjoy that although the ride is similar, it is in many ways much different than DL and WDW's. Its not a carbon copy and for that I give it Kudos.

However, DL Paris I think has the best show building on the outside.

I also really dig that, so far, each Mansion is in a different land (DL _New Orleans Square, WDW Liberty Square, DL Paris, Frontierland, and Tokyo (which I've yet to see :crying: ) Fantasyland.

Any word on where Hong Kong's is gonna be?

Napsto
05-27-2002, 06:12 PM
my mansion is pretty tight;)

Pony Sugrue
05-28-2002, 04:15 PM
WDW's mansion edges out DL's.

I think if you opened both HAUNTED MANSIONS on the same day (just to get over this "hey dude, it's the original" problem), I feel as though people would find WDW's mansion edging out DL's.

Here's why:

While both Mansions are pretty much identical from the time you encounter the long hall with the floating candles in it... until you reach the mirror scene; showing you riding with "Hitchhiking ghosts", Florida's 'doom buggy' ride precedes this "common ground" with a big portrait room scene, followed by a full library scene (where WDW's staring busts are found), and then followed by a full phantom pianist/organist's scene... before you even get to the "long hall/floating candles" part (Where DL's Doom buggy ride is only just beginning).

Even though Disneyland has multiple portraits and busts in the underground queue area (beating WDW's queue area), WDW's single "Master Gracy" portrait in the foyer (beating DL's foyer) is superior to all of DL's portraits... and WDW has more busts (than DL's two) found in its Library scene.

What about the elevators? What about "Little Leota's" postioning? What about the floating bride in FLA? Who cares? those shouldn't make or break the contest here. We're talking three extra big rooms in WDW, folks!! Nuff said.

With all that in mind, I don't think one can argue that WDW's is superior on the inside.

Now, as far as the outside, I like them both for fitting into their "lands":

WDW's is supposed to be based on upstate New York Dutch style... which fits in with early America and a "Sleepy Hollow" look (The Haunted Mansion was originally going to be based on "Sleepy Hollow", but I digress).

As far as DL goes, New Orleans is supposed to be the most Haunted City in America and thus, the old wrought-iron plantation look of the mansion befits "New Orleans Square".

I feel like both Mansions are too clean on the outside... but I think that's what Walt wanted for some reason. However, on the other side of the pond, Paris has a Haunted house that looks haunted. I hope I get to see it someday.

Hyperboy
05-28-2002, 04:44 PM
I like the original HM the best. Perhaps it's just a nostalgia thing, but I love the exterior, and of course the narration. And I love the hitchers at the end (PM just has a little skull that appears on the top of the doombuggy).

PM has better music though :)

Pony Sugrue
05-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hyperboy
I like the original HM the best. Perhaps it's just a nostalgia thing, but I love the exterior, and of course the narration. And I love the hitchers at the end...

I can see why you could have a preference on Exteriors (being quite different in styles from FLA to CA), but the "narration" and "hitchers" are found in both. Have you ever even been to Florida's Mansion?

Hyperboy
05-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue

I can see why you could have a preference on Exteriors (being quite different in styles from FLA to CA), but the "narration" and "hitchers" are found in both. Have you ever even been to Florida's Mansion?

Perhaps I should clarify: I have only been to the HMs in Paris and Anaheim.

Uncle Dick
05-28-2002, 05:17 PM
I've been on the Haunted Mansion in both California and Florida, but I only saw the WDW Haunted Mansion once about 6 years ago, compared to the countless trips I've made through the Disneyland HM since then. As a result, I can't remember any differences (aside from the exteriors). I do prefer the stretching room in Disneyland's version on principle, because it's an ingenious solution to the problem of the berm. I like it when imagineers formulate clever ways to work around problems.