PDA

View Full Version : Flash Photography on Pirates of the Caribbean

Pages : [1] 2

disneyland addict13
12-31-2006, 09:52 AM
My family took a trip to the Disneyland Resort this past July and overall, had a great time! It was the last time we were able to make it down during the 50th Anniversary so we were trying to take as much of it in as possible. We also loved getting to see the “new” Pirates of the Caribbean and rode it many times not only because it is our favorite ride on the entire resort, but because we wanted to find all of the changes that had been made to it. However, on our last day at Disneyland, we decided to make Pirates of the Caribbean our final ride. The ride started out fine but once we got down past the second dip, at least 3 or 4 people on our boat pulled out their cameras and proceeded to take flash pictures. We waited just a bit, hoping they would stop, but when they didn’t, we kindly said, “No flash photography please.” They all looked at us in a very irritated way and then just continued to take pictures. Now, my mom, being the good sport that she is, just told us all to try to ignore it and just enjoy the ride, but it was difficult for me because I kept waiting to hear a CM announce over the loudspeaker for the people in our boat to please stop taking flash pictures. However, this never happened. Has anybody ever had an experience like this? Did a CM ever come over a loudspeaker and say something?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback. This of course didn’t ruin our trip but it put a bit of a damper on our last day. Oh well, we’re still Disneyland lovers all the same! :)

Mermaid
12-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I had this happen to me on my July trip too. This was the only time it happened. Same scenario- a couple of people started doing it, we asked them to stop. One did. One didn't. He pretended like he didn't hear us but he obviously did. My mom was livid! She told the CM at the end of the ride but there wasn't much he could do. Oh well!

PanFan
12-31-2006, 10:48 AM
This happened when I went on it at WDW in July as well as the last time I went on it here. Everybody wanted pictures of the new Jack's. No CM's ever announced anything. I probably should have said something, but didn't.

annieb727
12-31-2006, 10:52 AM
That happened to me a couple of times...once when they wouldn't let up, I finally took my camera out and took some flash pictures - I figure if I have to endure their flashes, I might as well get a few good pictures

june1st1997
12-31-2006, 11:08 AM
This happened to us a few months back (with a video camera) and it was horrible. In my opinion it runied the ride.

They did make some announcements over the loudspeaker, and finally the person stopped.

I may be over stepping my bounds... But I don't think it's ok to do something you know is wrong... Just because someone else is doing it.

I think it is the height of selfishness to break the rules and ruin a ride for someone. Disneyland is about the illusion. Flash photog. on a dark ride ruins that.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I am firmly convinced that the promiscuous and gratuitous use of flash is the primary reason why so many museums, even those in which all exhibits were in the public domain since before anybody currently alive was born, and which don't sell photographs of their exhibits, have seen fit to prohibit photography entirely.

Part of the problem is that flash photography has become more socially acceptable in general. And I think this is mainly because (1) zoom lenses (which, unless they're huge, enormously expensive, and only sharp enough for video work, tend to be several stops slower than fixed-focal-length lenses) have become the rule, rather than the exception, and (2) electronic flash itself has gone from being a fairly pricey accessory, to being dirt cheap, and built into everything from pro SLRs to single-use cameras.

That is also where I place the blame for the fact that demand for 100-speed and slower film has become so low that almost nobody stocks it any more.

I don't even OWN a zoom lens for the somewhat-antiquated 35mm SLR system I use (Mamiya ZE series). My 50mm lenses have maximum apertures ranging from f/1.7 to f/1.4, and my SLOWEST lens is a 28mm f/3.5. I can hand-hold down to 1/30 with good results, even slower if I'm lucky. When I travel, I normally carry 1 SLR body loaded with 100-speed film, and one (with an f/1.4 lens on it) loaded with 800-speed film, for interiors and other low-light situations. And I normally keep the flash on my digital camera turned completely off.

I remember one visit to the Art Institute of Chicago. Art museums, as a rule, not only have no reason to permit photography at all; indeed, if they have reasonably well-stocked gift shops, they have every reason to prohibit photography. And yet, most, including the Art Institute of Chicago, allow photography of their permanent collections, so long as it is strictly by available light. At any rate, I think it was at most, my second visit to the Art Institute, and I was strolling through the Asian gallery, not far from the Main Entrance. And there was an apparently foreign tourist who kept popping off flash after flash, even after the guard repeatedly told her to turn the flash off. I gave the guard a sympathetic glance; I was suppressing the urge to clobber the tourist, and scream in her face, "WHAT PART OF 'NO FLASH' DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT THE MUSEUM DOESN'T HAVE TO ALLOW CAMERAS AT ALL? DON'T YOU REALIZE YOU'RE INTERFERING WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S ENJOYMENT OF THE MUSEUM, AND ENDANGERING THE PHOTOGRAPHY PRIVILEGES OF THOSE OF US WHO ARE FOLLOWING THE RULES? DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT IF THEY ALLOWED EVERYBODY TO POP OFF FLASHES, IT WOULD EVENTUALLY ACCELERATE THE FADING PROCESS?"

As I recall from my first visit to Boston, the Old State House Museum allowed photography (at least, at the time), but cautioned visitors that the galleries were monitored for the use of flash, and that if you used flash, they would find you, and remove you.

jMom
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
... The ride started out fine but once we got down past the second dip, at least 3 or 4 people on our boat pulled out their cameras and proceeded to take flash pictures. We waited just a bit, hoping they would stop, but when they didn’t, we kindly said, “No flash photography please.” They all looked at us in a very irritated way and then just continued to take pictures. Now, my mom, being the good sport that she is, just told us all to try to ignore it and just enjoy the ride, but it was difficult for me because I kept waiting to hear a CM announce over the loudspeaker for the people in our boat to please stop taking flash pictures. However, this never happened. Has anybody ever had an experience like this? Did a CM ever come over a loudspeaker and say something?
Ran into a bad case of this in the mid-80s ... one guy was just going nuts with the flash. My BF at the time finally stood up in the boat and roared "HEY!!! NO. FLASH. PHOTOGRAPHY!!! THAT MEANS YOU!!!" :|

He wasn't tall, but he sure made an impression. All of us with him almost died of shame, but were secretly pleased, especially when they guy stopped taking the pics as a result. We never heard a CM over the loudspeaker, and I've always understood that a flash damages the audioanimatronics ...

Bytebear
12-31-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a digital SLR and know how to turn off the flash, which I always do. I also know how to use the apature to get good night vision shots. I was really embarased when a guy in our boat a couple rows up started taking flash pictures. I ignored him, but the CM didn't and his voiced boomed out a warning over the speakers. I was mortified because I had my camera and I am sure he thought it was the guy with the big fancy camera.

Gone2Disneyland
12-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Has anybody ever had an experience like this? Did a CM ever come over a loudspeaker and say something?
Yep, and yep. I've been on Pirates with flashers ;) in my bateaux and waited for a CM to put them to shame only to hear nothing from above. Then other times, I'd gratefully hear a CM with the announcement. It's a hit and miss thing unfortunately. Altho' the next time I ride along with flashers, I may be tempted to break down and use annieb727's tact and snap and flash along with 'em.

stan4d_steph
12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I once asked some people to stop taking flash pictures on Haunted Mansion and the woman turned to me and said "Do you work here?"

I usually ask people to please turn off their flash. Most just act as if they couldn't give a flying fig.

Donald Duck Fan68
12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
I once asked some people to stop taking flash pictures on Haunted Mansion and the woman turned to me and said "Do you work here?"

I usually ask people to please turn off their flash. Most just act as if they couldn't give a flying fig.

People who choose to break rules usually justify it in one of three ways:

1. If there's no one in authority to enforce it (that is, catch me in the act), then it's OK for me to break the rule.

2. While I know there's a rule prohibiting this, it shouldn't apply to ME in this situation because... (fill in with any number of excuses, like taking the pictures for a sick child who couldn't make the trip and these pictures will make up for it).

3. What rule?

futurecm21
12-31-2006, 02:55 PM
I absolutely hate it when people disregard the rules and take flash photos on rides like Pirates of the Caribbean. It completely ruins the atmosphere when someone in your boat is taking photos like theres no tommorow in the middle of the Blue Bayou, or in the Ghostly Grotto. This happened to me on my last trip, and yes we got an anouncement from what sounded like an angry CM. However, I wouldn't be afraid to yell very loudly if we didn't get an anouncement, people need to learn to follow rules.
futurecm21

mistofviolets
12-31-2006, 03:45 PM
*blushing* I did not realize it was against the rules until I was trying to get a pick of my dd *finally* smiling on a ride (Instead of sniffling and hanging on for dear life) and the rider behind me upped his voice a bit and told his companion an exagerated tale (I hope) of having the ride shut down and the CM come in after him to threaten to remove the camera...

I got the point and did not try to take any more pics on rides.

I guess I'm just an 80's kid...didn't even realize how it could affect the mood of others on the ride. (though this was a brightly lit, upbeat ride, fwiw)

MouseWife
12-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I would take a picture in their direction so that they could be blinded and have the effects of the flash in their eyes. :~D

It is rude to use a flash in the dark like that because it effects the eyes of others and it does ruin the ride to me. So, I probably wouldn't flash 'em unless it wouldn't affect anyone else.

I hadn't heard about it ruining the animatronics, but I have heard this at the Hearst Castle that it damages items.

It ruins the experience because the flash will expose things not meant to be exposed.

Good for you Steph. And, she answered you in English so what part of no flash photography did she not understand?

atrder9901
12-31-2006, 04:39 PM
This happened to us during our trip to Disney earlier this month. We were in the second row of the boat on Pirates and the guy in front of us was taking flash pictures like his life depended on it. You could tell that people were getting irritated, but I dont think anyone wanted to "rock the boat." Of all the people to say something, my 5 year old yelled "They said no taking pictures." I think the guy felt embarassed that he got told off by a 5 year old and he finally put his camera away. The people sitting behind us in the 3rd row tapped my son on the shoulder and told him "way to tell him buddy!"

Klutch
12-31-2006, 09:32 PM
I experienced the new Nemo ride at Epcot recently and the entire show was "enhanced" by a strobe light from the vehicle ahead of me. I'm serious, this person must have literally held down the shutter button during the entire ride.

For those who haven't yet seen this ride, it's very dark and relies heavily on lighting. Obviously, having a nonstop flash next to you almost ruins the entire experience. I'll have to go back to actually experience the Nemo ride.

It seems now would be a good time to release my new invention. It completely disables cameras of all types for a pre-set range; up to 100 yards (or a lot more for the non-FCC-approved version). I had planned to market this gadget to celebrities in order to foil paparazzi. Looks like I just found a new market. ;) (I'm currently trying to convince churches and theaters to install my cell phone disabling equipment.)

I Heart Disneyland!
12-31-2006, 10:13 PM
When we were there in November, the same scenario happened. Nobody came over a loud speaker, we just had to put up with it and I was SO annoyed!!!!!

Vegitabeta
01-01-2007, 03:30 AM
There was a girl on POTC in front of me one time, and she was flashing all the time, and I could see her deleting every photo that she took, because you couldn't see anything in it! I was thinking, you're obviously not gonna get a decent shot, so you might as well just put it away and enjoy the ride!

julbright
01-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Just for clarification - do rides like POTC and HM have an announcement stating no flash photography? I know the shows all do - but I don't recall hearing that on the rides?

Vegitabeta
01-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I didn't think they had an announcement, I thought it was just a couple of little signs as you board the ride, can't say I've taken much notice lol

Actually, in the HM, doesn't the ghost host say something about 'no pictures please, our ghosts/ghouls/whatever are frightfully sensitive'...or something like that?

Squeaky
01-01-2007, 04:06 PM
a little bit of subject, but still under the heading of rule-breaking--

We were on Haunted Mansion in July, and there was a teen (looked like he could be between 15 and 19) who kept playing like he was going to get out of his Doom Buggy! He was directly behind us, so we could see him on the spin parts. He kept kicking his legs out, throwing his arms out, and of course, his friend thought he was just a riot and was screeching with laughter. One CM stopped the buggies in the hallway, in the seance room, in the dining room, in the attic, and in the graveyard. Everytime she stopped the ride, she would stay "Please stay seated in your doom buggy." Everytime she had to remind the guy, you could hear she was getting a little more impatient. Finally, when we got to the graveyard, she stopped the ride for five minutes and kept reminding him to stop. (We got stuck in front of the singing heads; we know all their facial expressions very well lol) When we got off the ride, we saw the guy and a female CM to the left (behind the gate.) He was looking at the ground, hands in his pockets, digging his toe into the ground, and she had a flashlight and was waving it around, looking up at him (she was maybe 5'2", he was probably about 5'9") giving him a "talking to." We heard her say things like "completely unsafe" and "could get hurt" and "I'll call security and have you removed." I'm glad he was talked to; imagine how many other rides he could have done that on. I'm glad he didn't get away with it, even tho it meant an extra long ride on HM for us! (could be a good or bad thing being stuck on that ride... the heads were starting to bug us lol)

MouseWife
01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I wish they would only get one chance. Maybe two.

{only 'cause sometimes I wonder if my kids would be that silly...but if they were they'd stop as soon as they were reprimanded. But...they think people like that are rude and inconsiderate...but twice should stop any kid who goes a little off track...no, my kids wouldn't do that...they are angels....:D
the ramblings of a mad MouseWife...:geek: }

Mickeygirlforever
01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
We where just there the first week in December and it happened to us too! We usually save Pirates as our last ride of our trip because it's my mom and my favorite ride. The first time, the guy was sitting on the front row, us on the second. He didn't start until we got down to the skeleton caves. Now we understood why he wanted to wait until he could sit on the front row. I kept glaring at my mom and was very close to telling him off big time. I was so ticked that we decided to ride it again. The second ride was perfect, no annoying people in the boat, etc. My brother wanted to ride it once more (he just found out how brave he can be holding his hands up going down the hills). The third ride was awful! The camera was behind us now and took pictures the whole time as well. I especially get mad when they take one of Jack at the very end. That's my favorite Jack, don't ruin it for me ok?? I'm fine with pics being taken, just no flash. If everyone would just follow the rules, every single person in that park would have a great experience.

Enter The Mouse
01-01-2007, 07:52 PM
This happened to me as well. It was a man in the very back of the boat snapping pictures. I was in the front of the boat and was ticked off. I turned around and told him "No flash photography". He acted like he didn't care but he stopped.

HiHoSilver
01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Just for clarification - do rides like POTC and HM have an announcement stating no flash photography? I know the shows all do - but I don't recall hearing that on the rides?
Good question ... especially since Disney is generally so liberal in the areas of photography & video at their attractions. Last year, I specifically recall a CM announcing before the Aladdin Musical at DCA that it was OK to video the show. Despite this announcement, a man near me tried for several minutes to get a woman to stop video-taping during the show. And trust me ... this woman was bothering nobody. The other man just assumed that it was "against the rules" to video the show.