PDA

View Full Version : Character Meals, this is my last attempt [Storytellers]

DangerMouse
12-30-2006, 06:11 PM
After two horrible character meal experiences: one at Paradise Pier (was Minnie & Friends at the time) and Goofy's Kitchen, I had completely sworn of character meals altogether.

Well, the kids are really wanting to try again. So this is your last chance DLR! I'm getting a PS for Storytellers (which better be good, darn it!) I'm shooting for first seating (7 or 7:30 am) and we're ordering off the menu (because I can't bring myself to pay over $20 for the small amt of food we all eat).

I am looking forward to the low-key, more quiet atmosphere, not to mention banana stuffed french toast.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences at Storytellers for breakfast. If we get there at 7:30, will we make it to EE at DLR by 9:00 am? Or should I shoot for 7 am?

Thanks for any input.

kisroo
12-30-2006, 06:17 PM
We loved Storytellers for exactly the reasons you mentioned: better food selection AND quality as well as more low key character interactions/atmosphere. It was perfect for our very shy niece. It was also nice to have the choice of either the buffet~which looked good~or the menu offerings.

Goofy's food just flat out grossed us out the last time we ate there. Never tried Minnie's at PP.

I think your time should be fine at 7:30 but I guess that would depend on the time of year and crowds as well. We went close to 10:30 last Dec. and it was fairly quiet.

Hope you enjoy it. I know we did!

~kisroo:)

Wendi
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Storyteller's Cafe is my favorite breakfast experience anywhere at DLR. It's the French Toast... for sure! I like the buffet because I get a lot of choices and if I want juice and coffee the price is just about the same as ordering off the menu. The character interaction is fairly low-key, but good interaction. Characters will sit at the table and hang out with you, they aren't running, jumping, dancing around... no loud music or fanfare, just visiting, photos, autographs, etc. The food is sooooooo very good. The service has always been fine for me, sometimes it can be a bit slow, but I have never had a really bad experience there.

What was it that made your other character breakfasts so disastrous? This might help to figure out which restaurant might be a better choice for you.

Goosegirl
12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
We have eaten at all the Character meals, except for Lilo and Stitch at the PPH. Our favorite by far is the Storyteller's Cafe. Our kids love the food and the animals. Our toddler has PTSD and yet she has never been afraid of the charaters at Storytellers. We love the french toast, the waffles, and the hot chocolate. We have never ordered off the menu, because we really like the buffet. And we basically stuff ourselves! We usually go for the first seating and have never had a problem there.

disney jones
12-30-2006, 11:38 PM
we've eaten all the character meals multiple times. Lilo and Stitch is the best for character interaction and to me the best over all experience.

Storyteller's has the best food, but just not too much character interaction.

rentayenta
12-31-2006, 06:41 AM
DangerMouse, I hear you on Goofy's- bleh! We have done Goofy's 3x. The first time: the best! The character interaction was great and the food was hot and fresh. The next experience had gone down hill considerably, and our last attempt was Christmas Day 2004. We haven't and won't be back.

We have had terrific luck with the Princess meal in DCA. The service is painfully slow but the Pricesses are fab and the food is good, not great, but edible for sure.

I have had the food at Storyteller's twice and both times it was really good. We have yet to do a character meal there but I am pretty sure it will be on the Dec. agenda for next year.

I would like to try Minnie and Friends and Lilo and Stitch.

12-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Have fun, DangerMouse.

For anyone toying with the buffet v. ą la carte, the fresh fruit on the buffet is amazing.

DizneyMommy
12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
We have done the SC breakfast a couple of times, both during slow days. Our 2 year old loved it, though the gorilla (what's his name... Terk or something?) pretty well freaked her out. He spent quite a while at our table trying to let her warm up to him, but she was much happier pointing to him from across the restaurant and laughing. The only other character there for the whole 2 hours was Chip and Dale but they never came by. The food is amazing, we eat there for dinner often and the buffet at breakfast is wonderful.

babytmakes5
12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
We absolutely loved Storyteller's Breakfast last month. We, too, didn't have great experiences with Goofy's kitchen--it was just too chaotic, the food was icky, and character interaction was lousy. We've done Storyteller's twice now, and we have found it to be right up our alley. It's quiet, the food is wonderful (both buffet and off-the-menu), and character interaction is just what we like. Storyteller's may not have as many characters as you may find at Ariel's or the Plaza Inn, but we feel this gives us all a chance to actually EAT while we are at a restaurant! The first time we went (2004), Chip actually sat at our table and fed my 17-month old--it was so sweet. Both times we have had early breakfasts (7:30 am last time), and I think that helps to get a little more character time. This might sound strange, but we also really like the lighting and decor of the restaurant--it really makes for some great photos. In fact, the photo we have of our children with Dale this year was our Christmas card. Enjoy your character meal--I'll be really surprised if you don't have a great time. ;)

Nancy
12-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Are the $$$prices$$$ at Storytellers and Goofys about the same? We've only been to Goofys but would like to try the other buffets someday. Is the food the same type as well?

Maus
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
(I am looking forward to the low-key, more quiet atmosphere, not to mention banana stuffed french toast.

Unless they've changed it recently, it's not banana-stuffed. Here's the recipe from a previous post:

Caramel French Toast
Storytellers Cafe©, Disney's™ Grand Californian Hotel

(As published in Disney Magazine, Winter 2003-2004)

For the caramel sauce:
4 Tbl butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup heavy cream

For the vanilla sauce:
2 egg yolks
2 Tbl sugar
1 cup milk
½ vanilla bean, split and scraped

For the French toast:
1 jumbo egg
1 cup whole milk
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbl butter
8 pieces Texas toast-style thick bread

Make the caramel sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Keep warm until needed.

Make the vanilla sauce: Whisk together the yolks and sugar in a small bowl. In a saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla beans to a low boil, then remove from heat. Add a little of the heated milk to the egg mixture to temper it, then add the tempered egg mixture to the heated milk. Simmer over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened, but do not boil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside in an ice bath.

In a shallow bowl, beat together egg, milk and vanilla extract. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of butter. One at a time, dip the bread slices in the milk mixture and place in the skillet. Evenly brown both sides of bread. Transfer to a plate and spread a spoonful or two of vanilla sauce on 4 slices. Top each with a second piece to create sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Cover each with a couple of spoonfuls of warm caramel sauce. Serves 4.

Tiki
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
We always do ST for breakfast every trip. I love the eggs benedict and the caramel french toast is good. I usually plan it for our last day though because we tend to eat a lot and then feel kind of sluggish the rest of the day.

We have breakfasted at Goofy's once and we had a great time! I had brought my friend and her son with us on that trip, the first trip to DL for both of them, and it could not have been more perfect. Mary Poppins decided that we needed some nannying so she stayed with us through most of our meal. She was fussing over my friends son and after a couple of minutes, I felt like she really WAS Mary Poppins! Jacob got a complete lesson on proper manners including sitting up straight, removing his cap, placing his napkin, and how to use a knife and fork in the European way. She was amazing!

I can't say that I was impressed by the food, I don't remember it like I do the Storytellers buffett, but it sure was a memorable experience thanks to Mary!