PDA

View Full Version : Just got a couple of prizes due to the Mail-In entries to the YOAMD contest

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Darkbeer
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
The Mailman just came to the door, with TWO packages from Walt Disney World (Lake Buena Vista, Florida), both 10"x8"x6", certified mail costing $6.80 each in postage.

Each box had a Pair of WDW Dream Ears and a card, which had this message written in English, Spanish and French. (Disney Font)

Congratulations, as part of the Year of a Million Dreams celebration, you are a winner in the Disney Dreams Giveaway.

Keep Dreamin!

Carrie Schiden
Area Manager Dream Squad

So it does pay to send in those postcards daily (I do two a day, one of me, and one for Lisa).

In case you want to know more about how you can win by sending in a postcard, just check out the thread below.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60858

kohl
12-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Congratulations Darkbeer!!!
I have been mailing in entries everyday for my family. Hoping we will recieve something soon.

Darkbeer
12-30-2006, 03:11 PM
By the way, the packages were postmarked December 28th from Orlando. Plus this might just have been the ears, and that other prizes will be coming in a few days (Heck, the USPS gets three days off due to NYD and in respect for President Ford, so no mail until Wednesday).

Susan L
12-30-2006, 03:15 PM
:cool:

dznyphreak
12-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Great...two less for us to win!

Now we only have a 1 in 1,499,998 chance. Thanks...

:D ;)

Tinkermommy
12-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Cool! Congratulations!

I've been sending postcards, and have been to the resort probably 8-10 times since the promotion started. So far, I haven't even seen anybody receiving a dream, although I have seen a number of people wearing the ears and dream fastpasses.

I did note yesterday (Friday) that I didn't even see a single set of ears, and only saw one guy with a fastpass. I've been joking with my daughter that I refuse to spend a dime on YOAMD merchandise until I win a dream...LOL! :rolleyes:

flynnibus
12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Two a day? :o

ktrm
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
This is a nit picky question. I noticed when I bought prepaid 24 cent postcards from the post office that they were 3.5" x 5.5" not 3.5" x 5" like the dream giveaway website specifies. Does this make any difference? I do not want to take the time to modify the size. I could not find any 3.5" x 5" postcards.

ktrm
12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Ooops just completely read Darkbeers attachment to the original post on this thread. Is everyone still cutting the 1/2" off the postcards? Does anyone know if Disney will accept 3.5"x5.5" postcards. Would Disney send back any postcards that don't meet their requirement or would they just be thrown away? This is getting to be more work then I planned for.

Malcon10t
01-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Ooops just completely read Darkbeers attachment to the original post on this thread. Is everyone still cutting the 1/2" off the postcards? Does anyone know if Disney will accept 3.5"x5.5" postcards. Would Disney send back any postcards that don't meet their requirement or would they just be thrown away? This is getting to be more work then I planned for.
I don't know about Disney, but other contests, when they receive a postcard outside the requirements, trash them. Since it is an outside agency managing this, I would assume that is what would happen. I cut mine.

Darkbeer
01-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I am cutting the USPS postcards a 1/2 inch, to remain within the rules, as mentioned above, most companies that handle sweepstakes will void an entry that doesn't match up with the rules, such as size, using computer printed info instead of your name and address being hand written, etc.

It doesn't take long, the first thing I do after getting the postcards from the post office, is sit down and cut off the half inch with a pair of scissors. I measure one, and then use it as a guide to cut the rest.

Then I apply the labels to the front, and the the last step is hand writing the name, address and other info on the back.

Malcon10t
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I am cutting the USPS postcards a 1/2 inch, to remain within the rules, as mentioned above, most companies that handle sweepstakes will void an entry that doesn't match up with the rules, such as size, using computer printed info instead of your name and address being hand written, etc.
I am curious on one thing. How does this work when someone is disabled and cannot write by hand? Are they not allowed to enter?

Katlovett
01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I am curious on one thing. How does this work when someone is disabled and cannot write by hand? Are they not allowed to enter?

It would be unfair if Professor Stephen Hawkings is not allowed to enter the contest. Maybe Disney's ADA accommodation is to allow disabled people who cannot write to have "designated writers" to write out their entries for them. Similarly, with regard to people who use their feet or mouths to write, I would expect Disney to accept those entries as well.

When I took the State Bar exam, there were several interim ID checks to weed out body-double cheating (professional test-takers.) One of the ID checks was an index fingerprint and a thumbprint. The instructions included an explanation that if the person taking the test did not have these fingers, they were to do prints of the corresponding toes. Also, as I recall it, if you could not write or type as a result of a disability then you could arrange an oral exam.

Katprint

ktrm
01-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought it was nice that Disney gives some cash to pay taxes on the very large prizes. Anyone figured out if it is enough? I guess it depends on your personal income. A friend of mine figures that taxes come to about 1/3 of the prize value. Sound right? You always hear of those horror stories of people who can't pay the taxes on a prize that is "valued" at a certain amount money but in reality is only worth a fraction of it.

Tony P
01-01-2007, 07:36 PM
When I sent the postcards with the 1/2-inch cut off, I had them ALL returned from the post office stating undeliverable due to size. That's going to stink if the ones that I have sent after that (without the 1/2-inch cut off) won't be put into the drawing. It took 2 weeks for the other postcards to come back and that was for the 4 people in our house.
Tony

Tinkermommy
01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
When I sent the postcards with the 1/2-inch cut off, I had them ALL returned from the post office stating undeliverable due to size.

Whoa! Was that the postcards sold by the post office? I bought those, and have been sending the cut-off version. None have come back.

It would have been so much simpler if only Disney had gone with the standard post office card size...yeesh. :confused:

Darkbeer
01-01-2007, 07:47 PM
When I sent the postcards with the 1/2-inch cut off, I had them ALL returned from the post office stating undeliverable due to size. That's going to stink if the ones that I have sent after that (without the 1/2-inch cut off) won't be put into the drawing. It took 2 weeks for the other postcards to come back and that was for the 4 people in our house.
Tony

I haven't had one postcard returned, but I am very careful to not cut off more than a 1/2 inch, the MINIMUM size allowed by the USPS is 3.5" by 5", so if I am slightly off, I have a card that is SLIGHTLY longer than 5 inches, but as close to 5 inches as possible.

Disneyfalcon
01-02-2007, 08:16 AM
YEA!! I'm so glad the mail ins are working!! I've faithfully sent in 4 a day! Can't wait for the mail tomorrow!:)

MouseWife
01-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Darn it. No mail today. I am soooo curious if there is anything else coming Darkbeers way???

And, I bought postcards but never mailed them!! Man!! I need to find them and get them out...

{I will re-read the rules....and I will cut!!}

r-we-there-yet
01-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks alot Darkbeer!! My wife read your thread, and I just got done filling out 300 of them there dag gum post cards (there is five in our family, so she figured it would cover one month). I'm starting to question your intentions. :eek:

kohl
01-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I've been going crazy with no mail for 3 days! I'm hoping my mailman was slow with the mail (he usually is :rolleyes: ) and brings me a surprise today!!!!

kohl
01-03-2007, 01:04 PM
WE WON! WE WON!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
My son is freaking out! We got the dream ears and a lanyard with pins on it!
The mailman came to the door because you have to sign for the prizes.
My son says he is never taking off the ears. I told them that this is the first month. HOPEFULLY we will win more prizes next month.
Thanks Darkbeer for your help with the postcards. IT WORKED!!:D

r-we-there-yet
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Darkbeer and Kohl, I was wondering how long have you been sending in your postcards so far. :)

Darkbeer
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I started in mid-September, when the contest first started, 2 every "postal" day (one for myself and my GF daily).

This set of prizes is for the prizes selected by the randomizer computer system inside the parks for the month of October.

Another drawing was held just before Christmas for November, and those prizes should be arriving in about a month.

There is still 12 months worth of prizes still to be won. You can mail one entry per person thru December 31st, 2007, with those prizes arriving around March, 2008.

So start sending your postcards today, but understand you need some patience, as it will take 2 to 3 months before you have the chance to get a prize in the mail.

kohl
01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't remember if I started sending them in September or October, but I have been mailing them everyday!