PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Southern Californian Discount Offer - The 2fer is coming back

Darkbeer
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Starting Wednesday, January 3rd, folks who can prove they live in the Southern California or Baja California, Mexico will have the opportunity to purchase and use the "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!" tickets. The price is expected to cost around $65 (maybe $66), the new One-Day, One Park ticket price, which also goes up January 3rd.

The Gift Cards have been printed and sent out to the VONS supermarkets and for use in the Disney Stores. (And is how I confirmed the info).

The second day of use will once again be a maximum of 30 days after the first day of use, or April 26th, whichever comes first.

Opus1guy
12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
So...how much more would I have to pay to not have to go to California Adventure?

;)

Kidding aside...Thanks for the heads up. I just had an inquiry yesterday on possible SoCal Disneyland specials.

tod
12-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Y'know, this is the kind of thing that screwed up Tower Records.

How many times did you go into Tower, and see an item, and think "This is too high, I'll come back when it's on special." And the special would come and you would buy the CD and they would make less money. Eventually it killed 'em.

How many people aren't going to Disneyland unless there's a special going on? "I have to buy an AP because I'm not gonna fork out $80 for one day."

They have to stop discounting the product, or they're going to go the way of Tower Records. Reminds me of the joke about the guy who was buying pencils for a nickel and selling them for three cents.

A friend asked him how was business.

"Great -- but the volume is killing me."

--t

nightdesigns
12-31-2006, 07:17 AM
How many people aren't going to Disneyland unless there's a special going on? "I have to buy an AP because I'm not gonna fork out $80 for one day."

I think this is totally different from Tower Records. Disney has a problem, how do you get the locals to visit the park? Most people who live within a few hours of DL don't go. There is the percentage of us who have passes and go frequently, but compared to the population of Socal, that's small.

Disney uses these deals to bring in people who otherwise won't go. Sure they lose admission on the DCA, but they've gained a 1 day admission that would otherwise never have gotten. Also, it's in the off-season so it keeps the numbers up in slower times. Also, food and merchandise have huge mark-ups, these people are also purchasing which equals more to the bottom line.

One of the reasons tower is going under is because places like target, wallmart and amazon are selling CD's for less than Tower can purchase them. They have the volume to get better prices (and sometimes sell them at a loss to get people in the door). Tower just didn't have the volume to do that. (This fact comes from my unclue who is/was a buyer for the chain)

Darkbeer
01-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Watching the Rose Bowl Pre-parade coverage on KTLA, Channel 5 in Los Angeles, and they already have run the "Rockin' Both Parks" Disneyland Commercial, which features the "2fer" offer that begins January 3rd.

tod
01-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I think this is totally different from Tower Records. Disney has a problem, how do you get the locals to visit the park? Most people who live within a few hours of DL don't go. There is the percentage of us who have passes and go frequently, but compared to the population of Socal, that's small.

Disney uses these deals to bring in people who otherwise won't go. Sure they lose admission on the DCA, but they've gained a 1 day admission that would otherwise never have gotten. Also, it's in the off-season so it keeps the numbers up in slower times. Also, food and merchandise have huge mark-ups, these people are also purchasing which equals more to the bottom line.

But each person in the park costs Disney money. Wear and tear on the park, custodial, toilet paper and paper towels in the bathrooms, napkins, ketchup packets, everything has its cost. When you discount admission you are cutting your own throat. take another look atthe joke about teh guy with the pencils.

One of the reasons tower is going under is because places like target, wallmart and amazon are selling CD's for less than Tower can purchase them. They have the volume to get better prices (and sometimes sell them at a loss to get people in the door). Tower just didn't have the volume to do that. (This fact comes from my unclue who is/was a buyer for the chain)

Tower was a "catalog store" where you could get anything that was in print, right now. They had knowlegeable staff, large, clean, well-lighted stores, and an inventory that was second to none. Target and Wal-Mart were no match, although they had a lot of the latest American Idol runner-ups at discount prices, and Amazon may have beaten Tower's prices, but add in the shipping charge and the several-day wait and it's a push at best.

Tower should have never gotten into trouble. But their daily prices were too high, and people waited for sales to but merchandise. That is what killed them.

If people wait for a sale price to go to Disneyland, then Disneyland may suffer the same fate.

--t

nightdesigns
01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Tower was a "catalog store" where you could get anything that was in print, right now. They had knowlegeable staff, large, clean, well-lighted stores, and an inventory that was second to none. Target and Wal-Mart were no match, although they had a lot of the latest American Idol runner-ups at discount prices, and Amazon may have beaten Tower's prices, but add in the shipping charge and the several-day wait and it's a push at best.

While tower carried a huge and diverse catalog, unfortunately, those aren't the types of music that bring in the dollars anymore. The targets and Wal-Marts, while their catalogs are limited, probably have 90% of what people want. When i thought of a new cd coming out that I wanted, I wouldn't go to Tower, I'd go to Target (partially too because I'd be there anyway within a week or two)

Alex S.
01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
But each person in the park costs Disney money. Wear and tear on the park, custodial, toilet paper and paper towels in the bathrooms, napkins, ketchup packets, everything has its cost. When you discount admission you are cutting your own throat.

Definitely, if admission was the only way people donated their money to Disney. But there are many other ways that people cough up their money once inside the park so the picture is a lot muddier.

Tower should have never gotten into trouble. But their daily prices were too high, and people waited for sales to buy merchandise. That is what killed them.

According to Tower what killed them was that the sector of their clienele that subsidized the people who wanted that extensive library and knowledgable service abandoned the store for online downloads and because the labels dramactically reduced the production of singles.

Teenagers didn't care if the store carried everything available in print or if the staff was knowledgable. Once they could get music for free (through P2P) and the labels stopped making the singles that they could afford, they abandoned the store in droves. Once they were left with just the "thoughtful consumers" they began to have financial trouble.

I have no idea if that is true (heck, when I bought some DVDs at their going out of business sale it was my first visit to a Tower in about 8 years) but that is what the honchos said on NPR a couple months ago.

donaldquackers
01-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Back to the topic. My DH and I are from Utah. My sister is in SoCal. If she buys the tickets and comes with us can we all use this deal?

Darkbeer
01-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Back to the topic. My DH and I are from Utah. My sister is in SoCal. If she buys the tickets and comes with us can we all use this deal?

Based on the official wording, NO, you must be a SoCal (or Baja Cal, Mexico) resident with proof of residence to USE the ticket.

But in reality, seems like the CM's do not bother checking ID's at the turnstiles. But of course, you might just be the one they check......