PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: Should Foods Have Solo Eater Lines?

Pages : [1] 2

Niwel
12-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I was thinking about what makes the biggest back-ups when eating...
It isn't the CMs -- who work VERY hard under not-slways-so-great conditions -- it is the families that have multi meals who change their order several times (as they order). You've seen em -- you are usually stuck behind em.... Most MPers don't fall into this category (they plan what they want to eat while they are in line and not when they get to the cashier).

Because of the way the lines are designed, it is often difficult to tell if you are in line behind someone ordering seven meals and someone ordering one or 2.

So I was thinking about this the last time I was at Village Haus. Should the dining places that have multiple cashiers (like Pizza Port, Village Haus, Tomorrowland Terrace, etc) have a line designed for solo/express orders... one-two people... one-two meals. Is that even feasible?

Discuss. :)

Vegitabeta
12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes. Or just for people with small orders. In the summer I waited for the longest time in McDonalds at DLP, in 90 something degree heat, and I only wanted a couple of things. It wasn't even like a line, it was just a load of lines that had merged into one, and the people in the front of my line were buying enough to feed the 5,000!

Great idea Niwel!

MammaSilva
12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
In theory it sounds great, but I can see the abuse....if it's 2 then why won't you just let me order 3? Not to mention, what if you have a big eater in your group of 2? How would the CM know that the pizza/salad and the bacon cheeseburger are all for one person not 2? It would be great, just not feasible to implement.

Niwel
12-29-2006, 10:08 AM
In theory it sounds great, but I can see the abuse.

Yup... so you see the snag in my plan. :)

Andrew
12-29-2006, 11:08 AM
How about restaurant FastPasses? You can wait in line now, or come back in an hour and get right in. Maybe you could even place your order when getting your FastPass so your food would be ready when you got back.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
There's also the small problem that somebody ordering "the way they come" items for a dozen people is probably going to take less time than one person with a special order.

californiagirlx7
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes. It's so unfair when you have to wait in line 45 minutes at the River Belle Terrace (when the line isn't that long) for a few four-person groups that order $100 worth of food each and wait for the people to prepare them.

cemeinke
12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I think a CM should be assigned to me to take my food order and deliver it to my table...

Wait that's table service...

Disneyland should open more table service restaurants

ScottDisneyFan
12-29-2006, 11:52 AM
But would they have another line for Chewie?

Bytebear
12-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I just keep picturing Lucy and Ethel with a truckload of groceries running from line to line saying "single item, single item".

mi_mous
12-29-2006, 01:51 PM
In theory it sounds great, but I can see the abuse....if it's 2 then why won't you just let me order 3? Not to mention, what if you have a big eater in your group of 2? How would the CM know that the pizza/salad and the bacon cheeseburger are all for one person not 2? It would be great, just not feasible to implement.

I saw this too, but perhaps if it were only for a drink, or single item? I could see that working better. Yet, it will most likely be abused.

disneyperson
12-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't think a single order line would work, but an express line for drinks only would be very cool.:)

I think it would also help if they could set it up so for one line per cash register.
At the Village Haus, for example, folk line up and either side of the register and the poor CM has to alternate between them. The line is actually twice as long as it seems.:(

adriennek
12-30-2006, 11:43 AM
What about something like In N Out does? When the drive-thru line is really long, they have a person standing outside at the car line taking the orders. That person can answer all those questions and get the order placed. Then when you get to the front of the line, you pay and your food is almost ready.

Costco has started something like this, too. A woman with a wireless scanning gun came to our cart and scanned all our items so that all we had to do when we got to the register was to hand the cashier our Costco card.

Ok, one more :D The carwash. The guy comes to my car long before I'm at the vaccuums, takes my order and prints up a little receipt for me. He wears the little printer on his belt and everything. :)

Adrienne

Niwel
12-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think a single order line would work, but an express line for drinks only would be very cool.:)

I hope Foods reads this thread!!! That is a great idea! :)

Seashellmama
12-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I think it would also help if they could set it up so for one line per cash register.
At the Village Haus, for example, folk line up and either side of the register and the poor CM has to alternate between them. The line is actually twice as long as it seems.:(

That is particularly bad but the answer, in my opinion, isn't N:N multiple queues, it's single queue multi-cashier- the big confused orders take up one cashier, but there are no unluckies who "picked the wrong line" stuck behind them.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-30-2006, 01:02 PM
In theory it sounds great, but I can see the abuse....if it's 2 then why won't you just let me order 3? .

I have to agree with MammaSilva on this one. It's not feasible to impliment such a line. It sounds good, as she said, in theory.

disneyperson
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
That is particularly bad but the answer, in my opinion, isn't N:N multiple queues, it's single queue multi-cashier- the big confused orders take up one cashier, but there are no unluckies who "picked the wrong line" stuck behind them.
Yes, that would be great . I have noticed that in the Village Haus, however,
the big confused orders seem to be the norm. I'd probably get stuck behind them anyway.:rolleyes:
I,of course, always know exactly what I want and order it in an easy to follow manner. Just once I'd like to hear a CM tell someone who can't make up his/her mind or is shouting across the room to get the rest of his/her party's orders straight, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to take this next guest. As soon as you know what you wish to order, I'll be happy to help you."
Ah.......just imagine.......

Oh I know ! They could label a line with a sign that reads "Express line for those of you who know what you want" :~D :D

disneyhound
12-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think a single order line would work, but an express line for drinks only would be very cool.:) ...

We live in a small town, and our local pizza joint does this. When you enter this establishment, directly in front of you is the counter where you order your pizza and whatever other food you want. Behind this counter is the pizza ovens and all the folks making your food.

Drinks are ordered at another counter in a completely different area. This restaurant seats about 100 people, The idea works great since you have a while to wait while your food is being prepared; completely seperate lines wouldn't work at DL. But, while you are eating, if you need to get another milk or water, you could go to the drink line, which would move faster than the order line... :)

Donald Duck Fan68
12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
That sounds just like the local pizza joint in my small town. And I just happen to reside in the pacific northwest as well. I wonder if we're thinking of the same local pizza joint?

hlbtimes2
12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
.:(

If you all you need is a drink, the fruit carts usually dont have much of a line.

darph nader
12-30-2006, 08:26 PM
But would they have another line for Chewie?
Let me know if this happens. I'll change my name to Chewie.
" I'd like a medium cola,with 15 hamburgers and frys,please".:D

Bytebear
12-30-2006, 08:37 PM
How do you feel about vending machines? That would certainly reduce the line for drinks. It would also cheapen the park. Which is more important?

disneyhound
12-31-2006, 07:27 AM
That sounds just like the local pizza joint in my small town. And I just happen to reside in the pacific northwest as well. I wonder if we're thinking of the same local pizza joint?

Wild River Pizza...

rentayenta
12-31-2006, 07:30 AM
I like the idea of a drinks only line. The idea of a solo eater line is good too; just not sure how they would impliment it and once they did how they would monitor it.

Donald Duck Fan68
12-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Wild River Pizza...

Bullwinkle's Pizza for us...but they do the exact same thing.