PDA

View Full Version : Grad Nite memories

Timmy13T
12-29-2006, 09:29 AM
anyone have any memories of grad nite? im sure we all have our High School Grad Nite stories.

ScottDisneyFan
12-29-2006, 10:31 AM
You know...both my parents went to Disneyland for Grad Night (we are all from Northern California) but we didn't. We just had a party at a park. :(

cemeinke
12-29-2006, 10:58 AM
I went in 1980 and security took us back stage and made us put our pants back on. I still got my grad night photo (http://photos.xenarchy.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Disneyland%20Grad%20Night%201980.jpg)though .
:fez:

hbquikcomjamesl
12-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I remember waiting, seemingly forever, to be let off the bus. I remember riding PotC with a group of very rowdy fellows who made up their own lyrics, something to the effect of:
. . . we rape the women and kill the men, drink up me hearties, yo ho!
and everybody's got a girl except for harold's got a guy . . . Oh, well, somewhat more in line with the way pirates really behaved!

I also remember being extremely disappointed with the music: I was expecting the usual evening jazz band (anybody else remember "Teddy Buckner and his Jazz All Stars"?) at the French Market, and or a swing band at the Carnation Plaza Gardens; no such luck on either. Rock was essentially inescapable.

Andrew
12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
I still got my grad night photo (http://photos.xenarchy.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Disneyland%20Grad%20Night%201980.jpg)though .
:fez:
Hey, where'd you find my pants?

SoCalTinkerbelle
12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
haha. Mine was 2001 and I remember going on Indiana Jones as the sun came up.. and eating breakfast stuff over next to POTC.
And then going on Space Mountain and our car didn't have the music working .. That was the last time I rode it before they closed and redid it! bummer :(

PhiSigDuchessCV
12-29-2006, 07:28 PM
HI All,

My grad night (1985) was memorable because it was the very night that Videopolis debuted. We all thought it was so cool to be there and be able to dance the very first night it was open plus getting to watch all those music videos. Music videos were still such a new technology that it was just a wow experience.

I also remember having to walk around in a dress and heels since we had to dress very business/formal. Girls couldn't wear pants unless it was a business suit with matching jacket and pants. No tennis shoes either had to be dress shoes so that meant heels. Walking around in Disneyland in heels - ugh - my feet still ache at the memory.

Of course the best memories are spending the time with all my friends and pretty much no adults and walking on all the rides.

Carolyn

Tinkermommy
12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Grad nite 77: I remember spending two hours on a school bus to get to ride the new and amazing Space Mountain!

I'll have to look for my picture -- ha ha! My then-boyfriend and I are both wearing polyester suits with big collars. We sure thought we were cool then! LOL!:p

Opus1guy
12-29-2006, 08:34 PM
(anybody else remember "Teddy Buckner and his Jazz All Stars"?) at the French Market...

I sure do! I recall first seeing him at Disneyland even before New Orleans Square was built.

My first memory of Teddy was in 1963. When the Summer Season closed out each year, Disneyland always had special Dixieland nights (usually mid-September) at the Park...in order to lure in the locals for one last hurrah and attendance boost. The headliner that night was Louis Armstrong, but Teddy was on the bill too and these two famous trumpeters did a couple of great numbers together.

In the 2004 thread on favorite Disneyland memories, I wrote:

My uncle just loved Teddy Buckner and his group, and the two of us would often break away from the rest of the gang to go watch them in the Old New Orleans area of Frontierland, and in later years at New Orleans Square at the French Market bandstand.

Sometimes hard to believe that such great Jazz legends were regular talent at Disneyland in the old days. :)

My class's Grad Nite involved a trip over to Catalina Island...so we didn't do the Disneyland thing. But I was working at Disneyland during several of them, and saw (and heard) some pretty crazy stuff. But nothing you didn't see there all the time. Just more of it, on Grad Nites.

WITron
12-29-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't remeber too much from my Grad Nite in `91. I was too exhausted from working the Grad Nite before and only getting 3 hrs. of sleep. I do remember seeing Timmy T, but that is about it. I went the following year with my gf at the time and remember a bit more. The one thing that I really remember about that trip was seeing Paul Rodriguez perform at Tomorrowland Terrace.

I just hope that somehow my daughters will be able to Grad Nite when they graduate, but that is still years away.

PanFan
12-29-2006, 10:56 PM
The most memorable thing to me in Grad Nite 2000 was seeing the new Mickey and Friends parking structure for the first time--then having to walk all the way to the entrance down the tram path. I thought we would never get there--especially with the security line!