PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass Questions

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 04:06 PM
I've been a long time visitor of MousePlanet (since before it was MousePlanet) and I would like to start off by saying I really enjoy what everyone has done with the site and I would like to take a quick second to defend Al. I personally have enjoyed his articles for many years (I wish they were more frequent ! :crying: ) and it's nice to get a differing view. I may not always agree with him, but I really appreciate people like him to give a differing view.

On to my questions. I've FINALLY decided to get an Annual Pass to Disneyland, since I will be going to college at Cal Poly (about a 2 1/2 hr drive) starting this summer and I can't resist visiting my favorite place. I've decided on the Premium Pass mostly because I hate being restricted to day and free parking + discounts is too much to pass up. I'm ranting to much... anyways here are my questions:

1) I understand that all APs now allow for park-hopping. Is this going to stay permanent or could Disney take this feature away in the future, forcing me to uprade? (yes I enjoyed DCA and would like to be able to visit it for a few hours for a change of pace)

2) Where can I purchase APs? I know I can get them at the main gate, but waiting is line is no fun :D . Do the Disney stores carry them? I know you cannot purchase them online as I've tried.

3) I remember reading somewhere that AP holders could purchase $33 (I may be wrong on the amount) one-day tickets for other people. I really wanted to buy a few of these for some friends who are going to be going with me next weekend.

4) I read somewhere that DL is allowing you to pay $10 for park-hopping abilities for a 1 day ticket? Anyone know about this and whether it would apply to the discounted ticket above (like if I could purchase a 1 day pass with park-hopping for $43?)

5) And lastly, anyone know how crowded DL is expected to be next weekend, and what rides are down?

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I really appreciate it and I look forward to my AP! Keep up the good work MousePlanet.

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Eeek. Almost forgot one last thing. If I buy my AP at the Disney Store can I use that to get into the Park and then process my AP inside or do I have to go to the ticket booths outside the park to exchange it for an AP. Thanks again.

Ghoulish Delight
05-25-2002, 04:17 PM
1) Once they sell you a park hopper, AP, I doubt they can legally change it to a single park. But they may, at some point, begin selling them separately again

2) If you don't want to stand in line, use the ticket booth at the Monorail station in DTD. You can buy any pass you want, and enter there, with almost no line

3) I do not believe that is true

4) I have never heard of a 1 day park hopper

5) To see what rides are down, go to Disneyland.com and find "Hours and Show Schedule" That will show the refurb schedule. Expect big, but not humongous cowds would be my guess (but you never know)

Hope that helps :)

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Thanks so much for the help. But I still want to know about the Disney store and AP stuff about that above if anyone else knows? It must have been outdated info from another site about #3 and #4 (learn your lesson and stay with MousePlanet ;) )

Also about the park-hopper for AP. They have the right to dis-continue it and so when it comes time to renew I would have to pay extra for a 2-park season pass right?

That's a good idea about where to buy the tickets. I almost forgot they sell them there. If anyone can answer my other question I'd appreciate it and thank you once again.

Ghoulish Delight
05-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles

Also about the park-hopper for AP. They have the right to dis-continue it and so when it comes time to renew I would have to pay extra for a 2-park season pass right?Correct, while they can't take it away from you before yours expires, they can charge you separately when it comes time to renew.

Someone else will have to get you the Disney Store answer. I think you can, and you should be able to use that as entrance, wihtout having to go to the ticket booth, but I'm not positive.

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 05:05 PM
Ok... now I've gotten conflicting information about the 1-Day Park Hopper for guests of an AP holder. Apparently, it does exist, but you have to ask about it at the ticket booth (I got this from a post on MP) and it isn't advertised. Can anyone confirm or deny this???

MammaSilva
05-25-2002, 05:21 PM
you can order/purchase the passes at your local disney store, and if you are a Disney Club member there is a small discount.....

MammaSilva
05-25-2002, 05:23 PM
I haven't heard anyone mention that, I know that for a while So Cal people got a discount on one day tickets but I've not received any information with my passholder news letter saying we can buy discounted tickets ...I would call the passholder hot line and ask them about it?

HBTiggerFan
05-25-2002, 08:12 PM
You can purchase APs at the Disney Store. They give you a voucher (DON'T LOSE IT) and then you can walk in the turnstyle and get your AP card.

There is no one day park hopper. There was and maybe still is a 2 park ticket that can be used like this:

One park one day one park the next
OR
Both parks one day

The latter option would technically make it a one day park hopper, but it is not sold as such.

DL is subject to change everything without notice. So if you wait to buy a 2 park pass they could change back to a 1 park/2park pass. But if you buy a 2 park pass and wait to activate it, and they change it back, you already paid and they can't make you pay more. BUT check the back for an experation date.

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Any idea on where to get this two-park pass? And if I understand you correctly if I buy a season pass from the disney store I can go directly to the turnstile and use it just like an AP until I get mine processed?

MammaSilva
05-25-2002, 09:32 PM
the Disney Store will give you a piece of paper that tells them at the gate you are a pass holder, that will get you thru to the processing center in the park, then you will have a small credit card size "pass" with a very bad picture of you on it and a bar code that they scan when you come into the parks and as of right now all annual passes are 2 park passes, you can't buy a single park pass anymore

HBTiggerFan
05-25-2002, 10:47 PM
yea, what she said.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-25-2002, 11:23 PM
I have a friend who works at a company where they can get discounted 2-Park tickets. The only restriction, and I'm not entirely certain about the exact dates...is that they are only good until around the end of June, and then resume for approx. August 20 until year end.

The price is at or below the regular DL price, but I can find out more, including about the valid dates. If anybody wants me to look into it for them, just send me a private message.

As for ride closures, California Adventure has Superstar Limo(like anybody would notice), DL has King Arthur's Carousel(down for many more months), and It's A Small World until around June 21. Everything else seemed to be up and running when I was there today. Splash Mountain tip...at around 11:45 this morning got Fast Passes for 2:45-3:45. When we came back at about 3:15, they were Sold Out of FP's, and the wait was 120 Minutes. Even with FP, we waited about 15 minutes. So if you want to go when sun is out and it's hot...on a busy weekend day, certainly get a FP by around noon.

944Lifer
05-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Any idea on where to get this two-park pass?

When I went last month, there was a deal for SoCal residents (thank goodness I was with one, as I have a Washington license) to get a 2-day pass, good for one park each day, for $49. You do have the option to turn it into a one day park-hopper -- they just override the turnstile to force it to accept the pass after asking if you want to convert it, and mark the passport to show that you opted for the one day hopper. After that, you can hop all you want that day! :p

Oops...almost forgot to answer the question I quoted! You get these passes at the regular ticket booths in the espel-- espal-- oh, you know, the area between the parks.

Disney Nick
05-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Grrr... My brother is a so-cal resident (he goes to UCLA), but he won't be coming on my trip next weekend with me and my friend because he has personal business. And the only ride closure I will really miss is It's a Small World :crying: . Any idea on if I can get the one day park-hopper w/o being a So-Cal resident, because I really want to show my friend the 2 parks and don't want to pay $90 to do so.... Anyone who knows what I should do with this please post. Also I have a Premium AP now if that helps :D (bought it at my local Disney Store)

Darkbeer
05-25-2002, 11:49 PM
944Lifer... You will be happy to hear that they renamed the Esplanade the "Main Entry Plaza",.. guess people didn't understand that Esplanade meant Promenade, and that some people didn't understand Promenade meant "paved Public walk".

So, now everybody can use the term "Main Entry Plaza", and hopefully MOST people will understand:cool:

And for those who don't, just tell them the place where you bought your tickets when you got here:rolleyes:

944Lifer
05-26-2002, 12:08 AM
Thank goodness...I can say it, and understand it, but my fingers can't seem to type
Esplanade (see? I had to quote it).

And NMoreles: I'm not sure of any deals without the SoCal ID...perhaps it may benefit you to make a new friend or two from SoCal on the tram ride over from the parking structure if all else fails :cool:

Disney Nick
05-26-2002, 12:14 AM
LOL... not a bad last resort... anyone out there want to be my friend for a day ;) In all seriousness I really hope someone out there can tell me about this one. Disney has to see that this situation could arise and someone doesn't want to have to buy 2 Single Day tickets. I mean if they don't offer this option its a money-losing situation for them. I don't pay for the other park and I don't boost their sagging attendance numbers... Oh well this doesn't suprise me coming from the New Disneyland.

Darkbeer
05-26-2002, 01:16 AM
Actually, one of corporate's big goals is to increas the "average stay" of a guest, right now it is 1.1 days, and they would love to get it to three days... (I think that is a long shot...) But, the programs in place are designed to have people stay multiple days.... This is what the big cheeses want, and TDA is trying to deliver....So, you want to be a single day visitor, they will take your money, but they won't cater to you......:eek:

SoCalDisneyLover
05-26-2002, 07:56 AM
To NMoreles...I sent you a Private Message regarding the 2-Park Passport. Please read it and/or reply to me at SoCalDavidS@AOL.Com and hopefully I can be of help to you. :-) David

Techie7
05-26-2002, 08:55 AM
A couple notes if you are getting a premium AP. I think it can be cheeper if you get it inside the park. Bring your parking stub that shows that you paid with you when you buy your AP. (This will take seven dollars off the cost of the AP.) If you are a member of the DisneyClub there is also a $20 discount on first time Premium AP purchase. Process the AP first thing at either the Bank or at the New AP Processing Center at the end of main street. Enjoy the AP. :D

Disney Nick
05-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanks. I went to the Disney Store today and they said it would take 7-10 days to special order it. I'm going to be there in 6 days so that didn't work :( . I was wondering if they'd take the price of my parking off my AP since a premium AP gets you free parking.

I STILL need some help with this dilemma I have. I need to find an effecient way to get a 2-Park 1 Day Hopper. I'm determined to find a way to do this!!! PLEASE HELP!

stinkerbell
05-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
A couple notes if you are getting a premium AP. I think it can be cheeper if you get it inside the park. Bring your parking stub that shows that you paid with you when you buy your AP. (This will take seven dollars off the cost of the AP.) If you are a member of the DisneyClub there is also a $20 discount on first time Premium AP purchase. Process the AP first thing at either the Bank or at the New AP Processing Center at the end of main street. Enjoy the AP. :D

Oh my gosh, Techie7! Thank you for answering my question, before I asked it. I plan to get a Disney Club membership this fall and we want to buy several Premium AP's and two deluxes. Can we buy them in December and activate them in April 2003? Will they then be good until April 2004? My goal is to purchase before prices increase, but we won't be going to DL until April 2003. (My first question was going to be whether there was a discount on AP's if we were Disney Club members.) Great thread--most thorough AP thread, yet!

MammaSilva
05-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Stinkerbell, according to the CM's at my local Disney Store you can buy the passes at the store, then they actually start your year when you activate them, I plan to buy one a month for Christmas presents for some of my friends... if you pay the 39.95 for the club then you get 20 bucks off each premium, no discounts off of deluxe passes tho, my disney club card has saved me over 300 in the last year

redrhino
05-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Considering there are two campuses that call themselves
Cal Poly ... it is a bit confusing, but I don't believe it is 2.5
hours from either to Disneyland.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (the original and only real Cal Poly)
is where I work and it maybe about 3-4 hours away from
Disneyland, depending on trafic and how fast one tends to
drive, etc. That other campus is in Pamona and much much
closer ... I wouldn't think it would be much more than one
hour away.

My family has APs, so obviously I think it is worth it, but
when you consider the time to travel, I find that getting
a hotel nearby is often quite worth it.

Also, I would consider the SoCal AP if I were you because
quite a few of the days when you will be free to go (relative
to the student calendar) are days that aren't SoCal blackout
days. On the other hand, if you think that you want to
go on weekends, pretty much every Saturday is a SoCal
blackout date ... but also a busy day when there are many
other who will be making you wait in line after line.

I am not trying to chanage your mind, but share my experience
with you as someone who lives in San Luis Obispo. Perhaps
some of my experience will help you in your choices.

by the way, did you sign up for my summer class?