PDA

View Full Version : Nestle cookie class?

cakimmy
12-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Did they recently change the age limit on it? We've gone before and my oldest daughter has done it several times (she's now 4.5). The time before last (it was off season) they let my 1.5 year old go up with her sis (and she did very well). This time she is 2 now and they wouldn't let her go (she was crying and it was hard, they even gave her a hat with her name on it, why do that if she can't be part of the class). Anyway, I asked the lady what the ages was because they had let her go before and she said ages 4 and up. I could have sworn the last time they said it was ages 3 and up. Just curious (oh and btw, it was the same cm's who let my 2 year old do it before this time but wouldn't allow her this time).

ssturgeo
12-29-2006, 05:38 AM
All of the official DL descriptions of this event say for ages 4-10...I know I printed this information before November 1st, but not sure how long before that...and, not sure if this is a "change" or not, since I had not previously looked into this activity.

momuvseven
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
We had the same experience with the same CMs. In September small for her age three year old dd was allowed to do it and had so much fun that was all she talked about until our next trip that included her twin 9 year old brothers in November. She waited patiently for thirty minutes with about eight other kids in line. When she got to the front the cm asked her how old she was and when she said three they told her she couldn't do it anymore. I was nice and commented that she had in the past and the CM said they would only let them do it now if they were four or over because the little ones don't behave and listen. I thought that was harsh and removed heartbroken dd from the area to the area below stage where families can watch. Then my twins kept coming over and didn't want to do it without their little sister and they kept asking the CM if she could, pleading she would be four soon, she will be on January 6th. Finally after all of this and not having enough kids of the correct age range come over they changed their minds and let dd participate. She did behave and was happy but not nearly as happy if all of this hadn't happened in the first place. She still talks about it and I have been reassuring her that when we go next week for her birthday that it will be OK. However she is very small for her age, 39 inches and 32 pounds so I'm not sure if they will take her word for it. We are going to get her birthday button at city hall first and have them write four on it.

Even if they don't let the younger ones help they will give them cookies after the show. Just an FYI for anyone unfamiliar with this show they do not have any appliances or anything nearby that can hurt children of any age so I don't think safety is the concern. It seems to be if the child can stay on task or not for the approximately fifteen to twenty minutes it takes to make the cookies. The dough made by the children is never served because already baked and packaged cold cookies come out of the magic oven moments later.

lauras5boys
12-29-2006, 02:53 PM
I think it depends upon who's running the show that day.

We once had the nicest lasy ask my then 1 year old if he'd like to make the cookies too. He was too little and wouldn't do it but I thought it was lovely of her to ask. I think it might have been because the park was pretty empty that day too.

Tinkermommy
12-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Here's the flip side -- the last time my daughter did this, we were with a group of friends and had a total of six kids in our group ranging from five to 10. It was a full house, and there was ONE little kid who ruined it for everybody. He appeared to be 2 or 3.

He lost interest within about two minutes, after which he grabbed things from other kids, knocked things off the table, yelled when he didn't get what he wanted, ran around the table and just made it miserable for everyone. For reasons I cannot comprehend, his mother left him up there running amok, and the rest of us just stood there wondering what to do.

Clearly, there are GREAT little ones who know how to behave and would be appropriate participants. I suspect it's the little wild ones who have ruined it for the well-behaved ones...

cakimmy
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
No I agree, if my child was running amok or what have you there is no way I would leave them up there. I was just wondering if they had changed it (and I do realize she is younger than the age, but to her she thinks she can do everything that her big sis can do, lol).

momuvseven:
You shouldn't have a problem with your 4 yr old. My oldest dd is 4 (she will be 5 in April) and is very petite (like 38" and 35lbs). They've never questioned me to let her do the cookie class.