PDA

View Full Version : Christmas - New Year's Crowd Reports at DLR [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

adriennek
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Just around noon, DLR stopped selling new one-day tickets for Disneyland and one-day park hoppers. They were still selling multi-day park hoppers and one-day DCA-only tickets. The next step will be to stop allowing first time entries into Disneyland.

Adrienne

Niwel
12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
My fiance told me his sister and her boyfriend are planning to go Saturday because they already bought tickets and won't be back down from the bay area until next year. They wouldn't listen when he told them it was a really bad idea. Some people only learn the hard way. :rolleyes:

We're taking bets if they'll get on more than 5 attractions or not.

ministrychick77
12-28-2006, 11:50 AM
wow... already? i would have expected this like, a day or two before new year's, but now? interesting....

good thing that when we go, we're gonna get there first thing in the morning to get tickets..

Niwel
12-28-2006, 11:54 AM
I remember a few years ago that they had to close the gates every day between Xmas & New Years -- they put bulletins out to the radio stations so guests who were coming to the resort would know.

Malcon10t
12-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I remember a few years ago that they had to close the gates every day between Xmas & New Years -- they put bulletins out to the radio stations so guests who were coming to the resort would know.
That happened in 2001 I believe. We were there. It was fun, but the crowds!

Malcon10t
12-28-2006, 12:11 PM
wow... already? i would have expected this like, a day or two before new year's, but now? interesting....

good thing that when we go, we're gonna get there first thing in the morning to get tickets..
Actually, ysterday was the first day during our stay they had a capacity close. I was expecting it every day. (We've been here since the 23rd, and leave on the 3rd.)

adriennek
12-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone... TLMt dropped off her charges at 10 minutes to noon. They stood in the ticket line for one hour and fifteen minutes. When they got to the ticket booth, they were offered a one-day-one-park ticket for DCA that will turn into a Disneyland ticket at 6-pm.

Adrienne

pisces
12-28-2006, 03:30 PM
At 7:30 am, the EE lines for the Matterhorn were already wrapped around to the Kings/Queens Restrooms.

Actually, even before that, at 7:15 am---the Peter Pan EE was snaked outside down to the "Once Upon A Time" thingy.

So much for Early Entry.

Kind of a let-down when you go to the trouble of being at the Maingates at 7:00 am.

Even the line for Mr. Toad...by 7:45 am, was snaking around out toward the Carousel----it looked like.

I finally just gave up, and went to Casey Jr. Circus Train, and waited for them to open up at 8:00 am. , and was the first on that, at least.

So, that's something.

I hope this means they do a third Fantasmic tonight!

tonytone
12-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Wow!!! Hopefully tomorrow (Friday) morning won't be anything like today--I was really shooting for getting there really early...but I'd guess that that would be just wishful thinking on my part.;)

nursemelis374
12-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I think that it is even more crowded than it had been the past couple of years due to the lack of rain. Remember the last 2 years it has rained between Christmas and New Year's as well as rained heavily on New Year's Eve. I am thinking it is going to be more crowded this New Year's Eve compared to the last 2 years. Glad I am going to a party instead of Disneyland this year!

olegc
12-29-2006, 08:46 AM
well, we ate lunch at 3:30 at Whitewater snacks - and could not believe the crowded nature of the Redwood Creek Trail that goes past GRizzly River Run. People actually had to turn sideways to try and get past in some spots.

You KNOW it's a crowded day at the resort when DCA has congestion enough to cause bottlenecks...

Friday (today) should be worse, not better. The marching bands from the ROse parade and bowl are coming in - and as the poster above said, the weather is nice...

Malcon10t
12-29-2006, 08:58 AM
We entered the park about 3 yesterday. It was crowded, but we still had fun. Saw Fantasmic! and went on Jungle Cruise. Ryan was the skipper. FANTASTIC skipper. We were the last ones on Alice.

mckygirl99
12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
I knew better when I drove down the 5 fwy to Main Place and saw that even the off ramps were crowded. I will wait until the second week of January to return. Remember, most area schools are out until the 8th. Oh and by the way, most Anahiem Elementary schools will be going off year round starting in July. Look for more kids in the summer and at Christmas since they will be off for 3 weeks!

disney jones
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
this is exactly why i ignore my so called wife annually when she throws a temper tanrum because i take the girls out of school Dec 7-9th. for our Christams DLR trip.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-29-2006, 09:15 AM
FWIW, the boys got into DL a few minutes after six and, in about six hours, managed to to all four mountains, POC, Indy, Alice, the Surreal Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Buzz. Plus dinner at Red Rocket's.

Their official report: The lines looked long but moved right along.

-TLMt

Malcon10t
12-29-2006, 09:51 AM
FWIW, the boys got into DL a few minutes after six and, in about six hours, managed to to all four mountains, POC, Indy, Alice, the Surreal Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Buzz. Plus dinner at Red Rocket's.

Their official report: The lines looked long but moved right along.

-TLMt
The lines moved pretty good all day. And the band that came out before the 3:30 parade ( from mexico) was good. While it said "high school", many looked to be no older than 12. While the line for Indy said 75 minutes, it was only about 40. Billy Green was playing and they were great. Longest line we had was at River Belle Terrace.

AVP
12-29-2006, 12:36 PM
At 11:00 the resort began their "soft divert" effort, which means that they try to steer people to DCA by offering them a ticket (at the one-day, one-park price) that is valid at DCA until sometime later the same day (usually around 6), after which the ticket can be used for admission to Disneyland. At that point, you can still request and be sold a Disneyland ticket.

At 1:00 pm, the resort suspended sales of one-day, one park to Disneyland and of one-day park hopper tickets. Multi-day park hoppers are still available, as are one-day, one park tickets to DCA.

This pattern is somewhat consistant with yesterday, which leads me to hope that Disneyland won't begin to restrict admission to those who already hold tickets for today, or to passholders with valid passes.

AVP

kaybee2
12-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks so much for the update AVP! We decided this am to leave San Jose today for DL tomorrow and Sunday. We know we are completely insane! But DS will get to spend his 9th bday at DL, even if it is crowded! These updates really help, we now know to get there early, stay in the park, and be ready for the big crowds!

Karen
Countdown to next DL trip: 2.75 hours. Yipee!

motoxprincess31
12-29-2006, 02:05 PM
We getting to disneyland sunday morning, I was really hoping for rain to drive away some of the crowds. We are going to try and get there as early as possible to aviod any problems getting tickets

pisces
12-29-2006, 03:42 PM
You KNOW it's a crowded day at the resort when DCA has congestion enough to cause bottlenecks...

I was shocked by that. That was something I thought I'd never see---DCA full.

The wait on the Sunwheel was an hour, and that was for non-swinging.

Those wide DCA pathways were completely taken up with crowds and bottlenecks.

The only ride I could get on at DCA (Dec 28) was Maliboomer, and that was only because of single-rider.

I'd never seen DCA that jammed before!

pisces
12-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Today (Dec 29)....there's a sign that says "Disneyland-Full; but DCA-Available"....and that's as of 4:15 pm.

That's quite different from yesterday (Dec 28).....when the sign said "Both Parks Full".

Also, they didn't do a third Fantasmic yesterday. I wonder if they'll do one tonight.

And, believe me, when they say DCA is "full" I can verify, it was FULL, yesterday!

Last year, the day before New Years Eve is kind of less crowded, somewhat. ---The calm before the storm, so to speak. But then again, the weather was different last year.

Who knows what it will be tomorrow.

Tinkermommy
12-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Crazy us -- we went today! We knew it would be unbelievably crowded, but my future Trojan wanted to see "her" school's band.

We breezed into the parking structure around 9, but the tram line was backed up more than halfway across the tram plaza (or whatever the heck that's called. Let's call it the tram plaza!) We walked over, and were stunned at the length of the security lines. Fortunately, they went waaay faster than we expected.

In the esplanade, around 9:30 am, the DCA lines were backed up (because it wasn't open yet) about halfway across. The Disneyland lines went around the DCA lines and almost all the way back to the big letters. That line seemed to take forever, but we had fun chatting with our line neighbors.

They diverted inbound Adventureland traffic through Frontierland all day. In the morning, it was awesome -- you could actually walk through the area outside Indy. By noon, it was as congested as ever. We spent about half an hour inside Innoventions playing VMK, shared the world's best and biggest corndog (thanks to whoever posted that tip!) and used our Fast Passes on Indy. We bought some Christmas things half-off (Yay!), then lined up front row center to see the USC Trojan Marching Band perform in town square.

They rocked! To say we had excellent seats is an understatement -- the cheerleaders dropped their pom poms at my little one's feet, and a drummer stood so close to us we could see up his nose. (Do we know how to have fun, or what?) My daughter took excellent photos, but I don't know how to post them.

When the Trojans left, we headed over to DCA thinking it would be less crowded -- ha! Monsters had a line back to the ride's entrance, the plaza where Santa was seemed impassable, and our choice for dinner (the place with the bread bowls) had the longest line we'd ever seen there. We ended up at Storytellers, where they were able to take us without a reservation, but the food was lukewarm, the service was unusually non-attentive, and we kept finding somebody else's squishy pasta stuck to the bottom of our dishes. GROSS!!

All that said, we had a GREAT day! We went into it knowing it would be crowded, and not really expecting to get to "do" anything. We just wanted to be there. The Trojans really made our day!!

Malcon10t
12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
We headed to the parks about noon. It didn't start well as the ART bus driver couldn't comprehend the pup was a service dog and denied my daughter entrance. A quick call to ART, and they sent another bus for us right away and took us straight to the park. (And talked to the driver to explain for us.) Since my oldest son has discovered pin trading, we spent about an hour in DCA looking at pins and letting him get the new bag. Then my daughter ran our packages to the newsstand to hold for the day. We then headed to Monsters, where our wait was about 20 minutes. Then over to TOT, where we had another 20 minute wait or so. Then we did the bakery and tortilla tours, before going to the pin shop at Bug's Land, and doing a few rides there. Then we headed out for our dinner at Goofy's, where we had EXCELLENT (and I do mean EXCELLENT) service and character interaction. Best ever. After leaving there, we went to do more pin trading (I think we have created a monster) and had a good time interacting with a few cast members at the DLH. One assisted us with a "uniform malfunction" for the puppy. We just got back and are relaxing to prepae for a long day tomorrow.

tonytone
12-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Then we headed out for our dinner at Goofy's, where we had EXCELLENT (and I do mean EXCELLENT) service and character interaction. Best ever.
What time were you at Goofy's yesterday (by "yesterday" I assume Friday)? We were there Friday evening around 5:20 pm...

I think to myself every once in a while if there is a MP member whom I've never met in person before that I should be able to recognize, it would be you since you'll most likely have your service dog w/ you and FWIW, I've personally yet to see a service dog at DLR in all my years of visiting it...so if I see a black one there, odds are that it's yours...LOL!!! :D

Timmy13T
12-30-2006, 07:49 AM
if i were to go and buy tickets for DR tomorrow will they be sellign them? i going to use those tickets on New Years Day and I want to make sure they will stil be sold.