PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness and Certain Disneyland Rides

Kentenathien
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I know this may sound wierd but I have an extremely irrational fear of throwing up that started as a teenager. I never get motion sickness but i've been cursed with an irrational fear of doing things that may cause me motion sickness even if I know they won't. This included most of the rides at Disneyland that I rode many times as a kid. Over the past few years i've had to slowly overcome the fear and start riding rides one at a time. Actually, I had never ridden Matterhorn or BTMR or Splash Mountain because of the irrational anticipatory fear but have actually faced them earlier this year and am very proud of that fact. However, there are two rides I have yet to face, Star Tours and Space Mountain. Two rides I have ridden many times as a child. I'm mainly afraid of Space Mountain because I rode it one particular time in '94 and got a little dizzy and nauseous. It didn't bother me so much at the time but with a fear now, the memory makes it worse. I think it was just an isolated incident. Can anyone tell me how Space Mountain compares in speed and turns with Matterhorn and BTMR? I can ride the latter two very easily with no problems. I can even ride the Gold Rusher at SFMM with no problems.

Petersgj
12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I know this may sound wierd but I have an extremely irrational fear of throwing up that started as a teenager. I never get motion sickness but i've been cursed with an irrational fear of doing things that may cause me motion sickness even if I know they won't. This included most of the rides at Disneyland that I rode many times as a kid. Over the past few years i've had to slowly overcome the fear and start riding rides one at a time. Actually, I had never ridden Matterhorn or BTMR or Splash Mountain because of the irrational anticipatory fear but have actually faced them earlier this year and am very proud of that fact. However, there are two rides I have yet to face, Star Tours and Space Mountain. Two rides I have ridden many times as a child. I'm mainly afraid of Space Mountain because I rode it one particular time in '94 and got a little dizzy and nauseous. It didn't bother me so much at the time but with a fear now, the memory makes it worse. I think it was just an isolated incident. Can anyone tell me how Space Mountain compares in speed and turns with Matterhorn and BTMR? I can ride the latter two very easily with no problems. I can even ride the Gold Rusher at SFMM with no problems.

I don't get motion sick while at sea, in the air, or any rides at Disneyland except space mountain makes me dizzy and nauseous. For me, it's not the motion, I think it is the lighting that bothers me. If I close my eyes during the final part of the ride, it doesn't bother me.

JosieGirl71
12-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I have morning sickness and there is only one ride at DL and DCA that made me nauseous...Star Tours. I got off that ride feeling a little dizzy and woozy. Now, I haven't ridden Space Mountain since I was a kid so I don't know about that one. California Screamin', Matterhorn and BTMRR don't bother me either.

I have a horrible fear of heights and when we went to DL, I told myself that I wasn't going to let that fear keep me off of any rides. I rode Maliboomer, Soarin' and Tower of Terror. Will I get on these rides again? Probably but I will scream my heart out on every one of them.

Good luck in conquering your fear! (You can do it!) :)

Darkbeer
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
The only ride at either DCA or Disneyland that recommends folks who have problems with Motion Sickness not ride is the Sun Wheel, in fact, they place motion sickness bags in the ride due to the amount of folks who have lost their lunch while on the ride.

MouseWife
12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh you poor kid. Like me. I hate the feeling but try not to think about it.

I really wanted to ride Space Mountain {like you, I rode it as a younger person}. I wanted to see the refurbished ride. Well, it was awesome. Until I realized I was getting motion sick. Queasy. I guess I closed my eyes too late? I closed them as soon as I realized what was happening.

I don't know if it was anything I ate that contributed but I also get motion sick pretty easy. Video games do that to me, too.

I will not ride Star Tours.

I know a lot of rides say they won't affect you but if you have the tendency to be motion sick....

Like JosieGirl71, I try things with an open mind and {except star tours} see what happens.

But, the rides I think might do me in, I save for the end of the day so they don't ruin my whole day.

good luck!

DisneylandForever
12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
I think it varies per person. I get motion sickness sometimes, but for some reason the smoother rides can make me queasy. I usually skip California Screamin' for this very reason, but have no problem on Star Tours or Space Mountain.

I will say that Star Tours is very "motiony." (like my made-up word?) - It's a simulator so the movements combined with the simulated action on the screen can make a few people dizzy or midly nauseated. Does Dramamine help? If it does I would take a dose before riding Star Tours, just to be safe.

jennasmom
12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I can go on everything but star tours. I even feel nauseated in the passenger side of the car.

disneynut
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I get motion sickness on both Star Tours and Space. With Space, I've found that if I close my eyes at the beginning and at the end (when all of the light shows are happening) I can handle it. I've found nothing to work on Star Tours.

disneyrox
12-27-2006, 03:59 PM
I tend to get motion sick if I can't see where I'm going (can't ride in the back seat of the car, etc). First time I rode CA Screamin', I was sick for the rest of the day. So what I do now, when going to DL, is take some non-drowsy Dramamine and on rides like Space and Screamin', I ride in the front, so I can see where I'm going. I haven't ever ridden Star Tours, though - DH says it would make me sick even with the Dramamine in me.

TinaMouse
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I get awfully queasy on rides, and I'm OK on Star Tours. If you close your eyes, the feeling passes. Must have something to do with your eyes processing the motion.

The one ride I cannot ever, ever go on is the Mad Tea Cups. I got sick on it as a teenager at WDW--drank a HUGE OJ and then spun, spun, spun! Ewww---just thinking about it....

My last trip to DLR, I did feel a little dizzy on Space Mt. I agree w/ other posters that it is during the "lightning/flashing lights" portion of the ride. Closing your eyes during this part will alleviate the feeling--

Have a great time. Conquer that fear!!

ministrychick77
12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
due to an illness i had early in 2005, i've had an easily upset stomach since then. i'm very cautious of rides that might make me sick. so far, i've been able to go on everything in DL except splash mountain, space mountain, and big thunder. i love the matterhorn (sitting in front works best), star tours (sitting in back), and i absolutely LOVE the tea cups. but then again, everything is particular to each individual person. i've got a friend who says i should be fine on space & splash mt. but there's no way i'm riding it. i love pirates too..

i'd say see what you can handle and work from there.

Rufus T Firefly
12-27-2006, 10:41 PM
It's a Small World has always made me feel a little quesy.

adriennek
12-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm mainly afraid of Space Mountain because I rode it one particular time in '94 and got a little dizzy and nauseous. It didn't bother me so much at the time but with a fear now, the memory makes it worse. I think it was just an isolated incident. Can anyone tell me how Space Mountain compares in speed and turns with Matterhorn and BTMR? I can ride the latter two very easily with no problems. I can even ride the Gold Rusher at SFMM with no problems.

I have had this problem with SpaceM in the past. My husband thinks it's the hard braking at the end in the tunnel with all the lights. He's told me to just keep my eyes shut at the end. It seems to be better if I do this.

I get a little funky on Star Tours.

The worst ride for me, by far, is Tower of Terror. I got off of it, looked at Doc and said "I never have to go on that ride ever again."

Adrienne

Raven
12-28-2006, 07:38 AM
I have to agree on Star Tours...I have to keep my eyes closed the entire time. Space Mountain too.

What really gets to me is, while I LOVE the Grizzley River Run in DCA, the spinning at the end always gets to me.

So, I've concluded that it is the "eyes not being able to focus because of too much movement" -type motion sickness that I get.

Drops such as Screamin and Tower of Terror and Splash don't bother me at all.

futurecm21
12-28-2006, 08:15 AM
However, there are two rides I have yet to face, Star Tours and Space Mountain. Two rides I have ridden many times as a child. I'm mainly afraid of Space Mountain because I rode it one particular time in '94 and got a little dizzy and nauseous. It didn't bother me so much at the time but with a fear now, the memory makes it worse. I think it was just an isolated incident. Can anyone tell me how Space Mountain compares in speed and turns with Matterhorn and BTMR?

Space Mountain has alot of sharp turns, and many many drops, but the speed isn't so bad. on star tours you will be jostled around alot, but you probably won't notice the speed.
futurecm21

kaybee2
12-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I just read somewhere that the average speed of Space Mtn is 11 mph and the fastest speed is 30 mph - they use wind effects to make it seem faster.

I'm one of those who is affected by the lights on the ride. I close my eyes at the beginning (where you're going up and they do a Six Million Dollar Man tunnel-type thing, ugh!) and at the end.

I haven't had any issues on the ride, except for the time I rode it 3x in a row with my DS on an empty stomach... had to sit down after that one!:rolleyes:

futurecm21
12-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I just read somewhere that the average speed of Space Mtn is 11 mph and the fastest speed is 30 mph - they use wind effects to make it seem faster.

The maximum speed depending on the weight load is 28 Miles Per Hour. I thought this was a well known fact, I guess maybey I'm just an incredible disney nerd.:geek: :geek:
futurecm21

splash
12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
I can't imagine why splash mountain would make you have motion sickness. I have been on Star Tours and the only part of it that made me feel queasy was when we went to light speed with the stars. I wasn't brave enough to try Space Mountain this time though because I had a head cold that made my equilibrium all whacked out. We did however, do California Screaming and that one made me feel a little weak in the legs - but not so much nauseous. I sat down for awhile and just tried to breath deeply. I think it was more the working myself up about the ride and possibly a mild panic attack afterwards. I have also ridden the Maliboomer - that was wild. I say take the Dramamine and don't let fear of getting sick ruin it for you.

disneyroxxx
12-29-2006, 08:44 AM
for rides, i never get nauseous,but my dad always does. He is basically the queasy king. but he loves star tours, it's his favorite ride! the far back and to the sides are the bumpiest seats in the ride, so if you go on that ride, try to avoid those seats, even though they are the most fun! space mountain, you know got refurbished, and now it's a much smoother ride. sit in front, more thrilling and less dizzy, and also you get nice cold air blowing in your face! space mountain is a lot different now than back in '94.

mistofviolets
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
You might want to wear some motion sick bands, too. That and a plastic bag in your purse or pocket, just as a security blanket ;)

I have some health problems, which can cause nausea and blacking out. (Especially standing in line, or just being in the heat.) I feel much more confident knowing I have quick access to a bag and a bottle of water. Even though I've never needed to use the bag in public, LOL.

Katran
12-29-2006, 02:34 PM
I suffer from motion sickness and have ever since my oldest child was born (had no problems as a child myself...go figure). Several rides at Disneyland make me queasy, especially Star Tours. For our next trip I'm going to take Dramamine. It's helped me in the past with long car trips (which also make me queasy if I'm a passenger, but never as a driver).

Splash Mountain has never made me queasy, so you should be okay with it as well. Same with Space Mountain. But, as others have said, not everyone gets queasy for the same reasons. For me it's spinning rides and those that have a constant rocking motion, like Star Tours. Throw the disorientation of a starfield in there and I'm quite ill by the time I get off of it (by the end I'm taking deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth to keep from puking, but I love that ride so much!).

bassett1976
12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
So what I do now, when going to DL, is take some non-drowsy Dramamine and on rides like Space and Screamin', I ride in the front, so I can see where I'm going. I haven't ever ridden Star Tours, though - DH says it would make me sick even with the Dramamine in me.

I've found out that Bonine is supposed to be better than Dramamine for adults. Something about the consistency in Dramamine helping kids better and Bonine working better in adults.

I too get really motion sick. I find that being at WDW is easier than DLR but I think it is because of the weather. I can handle the faster rides in WDW better.

My advice for riding simulator rides like Star Tours will also work on the ride vehicles for Indy. I actually overheard someone in WDW talking about a conversation they had with a CM. Here is the advice:

Ride as close to the middle of the "vehicle" as possible. If you are in the middle of the vehicle you will not rock as much as any other place in the ride. I just got back from Vegas and went on the Star Trek Simulator. I survived but I rode the middle of the vehicle. I still felt "bad" when I got off but I know I wasn't bouncing in the air as much as the front or back was. I also wasn't tipping left and right as much as the sides were.

Kentenathien
12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. As I said before, i'm not even prone to getting motion sickness, never have been but because of an incident earlier in my life, it set upon a chain of events that led to me having an extreme fear of vomiting and therefore, doing anything that might cause a normal person to get motion sickness. I can ride rides with drops easily, just nothing that spins. I'm just afraid of Space Mountain primarily cause i'm afraid of starting to feel sick or even nervous and then being trapped on the ride, lol. However, since it is however my stomach feels while waiting in line (I usually wait in line with my friends even on rides i'm not gonna ride and then cross-over), perhaps i'll try some dramamine coupled with a lorezapam and maybe i'll actually feel like hopping on space mountain.

wingsong
12-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I can't handle spinning thus no tea cups or Grizzly River run for me.
The weird lights at the beginning of Space Mountain make my tummy very unhappy very quickly (I learned to close my eyes when the ride starts).
I have no desire to take a trip around Mickey's head so choose not to ride California Screamin, but my boys love it.
I also don't do the part of the sunwheel that moves around their own little ovals on the larger wheel (why tempt fate).