PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the long queues?

catcher rye
12-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi folks,

I am leaving tomorrow for Disneyland! Plan to visit on sunday and monday...the weather forecast is nice. I have heard so many stories about waiting in long lines to enter an attraction or a ride. Haven't heard/read much about what to do to kill time or avoid having to stand in a queue in the first place (apart from going only on weekdays but that's not applicable here).

I think I'll take two small foldable chairs for me and the wife (no kids)...save energy for both days. Can you guys suggest the name of rides/attractions which have fastrack pass or something so that we can go checkout those first?

I don't think they allow outside food or drinks. Hope its not too expensive inside.

Any other DOs and DONT's for the first timer to Disneyland (Anaheim)?

BTW, I am also staying over until Tuesday. From your experience, is that day any less crowded than sunday or monday (Christmas)?

Too many questions...Thanks for your patience to read so far.

stan4d_steph
12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Have you read MousePlanet's Disneyland Park Guide (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=A00000)? If not, I would suggest you start there. It's quite extensive, with listings for all attractions, including information on which have FastPass.

Also, read this summary of the FastPass system and how it works (http://www.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?pg=fastpass) before you go.

I wouldn't bother with folding chairs. You probably won't be allowed in with them anyway. There are benches and chairs all around the park to sit when you need a bit of rest. The Tiki Room is also a good place to get some good quality sitting time in an air-conditioned space.

ScottDisneyFan
12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi folks,

I am leaving tomorrow for Disneyland! Plan to visit on sunday and monday...the weather forecast is nice. I have heard so many stories about waiting in long lines to enter an attraction or a ride. Haven't heard/read much about what to do to kill time or avoid having to stand in a queue in the first place (apart from going only on weekdays but that's not applicable here).

I think I'll take two small foldable chairs for me and the wife (no kids)...save energy for both days. Can you guys suggest the name of rides/attractions which have fastrack pass or something so that we can go checkout those first?

I don't think they allow outside food or drinks. Hope its not too expensive inside.

Any other DOs and DONT's for the first timer to Disneyland (Anaheim)?

BTW, I am also staying over until Tuesday. From your experience, is that day any less crowded than sunday or monday (Christmas)?

Too many questions...Thanks for your patience to read so far.

First timer? Use the Fastpass and single rider lines...

I would get there first thing in the morning and go on Indiana Jones, Pirates and then go over and get a fast pass for Space Mountain...enjoy time on other attractions and then the next day I would go on any missed rides first thing in the morning or later at night instead of fireworks or fantasmic or parades...etc.

Of course you have to fit in time for California Adventure in there somewhere...hmmm, I would spend about 6 hours in CA on day two. Single rider is a blessing on Soarin'.

emmah
12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
have you heard about The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland? it has fantastic touring plans designed for days like you are going to experience - see if you can pick it up on the way to the airport and read it closely! this trip we take in a public holiday so we have subscribed to RideMax for the first time and looking forward to seeing how that works.

snappy
12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Visit:
Knott's Berry Farm
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Universal Studios Hollywood
Adventure City
Just kidding...
1. Use the Fast pass system
2. Go ride Peter Pan's flight first with the rest of the Fantasy land rides.
3. Splash in the afternoon, too cold at dust.
Have fun!!

catcher rye
12-22-2006, 12:01 PM
have you heard about The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland? it has fantastic touring plans designed for days like you are going to experience - see if you can pick it up on the way to the airport and read it closely! this trip we take in a public holiday so we have subscribed to RideMax for the first time and looking forward to seeing how that works.

Hey, I haven't heard about this Unofficial Guide? Is a copy available online? Well, I am driving from San Francisco area so can't pick it up at the airport :-) Somebody did mention about RideMax in another thread. Still have to check it out. Ah, sometimes planning takes more time than vacation itself! And then you need another day to recover from all that exertion :-)

catcher rye
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Visit:
Knott's Berry Farm
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Universal Studios Hollywood
Adventure City
Just kidding...
1. Use the Fast pass system
2. Go ride Peter Pan's flight first with the rest of the Fantasy land rides.
3. Splash in the afternoon, too cold at dust.
Have fun!!

Snappy, the purpose of my original post was to find out about the Fast Pass system. Is it something you buy at DLR? Or, is it that some rides are designated as Fast Pass if you sort of sign up for them? Jeez, I am getting excited but haven't figured out which rides to go first. Oh well, I have two days...

ScottDisneyFan
12-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Snappy, the purpose of my original post was to find out about the Fast Pass system. Is it something you buy at DLR? Or, is it that some rides are designated as Fast Pass if you sort of sign up for them? Jeez, I am getting excited but haven't figured out which rides to go first. Oh well, I have two days...

there is a lot of information about the FastPass system but basically...when you get your passport to the park or parks it has a barcode on it...there are various attractions around the park that have FastPass areas. Basically, you will slide your Disneyland passport in the machine (sort of like an ATM) and then it will give you a ticket for what amounts to basically a reservation for that ride. The FastPass ticket will have a window of time for you to return to that ride. For instance, if you go to Space Mountain and get a FastPass, a little ticket will pop out saying, return between 1pm and 2pm.

You return to the ride within the window (although the end time is very flexible) and enter a seperate line for FastPass ticket holders.

Now, it does get a bit more complicated. For instance, you can't get more than one FastPass at a time (however there are exceptions).

There is a link in this thread to a wonderful article about using the FastPass system.

It does not cost any money. It is included in your Disneyland Passport.

PanFan
12-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey, I haven't heard about this Unofficial Guide? Is a copy available online? Well, I am driving from San Francisco area so can't pick it up at the airport :-) Somebody did mention about RideMax in another thread. Still have to check it out. Ah, sometimes planning takes more time than vacation itself! And then you need another day to recover from all that exertion :-) The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World was how we were able to do the entire 4 parks in 3 1/2 days with time to spare. I'm sure the one for Disneyland is similar in describing the Fast Pass system and giving descriptions of all the attractions. The absolute best part of the book are the touring plans at the end. They tell you the order in which to do things to best beat the crowds. For example, the Magic Kingdom one (for WDW) said to get to the gate 30 minutes before opening, then at rope drop head to Space Mountain. Then go to Pooh, then Snow White, then Peter Pan, etc. By the time the park was open 1 hour, we had done 8 rides (and PP twice!). They even tell you when to get a Fast Pass for something. We were done with every singe ride in the park except the two we didn't want to do by 6pm and were able to watch two parades and fireworks in the evening. And this was on a Saturday in the middle of summer.

I realize I'm talking about Walt Disney World, but this book was invaluable for a first timer to that park, so I will bet the Disneyland version will be just as useful. I think it costs around $20, but it is worth twice that just for the touring plans. We got ours at Borders, so any bookstore should have it.

Have a great time!

MiaTurner
12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Since you have no kids you guys should definitely take advantage of the Single Rider lines. They appear on more popular attractions like Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Run, California Screamin', Soarin' Over California and the like.

Also, get there way before the park opens. The first half hour to an hour, everything in the back of the park is a LOT less crowded since some people tend to do Disneyland in order. (Starting at Main Street and working their way around.) I would suggest doing popular rides first thing like Indiana Jones, Peter Pan, or Space Mountain; the lines are shorter than they probably will be for the rest of the day.

And just a tip I give to all Disneyland newbies, don't feel like you have to ride EVERYTHING. ;) You can have just as fun an stress-free of a day by only doing the things you REALLY wanna do.

catcher rye
12-23-2006, 07:38 AM
And just a tip I give to all Disneyland newbies, don't feel like you have to ride EVERYTHING. ;) You can have just as fun an stress-free of a day by only doing the things you REALLY wanna do.

Yeah! That has to be one of the best tips! Don't get carried away :-)

Thank you all for your posts! I'll be in DLR tomorrow morning...one among thousands of people!!

mistofviolets
12-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Get there early! Nap midday if you must, but the earlier you are there the shorter the lines will be, period.

Fast Pass is great...you take your ticket and go to the little fast pass kiosk (the CM will point you there if you need it) and put in your ticket, out pops a little card. Return anytime after your earliest return time. Personally, I would stock up on fast passes in the morning...and then use them later in the day.

Ride Max is great too. Its a downloadable program, you tell it what you want to ride and when you'll be there, when you want a break etc, and it tells you the best touring plan for short lines. Play with it though...I think we printed up 3 or 4 different plans, and for some rides we really wanted to do I toldi t we wanted to ride 10 times, just that ride. And then looked for the shortest wait time :D

Don't miss the Aladdin show in DCA. :-)

disneyperson
12-23-2006, 02:53 PM
It will be super crowded but also should be super fun. Just relax. The Cast Members can explain fast pass and there are usually helpful guests that can give you some tips as well. There are wonderful musical groups all around the park that you can enjoy while you take a break.

Stay until closing if you can. Those last hours after the fireworks are often the best.

Fast Pass will help, but you won't be able to avoid long lines altogether. You won't be able to do it all. The best advice was to enjoy what you can and not stress about fitting too much in.