PDA

View Full Version : 2nd floor of the Starcade

Pages : [1] 2 3

DisneylandForever
12-21-2006, 01:24 PM
So I'm sure this has been discussed before, but does anybody have any new opinions as to what should fill the vacant 2nd floor of the Starcade? I don't even pass it anymore, as I always ride Space Mountain using a FP. Is it still completely empty, or are they using it for storage? Is the X-Wing still hanging from the ceiling?

What do you guys think they should do with it?

PS - Scott, please don't say "add a loop" :p

Bolivar
12-21-2006, 01:51 PM
As I said in the other topic, I think they need to rethink all of Tomorrowland. When I was a kid I loved Tomorrowland, but I don't think that 1950s/1960s vision of the future is really relevant anymore. I know it is blasphemous to say that Tomorrowland should not be Tomorrowland, but I guess that is what I'm saying.

Certainly the fix isn't as easy as fixing this space or that, the problem is systemic.

Andrew
12-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I know it is blasphemous to say that Tomorrowland should not be Tomorrowland, but I guess that is what I'm saying.
Easy: Just re-name it "Todayland (http://photos.imageevent.com/micoofy/apr/apr-todayland.jpg)".

(From Meet the Robinsons (http://imdb.com/title/tt0396555/))

ScottDisneyFan
12-21-2006, 01:59 PM
As I said in the other topic, I think they need to rethink all of Tomorrowland. When I was a kid I loved Tomorrowland, but I don't think that 1950s/1960s vision of the future is really relevant anymore. I know it is blasphemous to say that Tomorrowland should not be Tomorrowland, but I guess that is what I'm saying.

Certainly the fix isn't as easy as fixing this space or that, the problem is systemic.

True...It is blesphemous to say that Tomorrowland should not be Tomorrowland. I hope it always will be...but perhaps it needs a subtitle.

Tomorrowland: The Excitement and Adventure of Space Travel

Perhaps they could do an entire space theme for the land. I would not mind that.

Turn Autopia into some sort of Mars rover ride or Moon rover or something...

Hmmmm

ScottDisneyFan
12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Easy: Just re-name it "Todayland (http://photos.imageevent.com/micoofy/apr/apr-todayland.jpg)".

(From Meet the Robinsons (http://imdb.com/title/tt0396555/))

I don't even know if I would say that...I might call it 1998land...:p

Bytebear
12-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I have thought about it, and I think they should re-route the queue of Space Mountain through the starcade upper level and then down to where the queue for Honey I Shrunk the Audience is. This would free up the whole upper terrace for a restaraunt with a view of the park.

ScottDisneyFan
12-21-2006, 02:02 PM
I have thought about it, and I think they should re-route the queue of Space Mountain through the starcade upper level and then down to where the queue for Honey I Shrunk the Audience is. This would free up the whole upper terrace for a restaraunt with a view of the park.

Not a bad idea...hmmmm

Bolivar
12-21-2006, 02:06 PM
And I guess they could move finding Nemo to Fantasyland.

Andrew
12-21-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't even know if I would say that...I might call it 1998land...:p
It stopped being 1998-land when they finally got rid of the cat-poop paint and made everything white again.

I have thought about it, and I think they should re-route the queue of Space Mountain through the starcade upper level and then down to where the queue for Honey I Shrunk the Audience is. This would free up the whole upper terrace for a restaraunt with a view of the park.The problem with that as I recall is that the roof of the Magic Eye Theater (HIStA) is not strong enough to support anything more than a few planters. You may note the Space Mountain line is only routed around the edges of the terrace, not across the center.

DisneylandForever
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
And I guess they could move finding Nemo to Fantasyland.

I just assumed they were going to "re-zone" the Lagoon over to Fantasyland after the ride opened. Are they not? How can a Finding Nemo ride be considered futuristic?

PanFan
12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm still confused about how Star Tours can be futuristic, seeing as how it all took place "A long time ago..." Although I still think Tomorrowland should have to do with advances in technology and looking to the future (the way it was designed to), the emphasis now is almost completely on outer space. So why not make it explicit and rename the whole land appropriately? ScottDisneyFan--I like the moon/Mars rover idea for Autopia!

ScottDisneyFan
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm still confused about how Star Tours can be futuristic, seeing as how it all took place "A long time ago..." Although I still think Tomorrowland should have to do with advances in technology and looking to the future (the way it was designed to), the emphasis now is almost completely on outer space. So why not make it explicit and rename the whole land appropriately? ScottDisneyFan--I like the moon/Mars rover idea for Autopia!

Thanks...I work in the entertainment industry and there are a lot of cool effects you could do cheaply on the Autopia tracks to make it space oriented.

I don't think a complete name change for Tomorrowland is necessary though...I mean, even thought Star Tours took place a "long time ago..." the technology of it still is futuristic to us...

Does anyone remember Alien Encounter at WDW? I am sure they could cram that in somewhere at DL. I enjoyed that ride.

DisneylandForever
12-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Does anyone remember Alien Encounter at WDW? I am sure they could cram that in somewhere at DL. I enjoyed that ride.

Never got to see it myself. By the time I made it to WDW it had been changed to Stitch's Great Escape. Which, unfortunately, is just as if not more craptacular than Innoventions!

ScottDisneyFan
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Never got to see it myself. By the time I made it to WDW it had been changed to Stitch's Great Escape. Which, unfortunately, is just as if not more craptacular than Innoventions!

It was probably too scary for small children so I don't think we would every see it at DL but something of that sort...it would attract more than HISTA.

jeffthechef
12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Is it still completely empty, or are they using it for storage? Is the X-Wing still hanging from the ceiling?

What did it used to be?

DisneylandForever
12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
What did it used to be?

The 2nd floor of the Starcade? Just more video games. Some of the bigger ones too like air hockey tables and those shooting basketball games.

Andrew
12-21-2006, 03:24 PM
The second floor also housed a small-ish collection of "classic" videogames--as I recall they had an original Star Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(arcade_game)), a Tron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(arcade_game)) and a few others, all in quite good condition.

DisneylandForever
12-21-2006, 03:35 PM
The second floor also housed a small-ish collection of "classic" videogames--as I recall they had an original Star Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(arcade_game)), a Tron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(arcade_game)) and a few others, all in quite good condition.

The Tron was downstairs on the righthand side. I know because my cousin and I loved that game. In fact during the 80's I actually remember there was a whole wall of Tron games, like 5 or 6 of 'em. And there were TV's in the wall 5 ft above the game so people could actually watch you playing your video game. LOL

Damn I have weird random memories!

Alex S.
12-21-2006, 03:52 PM
The problem with that as I recall is that the roof of the Magic Eye Theater (HIStA) is not strong enough to support anything more than a few planters. You may note the Space Mountain line is only routed around the edges of the terrace, not across the center.

If I know what area you're talking about, at the rededication of Space Mountain last summer (the one where Neil Armstrong was there) they pretty much filled the area with people.

Andrew
12-21-2006, 04:03 PM
If I know what area you're talking about, at the rededication of Space Mountain last summer (the one where Neil Armstrong was there) they pretty much filled the area with people.
Just the Web site correspondents, though, right? :~D

The structural issue was the conventional wisdom during the '97 Tomorrowland project, which may have been incorrect at the time or corrected since then.

cstephens
12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Here's my vote against Alien Encounter coming to DL. It's way too scary. I was actually quite surprised to see it at a Disney park. (Skippy was cute though.)

Rapunzelthorn
12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Here's my vote against Alien Encounter coming to DL. It's way too scary. I was actually quite surprised to see it at a Disney park. (Skippy was cute though.)

My husband and I LOVED Alien Encounter at Disney World! That was before we had children though. I still have my Alien Encounter t-shirt and keyring. But, yes, it was way too scary for a small child.

Disney Vault
12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I hated the idea of trying to change TL into the Paris Discoveryland. However I would love if they just changed the name of the land to Discoveryland.

ScottDisneyFan
12-22-2006, 08:40 AM
I hated the idea of trying to change TL into the Paris Discoveryland. However I would love if they just changed the name of the land to Discoveryland.

I dont think I can stomach a name change....

Disney Vault
12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I dont think I can stomach a name change....
I loved the idea even more of changing the future world section of epcot to Discoveryland. I just think that name sounds more adventurous.