PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

tqk
05-24-2002, 01:40 PM
We are coming to Disneyland this fall and can't decide where to stay? We have one daughter (age 4) and a son (6 mos.). We want to be able to return to the hotel easily for naps, etc. in the afternoon. We would like a place that is CLEAN, nice and a little on the upper end as far as ammenities (nice pools, etc.).

Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MouseWife
05-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Check the Travel section here, punching in the date and seeing what comes up.

I have stayed a lot of places. I have to say I like security, cleanliness, nice amenities and an affordable price.

The Disney resorts can match them all except not always price.

The Embassy Suites I like because with the kids you can send them down for breakfast with Dad while you finish getting ready or have him take the 4 year old and bring back breakfast for you. It always helped me as I hate to rush everyone {including myself} and it does take a lot to get everyone ready and together.

There are other places, others will post about the one that is right across the street from the park.

But, the best thing is, you can make reservations and if a better deal comes up you can change it!!! I surf the net all of the time, scouting for a good price. They change all of the time. And, the fall is a good time for deals.

I was checking the price for one Embassy Suites. It was $179. I couldn't pay that {wouldn't}. Kept checking and eventually {won't always happen though} it went down to $125. I booked it. Now it is back up to $179. Might go down again so I keep checking.

Also, AAA is great. All of the money I am saving {on above hotel a lot} I got the card and it seems for free.

{I will let someone else give you some advice.} Have fun!!

Dave Z
05-24-2002, 02:00 PM
If you can afford DL Hotel I say do it. If you have your days decided call now for Hotel reservations, not a Package. Then as you get closer check Expedia and Annual Pasholder discounts for the hotel because it can be much cheaper. If it's cheaper to do it with at least one AP or thru Expedia you can cancel hotel rezzies without penalty but not the Package.

There are several Harbor Blvd hotels to choose from, too. Just jump to the DLR guide in the upper right corner of this page and look for hotel reviews.

Have fun! :)

Marty
05-24-2002, 02:30 PM
If the Disneyland hotels are out of your price range, may I strongly suggest staying at the Staybridge. We just got back from 4 days there and we were very impressed. Most of the rooms are suites, which is perfect for putting the little ones down for a nap while providing a space for the adults to unwind at night after the children are put to bed. They also come with full kitchens, nice for keeping costs down on lunches and evening snacks. As part of the room charge they provide a very decent breakfast every morning (full continental with a few hot items), and there is no problem grabbing a few extra muffins or bagels to bring to the park with you. Decent enough pool and full laundry facilities for free. Each room also has full high speed internet access and a VCR – so bring your Disney tapes. Lastly, the place had only been open for about half a year, so the rooms are still in very nice condition.

You will have to take a shuttle back and forth to the park, but this was only about a 5 minute ride and we didn’t find it much of a hardship. The only real negative I can say about the place is that their fold out beds were not very comfortable. Not that we used them for the nights, but I did give it a try for an afternoon nap.

All in all we were very impressed, and unless the Disneyland hotels start offering suites at decent prices, this is where we will stay for all future visits.

EandCDad
05-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Never heard of the Staybridge, will have to check it out. Very similar in terms of amenities (kitchen, pool, VCR, continental breakfast) is the Residence Inn. A short shuttle drive (5 min or so) to the park. Very nice, well kept up.

jslivinski
05-24-2002, 03:45 PM
I recommend the Residence Inn. We normally stay at the one in Orange 5-10 minute drive, because it is cheaper than the Anahiem one. The rooms are large, with a full kitchen, you get breakfast and dinner. We have never been unhappy there.

coronamouseman
05-24-2002, 03:55 PM
My suggestion would be to find a hotel in the Anaheim area that meets your price range AND (the most important part!) offers some kind of shuttle service or at least local bus service to DLR.

With the new parking structure, returning to your car to return to your hotel can be quite a long and arduous trek - I believe you will find things much easier if you can simply hop a hotel shuttle over at the shuttle loading area outside the park to go back to your hotel.

Hyatt (Anaheim) and Doubletree (Orange) are major hotels just a few minutes from Disney and which may have a shuttle service.
There are a bunch of motels in Anaheim as well which might be part of some shuttle bus service or Anaheim bus routes which will take you right to the park entrance as well.

MagicBeliever
05-24-2002, 04:45 PM
We've stayed at the nearby neighbor hotels as well as the Disneyland Resorts, and although the DL resorts were quite a bit more costly, we still find them worth our money and we continue to stay at the DL Hotel whenever we visit the park. The service, food, and "Disney" touches just can't be beat.

heidiwhr
05-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Make sure you check out mousesavers.com. It has several really good suggestions on saving on hotels. With their heads up, I was able to get the Grand Californian for HALF PRICE! (expedia.com lowers room rates two weeks out and less.) Good luck, and have fun!