PDA

View Full Version : GCH Refillable Mugs have been cancelled

Darkbeer
12-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Stopped by the Whitewater Snacks location for lunch today, and found a sign that stated the sale of the refillable mugs have been eliminated, and that they will honor the current mugs thru January 1st, 2007, and then the program is over.

I took a photo which should be up later tonight, but wanted to give a heads up....

808Disney
12-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Thank you Darkbeer. I'm headin' that way this coming Sat. Thats a great TIP for me. Luckily I took the "Concierge" so I can get the free drinks there.

TikiGeek
12-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Too much abuse.

Loomis
12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
What will people do to store their various hot beverages and other liquids now?

cstephens
12-18-2006, 08:04 PM

What kinds of hot beverages are they carrying around that didn't already come with a container for said hot beverage? As for "other liquids", you can bring your own water container or if you get a beverage at the resort, they do come in containers as opposed to just giving you liquid freeform...

olegc
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM

note - the announcement was the cessation of free refills. You will more than likely see souvenir mugs still being offered - but no free refills...

Park Freak
12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
My sister is NOT going to be happy.:eek:

I'm not sure that you can abuse "free refills", but maybe it's just that too many people found out about it.:(

Pam

olegc
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
My sister is NOT going to be happy.:eek:

I'm not sure that you can abuse "free refills", but maybe it's just that too many people found out about it.:(

well, you can if you refill with the same mug for every visit (stay at the hotel) - when it was supposed to only be for the current visit you were on, right?

TikiGeek
12-20-2006, 06:52 AM
well, you can if you refill with the same mug for every visit (stay at the hotel) - when it was supposed to only be for the current visit you were on, right?That's one way. People got hip to the fact that could buy one mug and refill "other" cups and containers.

Disney Vault
12-21-2006, 07:52 PM
I can see this program working in WDW much better. It just doesn't make sense with the huge local base.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
note - the announcement was the cessation of free refills. You will more than likely see souvenir mugs still being offered - but no free refills...

This way...they still make the money off of the souvenir mug! How much could a coffee refill really cost? I mean come on DL!!! Of course, one cup or two a day is enough for me. I realize some people abused the system and that's probably why it went away.

disneyhound
12-22-2006, 08:06 AM
I can see this program working in WDW much better. It just doesn't make sense with the huge local base.

Yea, those darn AP'rs again... ;)

olegc
12-22-2006, 10:15 AM
This way...they still make the money off of the souvenir mug! How much could a coffee refill really cost? I mean come on DL!!! Of course, one cup or two a day is enough for me. I realize some people abused the system and that's probably why it went away.

it's not "some people" - it's a lot. If I recall correctly I can honestly say at least 30 people alone I remember on the pad say they go to WW Snacks to get a meal and free refills because hey, they sold them the mug, and it's such a bargain!

And, disneyhound - hey, I'm an APer and never once took advantage of this deal - so don't label everyone ! :D

Merry Christmas!

stan4d_steph
12-22-2006, 10:44 AM
That's too bad that it's being discontinued, but I'm sure they figured out they were losing too much potential revenue given their inability to monitor who was using a mug from a previous trip and who was using it for the first time.

kmovies
12-22-2006, 11:22 AM
It's not really the 5 cent cost of the refill they lose, it is the $2.50 beverage sales they lose.

cstephens
12-22-2006, 12:55 PM
And in my opinion, the amount of money they lose is irrelevant. I've heard that argument used for a lot of things. "Disney makes a lot of money, they could afford not to make X amount more." In my opinion, that's just a justification for stealing.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-22-2006, 04:32 PM
And, disneyhound - hey, I'm an APer and never once took advantage of this deal - so don't label everyone ! :D

Merry Christmas!

I am am APer too and I've never even bought the refill mug! ha!

It's really too bad that SO many abused the system.

Disney Vault
12-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea, those darn AP'rs again... ;)
No kidding:D

disneyhound
12-23-2006, 05:12 AM
...And, disneyhound - hey, I'm an APer and never once took advantage of this deal - so don't label everyone ! :D

Merry Christmas!

I ended my post with a wink, as tongue and cheek it was intended. While not an APer, I have read enough posts to join the AP bashing; this just seemed like an opportunity to take a swipe!

Nothing personal, you, you, you APer you... ;););)

Merry Christmas!!!

jMom
12-23-2006, 12:56 PM
I recently read that if you book a vacation package, you get a special mug and 4 or 5 mug refills. I think it was part of the booking package from AAA, but can't be sure. If I run across it again, I'll do a follow-up post.

Califgirl
12-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I read about that AAA refillable mug too. I think you have to book a package minimum 2 nights, and the refills are only good at select Disneyland Resort locations. They really didn't elaborate about the program. I dont think it is in place yet.