PDA

View Full Version : Any benefit staying in Paradise Pier?

DalOwnerx3
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi,

We are going to be in Disneyland Jan 8-12, 2007. We are debating whether to stay off resort (Portofino?) or on resort (Paradise Pier). The difference is a couple of hundred of dollars (after taking into account the $150 gift card if we stay at Paradise Pier).

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra to stay on Disney property? Paradise Pier has childcare and other activities but I doubt we would be spending much time at the hotel. We are booking through WDTC so both gets the toontown bonus. I don't think it'll be that crowded at the opening so I don't think I should worry about traffic.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

MammaSilva
12-14-2006, 11:35 AM
If you have little ones that love Build a Bear you can reserve spots to go to a 'special party' an hour before the store opens to regular customers, there is a 10 dollar minimum purchase per guest to participate but it was one of the biggest perks along with the EE for every day we were guests at the hotel and the access to the guest service folks to make PS for us even tho if you called direct you'd hear that there were no spots left. The best guess we had is that they hold spots for on property guests because we got PS every time we asked even as late as morning or afternoon of!

wabby1
12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd also like to mention by way of a shameless plug for the Lilo & Stitch breakfast at Paradise Pier. Definitely worth it. Have fun regardless!

tinker3
12-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Our friends were not big fans of the Portofino Inn. I haven't stayed there, but I know they said the beds were not comfy and the pillows were about as fluffy as a piece of paper. ;)

We have stayed at the Paradise Pier and LOVED it. The view was amazing. If they are not booked and you ask for a view they might give it to you, or you can pay for it. The rooms were pretty spacious compared to most. The little fridge also came in handy. While we were there the monorail was not working, and we didn't mind the walk, although little ones would need a stroller. Not to mention the Disney atmosphere can't be beat! :)

Good luck with your decision.

CardQB
12-14-2006, 12:13 PM
We stayed at the Paradise Pier about 2 years ago. After staying at all three DLR hotels in the past few years, we definately preferred the Paradise Pier hotel.

You can take a short cut to DL/DCA by going through the Grand Calif. Hotel... just cross the street and go through the lobby of the hotel, any DLR hotel guest can enter DCA through GCH. It cuts down on the walk.. and on the way back to the hotel, especially if it's late, take the GCH entrance in Downtown Disney to cut down the walk.

Enjoy!

JohnGar
12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd also like to mention by way of a shameless plug for the Lilo & Stitch breakfast at Paradise Pier. Definitely worth it. Have fun regardless!

The wife and have done all four character breakfasts at DLR and feel the Lilo & Stitch breakfast at the PCH Grill has the best quality of food. The selection is as big as Goofy's Kitchen at the DH, but I love the maple bacon. Besides L&S, you also get Minnie, Max and sometimes Pluto.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Personally, I can never justify the prices at the hotels on site and I am an AP holder. I've yet to find one that can match where we normally stay and it's a hotel suite! Hope you get a great deal!!! Have a wonderful time.

canadianmom
12-17-2006, 07:25 AM
We have stayed at Paradise Pier two years in a row and love it. The price isn't that bad, it is close and very comfortable and quiet. This year we had a room with a view and wow at night what a great view. We used the pool at night, it was great. The restaurant where the Lilo and Stitch breakfast is serves great food also for supper, the steak was cooked to perfection! I am bias because we haven't stayed anywhere else, but would definitely go back to Paradise Pier.

jeffthechef
12-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Personally, I can never justify the prices at the hotels on site and I am an AP holder. I've yet to find one that can match where we normally stay and it's a hotel suite! Hope you get a great deal!!! Have a wonderful time.

Which hotel do you stay at? We have been staying at PP for the last 3 visits because of it's proximity to the parks. Unbfortunately, it is starting to break my wallet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.:)

I Heart Disneyland!
12-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Which hotel do you stay at? We have been staying at PP for the last 3 visits because of it's proximity to the parks. Unbfortunately, it is starting to break my wallet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.:)

We normally stay at Homewood Suites, which is a Hilton hotel. It's 3 miles from the park and we got it for $116 a night in November. It has 2 rooms, a living room and bedroom. The living room has a fold out bed in the couch and you can get 2 queen beds in the bedroom. It also has a full size refrigerator, 2 burners, dishes, silverware, pots and pans, etc. It's really like an apartment. A small one, but, still....we really like to bring our DL treats to the hotel, or if we have leftovers from a meal we've had out, we can put them in the fridge and use the microwave to warm them later. We always buy a gallon of milk for the fridge and pop too. We get treats so that if we have a hankerin' for a midnight snack we have it right there in the kitchen.

PeoplemoverMisser
02-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Is the pool area toddler-friendly?

For about $50 less than DLH, we get 1 extra day by choosing PP, which means 1 extra day in Disneyland!!

I know it started as a non-Disney property (Pan-pacific if I'm remembering correctly. I've heard they've been tying to retro-fit it to Disneyfications the last couple of years.

Malcon10t
02-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Is the pool area toddler-friendly?

For about $50 less than DLH, we get 1 extra day by choosing PP, which means 1 extra day in Disneyland!!

I know it started as a non-Disney property (Pan-pacific if I'm remembering correctly. I've heard they've been tying to retro-fit it to Disneyfications the last couple of years.It was The Emerald the first time I stayed there. Then it changed to the Pan Pacific, then Paradise Pier. They have done a lot of "Disneyfications" since acquiring it back in the 90s I believe.

futurecm21
02-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, I'm not a big fan of the Paradise Pier hotel, out of the three disney hotels, it is my least favorite, but thats not to say it isn't still a great place to stay. When I have a choice between an on site, and off site hotel, for me the choice is obvious. I will pick any one of the DLR hotels every time. Its just so much more magical, and more conveniant. I would recomend the Paradise Pier, but there are many off sight hotels that are just as pleasing. Have a great trip!:)
futurecm21