PDA

View Full Version : DL as historic site

netnet
05-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Since I work for the Texas agency that issues historical markers in the state, I have to ask: Does DL have an historical marker? If not has anyone ever thought about trying for one? Maybe not national, but at least state or city? Don't laugh, I'm serious.

Lacrosse Boy
05-24-2002, 09:55 AM
HAHAHA! j/k j/k

Anyhows, I doubt that Disneyland would have a Historical Marker, it is only almost 50 years old. Some onf the schools in my school district were built in the 50s (don't laugh at that, if you were in one, you'd think that they were fairly new!), and they don't have historical markers because they are old. I just highly doubt Disneyland would get one. (Or have one)

TomSawyer
05-24-2002, 11:50 AM
Walt wanted Disneyland to always be evolving.

Historical Place designation would make that impossible.

I like designations for certain buildings and sites, but not DL - it needs to breathe and grow and change to be alive.

netnet
05-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, Texas has a marker for the Mule so I didn't think one for DL was so far fetched.:)

Uncle Dick
05-24-2002, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a historical marker of some kind for Sleeping Beauty Castle or the Main Street Railroad Station. Neither of those structures seem destined for Yesterland anytime soon.

coronamouseman
05-24-2002, 04:28 PM
I would think Disney would avoid such a designation like the plague - wouldn't it then mean that they would have to maintain something or have outside agencies evaluate their status et. al.

Ace
05-24-2002, 04:32 PM
I mean, I'd bet that you couldn't find an person above age 5 in this country who hasn't heard of Disneyland.

merlinjones
05-24-2002, 05:28 PM
>>I like designations for certain buildings and sites, but not DL - it needs to breathe and grow and change to be alive.<<

But since the WDC no longer supports that process in any quality minded or historically respectful way - - the place would be better off restored as a living Walt museum than turned into a whorehouse strip mall by these parasites bit by bit, piece by piece over time (like the last seven years have shown us).

Nigel2
05-24-2002, 09:11 PM
Also speaking of historical landmark matinence, do they have to make repairs to all of those kind of places in a specific way to "preseve authenticity"?

netnet
05-25-2002, 07:52 AM
Historical designations really do not put restrictions on the property owner, at least not in Texas. In fact there are tax incentives. I'm not knowledgeable on what Calif requires.

Ghoulish Delight
05-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
HAHAHA! j/k j/k

Anyhows, I doubt that Disneyland would have a Historical Marker, it is only almost 50 years old. Age is not necessarily a requirement for historical designation. For instance, the hangers at Tustin Marine Corps Air Station (the largets unsupported wooden structures in the world) were declared a national historical landmark in 1978, only 36 years after they were built.

Nigel2
05-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Also that being noted as a historical landmark doesn't protect it from demolition, they want to demolish one of the hangers (not the more popular one where they have shot movies such as The Spy who shagged me, from the earth to the moon, and many more).