PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane vs. Park Vue/Desert Inn

SarahJanet
12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm heading back to DL (YAY!) in April, and my best friend and I are starting to plot! (This time we're taking our husbands.) There's a GREAT seat sale on right now, so we're booking asap!

I'm trying to pick a hotel. Last time, we stayed at the Del Sol, and it was fine, but we decided we'd go slightly higher quality this time. (And I mean slightly.) We're torn between the Candy Cane Inn and either the Park Vue or Desert Inn and Suites.

Basically, I can't decide if we should go for the slightly longer walk at the Candy Cane, or the apparently less nice but much closer Park Vue or Desert Inn. We LOVED being so close last time - it was one of the best things about our trip that it was soooo convenient. But the Candy Cane looks so nice! Is it worth the extra walk? And how long IS the walk for four adults?

Also, does anyone know anything about what sort of fireworks, if any, they'll have? We're going over Easter, April 3-9. Anyone? Last time we were there was the March before the 50th, so things weren't up and running yet and the fireworks were a little bit lame. And don't get me started on Splash Mountain being closed - that's our second favourite! Boo. But Space Mountain will be open...right? This is my third trip with my best friend and it was closed BOTH other times!

MammaSilva
12-14-2006, 05:38 AM
We just got back and the crazy folks we went to hang out with were at the Candy Cane and love it, I've stayed at the Desert Suites and Inns and love the location, the park Vue is perfect too, you can't get much closer than that and not be sleeping on the train as it circles the park.

As for 'nicer' the CCI is significantly 'nicer' than Desert Suites and the parking is much better, that is my biggest complaint about the DS&I, the parking blows HUGE, and the pool is kind of funky, it's an inside pool which sounds awesome but it's usually kind of icky ....

We've stayed at the Park Vue a couple times and it's biggest draw is the I'm home when you walk across the street.

DangerMouse
12-14-2006, 06:42 AM
If you are really looking for a step-up from the Del Sol, then I would go with CCI. I don't consider Park Vue or Desert Inn really much nicer than Del Sol.

Also, remember the CCI has a dedicated shuttle that is extremely convenient and reliable from what I have heard. I believe the walk is about the same as it is from the HoJo (7-10 minutes).

IdahoMike
12-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Candy Cane all the way. The shuttle is great, and it is for CCI guests only, rather than the Anaheim Resort shuttle. If you choose to walk, it isn't that bad, especially if it isn't exceptionally hot outside. We have stayed at the Desert Inn, and as someone already said, the parking blows. They only had 1 working elevator when we were there, and from what I have read in trip reviews, that seems to be a regular occurrence. The convenience was nice, and the room was ok, but I'd much rather stay at the Candy Cane, any day of the week.

tod
12-14-2006, 07:07 AM
The tod Family has been at both the Park Vue and the Candy Cane. I prefer the Candy Cane for several reasons: The atmosphere is better, with rooms surrounding a courtyard. I'll take cars and other rooms over a six-story cinder block wall any time. Although the Park Vue is technically closer, the Candy Cane has a quick shuttle that runs on a regular schedule. And it's only a one-block walk if you don't want to wait for the shuttle, on a well-tended and far-from-the-street sidewalk. We also had a bad experience at the Park Vue, when they messed up our reservation and gave us a too-small room instead of the suite we reserved (and when you have two six-foot-plus teenagers, as "suite" is not a luxury, it's a necessity) so we asked if we could switch rooms and the Park Vue said there were none available. We called the Candy Cane and they had a big-enough room available right now and as soon as I hung up the phone it rang again. The front desk. Which had suddenly "discovered" an available suite. Which we could have for some more money. No thanks. It may be unfair to dislike a place because of one jerk desk clerk, but there you are. We haven't been back to the Park Vue since.

--t

Malcon10t
12-14-2006, 07:10 AM
We would vote for the Desert Inn because of location and the size of the rooms. To me, it is a big step above the Del Sol. When we stayed at the Del Sol, it was pretty gross, and it is the one motel on the strip my kids have said "Never again" to. They all love the Desert Inn. And the price for a suite is so nice. We are gettimg the Family Suite (sleeps 10) for $129 a night in June.

CCI is great, but we prefer the closeness of Desert Inn.

DisneylandForever
12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
The Candy Cane all the way. The rooms are way nicer, and the beds are very comfortable. Like tod said it's about a block away walking, and it takes like 5 minutes if you're in reasonable shape. My cousin and I like staying there also because it's right next to 7/11. I don't think I have ever taken the shuttle, but it seems to run a lot.

The Desert Inn is closer, for sure. But IMO the Candy Cane is well worth the extra 5 minute walk.

Jungle Cruiser
12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Last year we actually stayed at all three hotels on different trips. (We also have stayed at the HOJO, the Disneyland Hotel, the Grand Californian, and the Del Sol within the last 18 months -- Yes, we are crazy and broke) All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. The Candy Cane in is the nicest and best appointed of the three as far as accomodations, but the rooms are small and it cost more than the other hotels. If you want more space, then the Desert Inn rooms are the largest, but I agree that their parking situation is the worst of the three. The Park Vue is the closest (but virtually the same as the Desert Inn), but when we were there it was under renovation which made it less attractive. To our family it was much more important to have two adjoining rooms to accomodate our family of 7 which pushes me towards a suite at either the Park Vue or the Desert Inn. It was nice to be able to walk back to the room and take a nap with the baby. All three hotels were clean and generally well maintained. The continental breakfast at the Candy Cane was better than the others. If you are interested in a nice pool area then I would recommend the HOJO on Harbor. It is roughly the same distance as the Candy Cane (but the other direction) and you pass McDonalds on the way to the park each day which was convenient for breakfast, if you like greasy food.

Crazy4DL
12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
CCI for me :)

We have stayed there twice and I really like their beds and the appearance of the whole motel ~ lot of plants and the cobblestone drive is super neat. The pool is nice, the breakfast is nice. The shuttle is very clean and realiable.

The only slightly negative thing I might say is that the rooms aren't very large but to me the comfy bed makes up for that.

Signed, One of the "crazy" people that MammaSilva was referring to. :p

SarahJanet
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks, everyone! I think we're going to go with the Candy Cane Inn. They're listing for the same price as the Park Vue right now, and it does seem like a REALLY nice hotel with very consistent reviews. Plus being next to 7-11 is a big plus. The walk is pretty minimal - I'm sure we'll be fine! If I had kids distance might be more of a consideration but the difference between 2 minutes and 5 minutes is probably worth the better hotel.

I really appreciate all the input! You guys are sooo helpful. Whee! Disneyland! (I haven't been since March of 2005.)

Bolivar
12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
I stayed at the Park Vue in August and they just remodeled their rooms. The rooms are lovely and a great value. We stayed in a suite and it was terrific: Two queens in one room, a livingroom with a sofabed and large plasma tv and fireplace, a kitchenette, a spa tub in the bathroom. It was really, really nice. But... it is a motel. There are no grounds at all and the pool is right in the middle of the parking lot with a chain link fence around it. There are a few plants to screen it, but it is not at all nice.

Being close is a high priority for me though. If my trip is only a few days, I am going to be in the room or in the park and I like the convenience of being able to run back to the room for any little thing: I want a coat, I want to get rid of the coat, I want my camera, etc. So, I would chose the Park Vue over the Candy Cane. I were staying a whole week, I would then be more inclined to do some swimming in the pool, or relaxing on the grounds, then my choice might be different.

hlbtimes2
12-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I stayed at the CCI in March and May of this year. Once with family and once with friends. I enjoyed it both times. As a matter of fact, I just today booked for the end of April. We thought about going to the Park Place inn, for the larger rooms so my mom can come with. But, dh said he would rather pay for mom's room at the cci and stay there.

JosieGirl71
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I haven't stayed at any of these places but from what I have read, there is no comparison. CCI is the #1 hotel in Anaheim according to tripadvisor.com. Which is one reason why we are booked there in June (and some "crazy" woman from MP highly recommended it :D ).

And if you get too tired to walk, you can always take their free shuttle.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I may have to try CCI next time since I had theft from Homewood Suites on our trip 3 weeks ago! :( :(

Crazy4DL
12-14-2006, 04:45 PM
(and some "crazy" woman from MP highly recommended it :D ).

Yes, she does! Crazy but knows comfy when she feels it! :p ;)

Stevebp
12-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I have not stayed at either of the other hotels mentioned so I can not compare them to the Candy Cane Inn but I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn since 1998 and each time its just as good as the previous visit. The Candy Cane Inn is a small motor inn located about 250 yards from the Disney Parks Main gate, next door to the ABC Market and 7-11 stores both convenient for last minute snacks or something you forgot or ran out of. The property is clean and well maintained. The rooms are great good side room, confortable bed, seperate sink from bathroom. Coffee make, small refrigator and cable television with about 60 channels and Showtime. The complimentry Continental Breakfast ( Bagels, Danish/muffins, toast, cereal coffee, tea, hot chocolate and orange juice) and no one can beat the complimentry shuttle to and from the Disney Parks hourly the shuttle is run by the Candy Cane Inn and free( no other hotel in the area has this all others are contracted by the City of Anaheim and Disney) It is highly recommened. My only fear is that one day Disney will buy up the Candy Cane Inn to expend its mega resort.

disneyhound
12-19-2006, 05:17 AM
...Being close is a high priority for me though. If my trip is only a few days, I am going to be in the room or in the park and I like the convenience of being able to run back to the room for any little thing...

We prefer to stay across the street from DL. We stayed at the Park Vue this past January. It was not as nice as the Tropicanna or BWPPI, but location, location, location. We always get to the park for rope drop. We like being able to walk back to our hotel across the street for a break before heading back for the evening! Big plus for us! :)

Nancy
12-19-2006, 04:39 PM
The ONLY good thing about Desert Inn and Suites IS the location. I'd rather sleep in my car. They were taken off the good neighbor list by Disney ( a CM told me on the phone) for a reason.

Bolivar
12-20-2006, 02:38 PM
We prefer to stay across the street from DL. We stayed at the Park Vue this past January. It was not as nice as the Tropicanna or BWPPI, but location, location, location. We always get to the park for rope drop. We like being able to walk back to our hotel across the street for a break before heading back for the evening! Big plus for us! :)
Depending on what you are talking about as not being nice, it may be a lot nicer. They refurbished the rooms and the one we stayed in was quite nice. The grounds are non-existant. It is a basic motel -- a parking lot, exterior hallway and rooms. There is a pool in the middle of the parking lot. So if you are talking about the rooms, they are much nicer; if you are talking about the grounds, well they aren't any better.

Like I said, if I were going to be there just a few days, I would either be in the room or in the park so grounds aren't important to me; therefore, a nice room right across the street is ideal. If I were going to be there for a whole week, the grounds would start to be more important.

ghoofie
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
I love the Candy Cane. I even have Candy Cane attire they gave me. I don't wear it there though, lest people think I work there. :)