PDA

View Full Version : With the New Pirate Island, Will Yesterland be demolished?

WaltDisneyJr.
12-13-2006, 06:01 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/waltjr/Thanksgiving%202006/DSC04499.jpg

Above is the Burning Settler Cabin which was doused a long time ago and is no longer burning.

This is one of three Yesterland sites along the rivers of America. below are links to two of my other photos.

There is the Burning Cabin Above, the old Mine Train and Track from Nature's Wonderland, and the Gullywhumper (The Old Keel Boat)

For me, these are exciting sites along the rivers of America. But now with the New Pirate overlay, I wonder if these old sites are to be removed, gone forever. What do you think?

Here are some other pictures in link format!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/waltjr/Thanksgiving%202006/DSC04508.jpg

The Old Gullywhumper Keel Boat

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/waltjr/Thanksgiving%202006/DSC04515.jpg

The Old Mine Train From Nature's Wonderland, Still on the track from the original ride, on the site that used to be Cascade Peak.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/waltjr/Thanksgiving%202006/DSC04520.jpg

Klutch
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Since the PotC franchise is raking in boatloads of bounty, who knows, the burning cabin might actually be fixed and themed to resemble a "pirate pillage", or something.

As I understand it, the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland was funded by a portion of the profits from The Lion King, of which there was plenty to go around.

Disneyfreak
12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they bring back the burning cabin related to pirates.

DisneyDustin22
12-14-2006, 07:04 AM
I heard theyre going to construct the entire island to look like Johnny Depp's face. So you can see it from outer space. Kinda like the face on Mars. :p

ScottDisneyFan
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I had heard they are adding a loop to the island.

Bytebear
12-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I thought they already had a loop that goes all the way around the island.

just beatla33
12-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I know its nothing concrete, but I found this floating out there:

The Walt Disney Company is currently considering a proposal to reconstruct the entire attraction with a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, including replacing Fort Wilderness with an interactive pirate museum. The $28 million dollar project, if approved, would be completed or nearly completed in time for the release of the third Pirates film in 2007.[1] Apparently this proposal has been modified. A two-phase revamp would change the theme to "Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island" based upon stories in "Tom Sayer" where Tom, Huck and Joe Harper pretend to be pirates on the Mississippi. This less radical change would integrate pirate tie-ins with the original, but updated, Tom Sawyer feel

which makes sense, cause you can't have a Caribben theme island in the Rivers of America, you'd have to change everything.

animalx
12-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I think a new Hotel is in the works for that island.
This is the most wasted space in the Park. Hopefully they will do something exiting with it. Instead of it being a hangout for Teen and Hippies to smoke pot in the caves.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
I heard theyre going to construct the entire island to look like Johnny Depp's face. So you can see it from outer space. Kinda like the face on Mars. :p

hahaha! That would not surprise me! haha!

I think Tom Sawyer Island should be left alone. That is my 2 pennies.

ScottDisneyFan
12-14-2006, 01:27 PM

I had heard the loop was going to resimble Mr. Depp's face and be visible from space.

futurecm21
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I had heard they are adding a loop to the island.

Enough with the "loop" joke! I guess I haven't been to Disneyland in just long enough that I missed out on this joke, but it is deffinately confusing me lol!: :) I really hope that Tom Sawyers Island and the Rivers of America are kept virtually the same as they are, but with the river pirate them. My favorite attraction in any Disney park is the Sailing Ship Columbia, and I would hate to see that or anything else on the Rivers change. :geek: :crying: :crying: :crying: :( :mad::) :)
futurecm21

DisneylandForever
12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I definitely wouldn't mind any kind of "re-do" on Tom Sawyer's Island. That place sucks.

I think the Columbia would still fit in. It's famous for being the first American ship to sail around the world, but it still resembles a pirate ship, IMO. The Mark Twain, on the other hand, wouldn't match the pirate theme too well.

I suppose they would just have to keep the river separate from "Pirate Island," if they wanted the themes to make complete sense. But there is always wiggle room. The Matterhorn technically belongs in Adventureland if you compare it to the theming of all the other Fantasyland rides.

JohnGar
12-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Enough with the "loop" joke! I guess I haven't been to Disneyland in just long enough that I missed out on this joke, but it is deffinately confusing me lol!: :)

The loop joke is an "old" Disneyland tale/rumor/gag. It came up before when Space Mountain was refurbished for the 50th and recently when the Matterhorn was refurbished.

Check out this post about the Matterhorn; it gives other jokes about the loop:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=985990&postcount=19

I Heart Disneyland!
12-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I, myself, do not enjoy Tom Sawyer anymore, but, I think it's cool for kids. Let's face it, there are TOO many things entertaining kids these days. It's fun for them to run around there and explore.

DisneyDustin22
12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
The loop joke is an "old" Disneyland tale/rumor/gag. It came up before when Space Mountain was refurbished for the 50th and recently when the Matterhorn was refurbished.

Check out this post about the Matterhorn; it gives other jokes about the loop:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=985990&postcount=19

The loop joke is so popular I even put a loop in my tv room when I redid the apartment! :D

Animalia
12-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Remember the Mike Fink Keel Boats? Wasn't Mike Fink a river pirate at one time before he became friends with Davey Crocket?

JohnGar
12-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Remember the Mike Fink Keel Boats? Wasn't Mike Fink a river pirate at one time before he became friends with Davey Crocket?

From the Wikipedia entry on Mike Fink ("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fink)

The historical Mike Fink was allegedly born around 1770/1780 in Fort Pitt, near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When he began his career in navigation, he became notorious, both for his practical jokes, and for his willingness to fight anyone who was not amused. His 180 pound frame stretched 6'3" in height, and the muscles required to force a keelboat upstream would have made him a formidable opponent to most.

... Davy Crockett is supposed to have described him as "half horse and half alligator." Fink wore a red feather in his cap to signal his defeat of every strong man up and down the river.

... Elements of the Fink legend were present in Walt Disney's (Davy Crockett) rendition, but the character was played mostly for laughs as a foil for the infallible Crockett. Keel boats bearing Fink's name operated at Disneyland and Walt Disney World theme parks until they were quietly retired in the late '90s and early '00s.

futurecm21
12-15-2006, 06:05 PM
The loop joke is so popular I even put a loop in my tv room when I redid the apartment! :D

Wow, I am in shock becuase for once I did not know what is apparently a long running disney joke. I appologize for my questions about it, I guess I'll have to find out some of the newest (or oldest) disney dialect two summers from now when I go back to the DLR. (I'll be at WDW this summer). On another note I have a really, really old copy of a Tom Sawyer Cartoon, that features Injun Joe robbing the river boat, maybey the mark twain could distantly fit in this way.
futurecm21:) :)

PeoplemoverMisser
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I will always regret that I didn't make more effort to get my 11mo to the island last Spring when I took his 2yo brother. Even if it remains with some "modifications", it will never be the same.:crying: