PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Planning - Help!

orangechicken
12-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Okay, so a group of me and my friends (6 total college kids) are trying to plan a road trip down to DLR in September of 2007 (Roughly 3rd-7th). The problem is, we have to budget! So, I have a few questions to help us with our trip:
1) 1 Suite that sleeps 6 or 2 standard rooms?
2) Any suggestions as to where we should stay that's within our budget but still feels safe?
3) How much for food per day? Is $35 enough?
4) Best place to buy tickets?
5) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We're trying to keep it to around $400 per person, but less would be even better! Already estimated $300 total for gas ($50 per person).

Thanks!

PanFan
12-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Can't help with the accommodations questions--we always drive home after our day.

As far as food, though, $35 sounds about right if you're going to be eating in the park. If I eat in the park (the habit lately has been to hit one of the Taco Bells in the area before going in), it usually costs between $6 (turkey leg or pizza slice) and $10 (burger and drink) per person. I've never done breakfast there. You may want to skimp one day or two and give yourselves a nice sit down at Carnation or Blue Bayou. In my experience, those run between $15 and $30 per person (including tax and tip).

disney jones
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
camp at Doheny or San Clemente ;check Reserve America for availability, but camping spots for Sept open up Feb 1 i believe.

for food - bring in granola bars and gatorade - that's what we live on while we are there, and usually just have one Disnety dining experience a day.

tod
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
5) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BUY YOUR TICKETS AT ONCE. Prices will go up, they always do. Just to be on the safe side, get 'em before they go up again.

--t

disney jones
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
BUY YOUR TICKETS AT ONCE. Prices will go up, they always do. Just to be on the safe side, get 'em before they go up again.

--ti'd also do some math regarding one person in your party getting a Premium or Deluxe Annual Pass with free parking - maybe other discounts like ticket purchases/food could make it worth your while.

Leap for Joy
12-10-2006, 05:29 PM
The Anaheim Plaza (http://www.anaheimplazahotel.com/) is within easy walking distance to the parks and is reasonably priced. Their family suite is two adjoining rooms with a small refrigerator and a microwave.

JosieGirl71
12-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I seem to recall that there is a hotel/motel on Harbor that has 3 queens in one room. I cannot for the life of me remember which place it was. Anyone else remember?

momuvseven
12-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Go for two cheaper adjoining rooms with four beds. You are going to need the extra bathroom. Travelodge is not bad and it was cheap. Try expedia or getaway today dot com.

Walk to the park, no need to pay for parking or tram service if you are all in good shape. If you already spend your days walking all over campus you'll be fine.

There are stores nearby so pick up some groceries to snack on. Most rooms have a fridge and microwave. Stick to one meal a day in the park or treats from the snack carts. Take in your own bottle water and a few snacks too.

Have fun!

acpalmer
12-11-2006, 10:35 AM
You could check into the suites at the Carousel Inn. The one we had last summer had one room with a queen size bed and a bathroom and the other room had two queen size beds and a bathroom, so space for six and two bathrooms. I think we paid $189/night for it. (And we had a fridge and a microwave, if that's important to you. Continental breakfast was included but it was nothing to write home about--might save you some on food costs, though.)

Editing to add that it is within EASY walking distance.

DisneyLynn
12-11-2006, 09:01 PM
You've picked a great time to go! I love early Sept. there. There are quite a few hotels within a block or two of DL and if you just keep checking websites like expedia you should be able to find a good rate.

$35 should be enough for food, but if you need to make it stretch a little further there is a McDonald's right outside the maingate, and a Taco Bell about a block away. I always try to have one nice sit-down meal and one cheap/fast one like a corndog or slice of pizza. Also my favorite cheap place to eat is tacos from the side window at Tortilla Joe's in Downtown Disney.

If any of you are Costco members they sometimes have good deals on tickets.

When you get closer to finalizing your plans check the DL calendar and make sure you're going to be there for at least one night of fireworks!

Have fun, I have some great memories of some DL roadtrips back when I was in College, but most were only one day since I was only in San Diego.

Pirate Princess
12-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I have never been there so I CAN NOT reccomend.. perhaps others can.. but Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites has rad deals on huge rooms with multiple bathrooms:
Here is a description of the "C2 - Parlor Family Suite"

Designed with the comforts of home in mind, the bright and spacious C2 Suite is a luxurious family suite. Consisting of 3 separate sleeping areas, 2 bedrooms with 4 Queen Size beds and one living room with a pull out sofa bed, 2 baths and 800 SQ FT of space, this large suite sleeps up to 10 people.
It is usually around $119 a night or less. Parking is free and is literally right across the street from the entrance of DL. Harbor in general is super safe walking back at night.
My tip: Book now (you have up to 48 hours to cancel for free) and check the website every week to see if the price goes down (it usually does). If the price drops, make sure you book another room before canceling your other though... just in case.
Here's the website: Anaheim Desert Inn (http://www.secure-res.com/res/vn2/avail.asp?hotelid=1388&checkindate=9/14/2007&nights=3&rooms=1&trr=7FFFFFDABF1D32&adults=5&children=0&wtpid=dcsazp0aa00000ggje6gqgy1m_2p4i)

Pack snacks in a bag that have high levels of protein (more filling), bring your own water bottles (Costco-size box), bring breakfast foods with you to eat in your room before going to the park, find out where they serve huge portions and split food, refill your water bottle with cold water at Rancho Zoloco.. I am sure I will think of more... give me a bit.

JosieGirl71
12-12-2006, 09:21 AM
$119/night is a great price for the two room suite! I don't think you can beat that!

Pirate Princess - You have some good ideas. Keep 'em coming! :D

Pirate Princess
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
$119/night is a great price for the two room suite! I don't think you can beat that!

Pirate Princess - You have some good ideas. Keep 'em coming! :D
Being a broke grad student and a single mom brings out the "cheapy" in me :p

I keep promising (and bribing myself to get through school) that when I get my first job we are doing it up right at a resort hotel and eating at the Blue Bayou... perhaps a Disney Cruise and a trip to Orlando too. (Sorry just trying to talk myself into making it through these last few pages of my final paper. :rolleyes: )

Orange Chicken.. you didn't say where you are from (in state? So Cal-ish?) ... location may help me with some other suggesions.

JosieGirl71
12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Being a broke grad student and a single mom brings out the "cheapy" in me :p

I keep promising (and bribing myself to get through school) that when I get my first job we are doing it up right at a resort hotel and eating at the Blue Bayou... perhaps a Disney Cruise and a trip to Orlando too. (Sorry just trying to talk myself into making it through these last few pages of my final paper. :rolleyes: )
I love a good deal too and I don't think we will ever stay in a resort hotel. I would love to stay at the GCH and have even thought about it for our trip next fall but when I think of all the other things I could spend that extra money on (like eating at the Blue Bayou), I just can't do it. The money we save by staying off-site ususally goes towards a night or two at Laguna Beach. :D

Done hijacking for the moment. ;)

orangechicken
12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Oops, sorry, I'm from northwest WA, so it's going to be about a 16 hour car trip. These ideas are fantastic! Especially the 2-room suite, I'll definitely look into that!

Thanks so much for all the ideas, any more tips would be appreciated!