PDA

View Full Version : What happened to us at the Haunted Mansion

Kimi_Coconuts
05-23-2002, 10:55 PM
We have small children and when we got off the elevator were prepared to ride in two groups of three. There was no one on the walkway to the ride so we quickly advanced to load. The ride operator made us hurry to an open car about 5 cars from the one when you first step onto the moving sidewalk. The problem was the second part of my party my 9 year old got confused and was asked to get off and load further ahead while my Mom with my 3 year old was trying to keep up, she had to RUN to the end of the walkway to load. I was freaked out and standing up in my car to make sure they made it without getting hurt and got yelled at for standing up. I yelled back they were makiong people RUN to get on the ride, HELLO???

We were highly upset and complained at the entrance afterward, don't know if anything came of it, I really felt it was dangerous to make people run, let alone with little kids. They gave us a blue pass card to enter a ride at the exit. We were treated kindly by the person we complained to and we appreciated that.

blusilva
05-23-2002, 11:06 PM
I've had that happen to me as well. And in our hustle to get in the car up at the start of the ramp, I knocked my glasses clear off my face and out into the attraction. It was over an hour wait and much pleading to get them to send someone back down there to get my glasses, despite the fact that I knew EXACTLY where they had landed. Pain in the butt.

I don't know why they just wouldn't let us board in a normal manner instead of making us run to catch up with a vehicle that was about to enter the "staircase".

awinner
05-23-2002, 11:33 PM
well...me and some other mousepadders got stuck in the elevator...the room stretched and shrunk a couple of times...kinda neat kinda scary!

MonorailMan
05-24-2002, 03:19 AM
I've never had this problem, I've always been able to load at the first buggy.
(9)

Lacrosse Boy
05-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Why is it that people always seem to have trouble with that "Grocery Aisle" mover thing? I have never had trouble, and I love walking on ones at Airports! They are so fun! (Especially running on one that is going the opposite direction as you!):cool:

HBTiggerFan
05-24-2002, 09:37 AM
That is not cool. ITs very dangerous. The ride is such high capacity that it shouldn't of mattered if a few cars went through empty :confused:

mousey_girl
05-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
Why is it that people always seem to have trouble with that "Grocery Aisle" mover thing? I have never had trouble, and I love walking on ones at Airports! They are so fun! (Especially running on one that is going the opposite direction as you!):cool:

LB, have you ever been trying to get a toddler loaded and then have to seat yourself?

To a toddler, in the developmental stages of balance this "Grocery Aisle mover thing" is very disorienting.

cstephens
05-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy

It's nice that you're able to play on them. Please keep in mind that not everyone is as fortunate. People with canes and walking disabilities can find even something as seemingly tame as Mansion difficult to negotiate. There are times when I'm having difficulties walking that make trying to keep up with the moving sidewalk and getting into a doom buggy a fairly difficult task.

MagicBeliever
05-24-2002, 05:50 PM
This seems like a simple case of inexperienced judgment -- the cm's are probably told to maximize the loads of the buggies, and not to let any empty ones go through. But in some cases, one or two will have to be skipped to allow for slower entry. I thought that was why the ride frequently stops?

blusilva
05-25-2002, 02:20 AM
I love the moving ramps. I think they're terrific.

I just don't like running to catch up with a Doombuggy. Trying to catch a moving Doombuggy at the end of the loading ramp before one of your party gets squooshed by the "staircase" can lead to tragic eyewear accidents. :)

BTW, I was on HM twice tonight and noticed that both times there was someone at the beginning of the staircase manually lowering the safety bar. Is that a new procedure, or was our Ghosthost off-duty tonight?

Uncle Dick
05-25-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
Is that a new procedure, or was our Ghosthost off-duty tonight?
The Ghost Host seems to be somewhat unreliable when it comes to lowering the safety bar. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. As far as I know, the lap bar checker has been there for a while now, diligently watching over the unwitting guests of the Haunted Mansion… except for that one time that he was distracted and zapppop and I rode through without the bar down.

Phineas85
05-25-2002, 03:23 AM
The mechanism that lowers the bar has reportedly been faulty for a while.

What usually happens though is your ascent up the staircase will cause the bar to fall down via gravity.

BTW - the Ghost Host is no longer there for the safety bar section - they have put in new dialogue by someone else.

It sucks! I can think of at least 3 ways they could have done a new spiel without removing too much of the original, why couldn't WDI?

SoCalDisneyLover
05-26-2002, 12:11 AM
I was on it today and had no problem from what I recall. If they are having such difficulty with the lap bar lowering, why won't they fix it? Money issues again? That has been a feature on this ride for a long, long time, hasn't it?

Nigel2
05-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Yeah but it has been iffy for a long time (I have had the no lab bar a few times as well, it does feel wierd). Odds are it's a mechanism that breaks eaisly so it may not be that they are cheap but it may be that they can only do it when they have time.

Disney Nick
05-26-2002, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure about recently, but the times I've been to Disneyland over the last few years I've noticed that the lap bar wasn't going down and finally realized why. I have long legs and I like to stretch them out a little. My foot was at the base of where the hinge for the lap bar is and it wouldn't go down because of my foot blocking it. Not sure if this is the reason for other people, but I made a conscious effort to move my foot and it hasn't been a problem since...

Nigel2
05-26-2002, 12:28 AM
Oh speaking of the HM, anyone notice it has 2 less ghosts in it? One from the seance room and the other one from the end of the grave yard (or they may be back but they were just off recently)

Phineas85
05-26-2002, 04:01 AM
They are probably in rehab. Nearly every figure vansihes from time to time for a service.

For instance, just before HMH there were only 2 hitchhikers. The tall thin one was in rehab (probably having that new hairdo he's got) and the fat one was there prior to him I've heard.

The raven at the graveyard has reportedly been missing recently too.

blusilva
05-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Yes, the graveyard raven (or ravens? I always thought there were two) are gone. I really miss them!

This was the first time I was through the HM after the HMH and *with* my glasses. I noticed a whole lot that was different. Is there a thread on the changes made to the HM after it came back? I may have missed it.

Nigel2
05-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Yeah, but I think the two I am talking about have been gone the whole time. Well they may be there but their lights are off so they may be there but they are too dark to see.:)

Flynn
05-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Actually, they have changed a few things. The bride's face, for example, is noticably different and much improved in my opinion. We also noticed the raven missing when down for our last trip, but the other improvements made up for it.

Hyperboy
05-28-2002, 04:46 PM
If the CMs ever asked me to run onto a Doombuggy, I would just ignore them and go to the closest one.

I think it's a question of safety, especially if you have small children. It's also a matter of CMs not being trained properly (either safety wise or guest relations wise). As someone said before, HM is a high capacity attraction and sending a few cars ahead doesn't make any difference.

Plus you won't be able to relax and see those pretty greenish spooky lights in the foyer! ;-)