PDA

View Full Version : Getting from LAX to Disneyland Questions

ADMDBR
12-07-2006, 11:47 AM
There is precious little information in the official and unofficial Disneyland guides as to getting from LAX to a motel next to Disneyland. My family and I (three adults and two children) will be going to DL for a week next May. What are my options and costs for five people? Is a taxi better for five than a Supper Shuttle or bus? We are not going to rent a car. Thanks. I greatly appreciate all help.

mommy-san
12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
We just caught the SuperShuttle- they are plentiful during the daylight hours and way faster than the disneyland resort bus. Getting all your luggage in a cab trunk may be tough. The best advice we got? Call the hotel and ask them who they use- if they arrange it it could be cheaper.

Bytebear
12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
If you can get a flight to Santa Ana or Long Beach airports, I would do that. It is much easier and closer. Otherwise, I think Super Shuttle is a good bet. They do have van taxis, but I don't know if their rates are different than the sedans.

jdromeo21
12-07-2006, 02:12 PM
you know...honestly...it may be cheaper to shop around for a weekly rental rate on a rental car. If you take the Super Shuttle...from LAX to Disneyland (Anaheim) is about $30-40 for the first person and additional $20 per person...each way... Taxi's...way higher...don't even bother

If you can find a good weekly rate of a car that may get you to and from cheaper then the Shuttle's

I Heart Disneyland!
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
My son took a Super Shuttle from LAX to our hotel in Anaheim, and it cost only $15.00. The shuttle driver told him that to certain hotels the fee is smaller. I'd call the shuttle company to find out, but, he got there FAST. I had pre-paid his shuttle of $40, but, the driver told him that I had a $25.00 refund coming because it was a certain hotel. ??? It's worth asking, because I did get my refund. :)

Wendi
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
you know...honestly...it may be cheaper to shop around for a weekly rental rate on a rental car. If you take the Super Shuttle...from LAX to Disneyland (Anaheim) is about $30-40 for the first person and additional $20 per person...each way... Taxi's...way higher...don't even bother

If you can find a good weekly rate of a car that may get you to and from cheaper then the Shuttle's

Super Shuttle from LAX to Anaheim is $15/pp. Depending on how many days you are staying it might be cheaper to rent a car, but probably not cheaper to take a cab.

T&Rshep
12-07-2006, 10:52 PM
The airport bus is another option. It's about $15 per person and drops you off right at your hotel. It's the big coach bus the says "Disneyland" on the side and has all the characters on it. It picks up at the same place super shuttle does.

Stupid_American
12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
3 adults and 2 kids will run $75 on a shared van.
As of September, Super Shuttle / Primetime vans were still $15 per person.
This has been the set Disneyland area hotel price for years.

mommy-san
12-08-2006, 06:55 AM
When we took the Disneyland bus, it added about 1/2 an hour to our trip. We were the last stop to drop off, and the first to pick-up on the way back to LAX. We also had to change busses and move luggage on the trip back to LAX. Our kids are small and HATED the fact they couldn't see out the windows because the bus had decals on the windows. I was also very uncomfortable with the luggage situation. The bus was quite full and our suitcases kept getting moved out of the compartment to get to other peoples stuff. I was a bit nervous that someone would take ours by mistake. LOVEd the supershuttle. FAST, and only one other passenger. And a big plus was being able to put the toddlers carseat in correctly. You can't do that on the big busses- no seat belts. After 6 hours on a plane that is not a good situation!

Darkbeer
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
My preference in order...

1. Rent A Car, you can find great prices at Hotwire.com or Priceline. You have the option to go shopping, eat at a restaurant that is not right by the park, a chance to see other sites, such as driving to Hollywood, the Beach, Knott's and Universal, or even head south to San Diego. You can rent Car Seats from the Rental Car Company.

2. The Disneyland Express Airport Bus. Well run, clean buses, and the best price. You can find a discount coupon here, along with prices and schedule. No need for car seats

www.airportbus.com

3. The Shuttle Vans. It seems like I always get the driver that will drive around the airport multiple times to fill up the van, to the point you are squezzed into a bench seat with 2 or 3 other folks. (The Bus has Airline style seats, with an armrest). And of course, the Van has multiple groups that all want to go to different areas, usually with someone headed home, so you get the scenic route driving thru neighborhoods. Tends to be a few dollars more per person than the Disneyland Express Bus. No child seat needed.

4. Taxi, from LAX the base rate is about $85, but that is with NO traffic. The average fare is around $100 (The meter does have a time setting if you are not moving). No need for Child safety seats.

By the way, this is my list from LAX.

If you fly into John Wayne/Orange Countty/SNA or Long Beach.

It is Rent a Car, followed by a Taxi. At around $35 plus tip one way, it tends to be the same price or cheaper than the bus for a family.

acpalmer
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
4. Taxi, from LAX the base rate is about $85, but that is with NO traffic. The average fare is around $100 (The meter does have a time setting if you are not moving). No need for Child safety seats.

Can you give me some more details on this--why are child safety seats not needed on a taxi? Don't the kids have to be in a carseat per CA law? Or do some taxis have them already (and how does one locate a taxi with carseats)? I would probably still bring mine just because I don't know how comfortable I would be having my kids in a car with no carseat, even though John Wayne (where we fly to) is so close to the hotels, but I'm definitely curious as to the why!!

Thanks!

Darkbeer
12-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Here is a link to the summary of California laws regarding car seats...

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/6_sum_CA_Law.pdf

Basically a Taxi falls under the public transport clause, and is exempt, the same as Shuttle Vans and buses.

mommy-san
12-08-2006, 09:46 AM
I would never feel comfortable with no car seat. But then again my kid may be inordinately busy for 2. We fly into terminal 2 which may help with the Supershuttle situation- plus there is 4 of us, so not alot of room for others.

splash
12-08-2006, 09:58 AM
We are flying into LAX on the 13th. There are three of us and we are renting a car. I think the shuttle was going to be around $100 for round trip and the car was $150. This works out great because we are planning to go to Universal one day and also in and out burger, disney outlet, etc.... Plus, we control when we leave and where we go. Our experience with an airport bus was horrible - we waited an hour for the bus to get to the airport and then rode for another hour (ours was one of the last hotels). So I think your choices are shuttle or rent a car.

acpalmer
12-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Here is a link to the summary of California laws regarding car seats...

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/6_sum_CA_Law.pdf

Basically a Taxi falls under the public transport clause, and is exempt, the same as Shuttle Vans and buses.

Thanks for the info. I can't find anywhere in that link any exceptions to the carseat law for public transport, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the actual law. It is a major pain to haul the carseat and booster through the airport for a total of 25 minutes in the car to and from the hotel, but I think we will probably do it anyway. I know I would never forgive myself if anything happened and we are on an LA freeway, after all.

Thanks for the clarification, though!!