PDA

View Full Version : Should J.K. Rowling and Disney team up to make a Harry Potter ride?

Pages : [1] 2

Dory
12-07-2006, 11:20 AM
What if Disney teamed up with J.K. Rowling the way they did with George Lucas to make a Harry Potter themed ride at Disneyland?

I'm sure that would raise attendance by at least a couple million per year.

Harry Potter although a little dark in nature still seems to fit into the Disney image. Mind you the last couple Star Wars films weren't exactly children films and they already have a Star Wars ride in the park.

mulansgirl
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I always thought it would be cool to have a whole theme park for Harry Potter but it always turned out to be a bit more like a traveling rennasance pleasure faire than a theme park. Diagon alley would be so cool, I can just imagin the great robes and cool quill pins and parchment, the book shop would have to rock and they already can make moving pictures, there is so much that could be "magic" . And the candy store yummy. Harry Potter is so big I think it would not do well in Disneyland, plus I think DL should start making more origonal rides not based on movies. But I would take any HP love I can get, I mean I bought the third movie.

Bolivar
12-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I think Rowling fancies herself being a bit counterculture and Disney is viewed as being mainstream. I don't think Rowling would want the association.

I Heart Disneyland!
12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
No

Bytebear
12-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I think Snow White was just as dark as Harry Potter. Remember the "scary" had to be put into the Snow White Adventure ride later because kids were too scared of it.

If they were smart, Warner Bros. would open their own park based on its movies. Harry Potter, Batman, Nightmare Before X-mas (once Disney loses the rights).

Gone2Disneyland
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I think Rowling fancies herself being a bit counterculture and Disney is viewed as being mainstream. I don't think Rowling would want the association.
I agree. Back before the first flick was released, a company I once worked for was all set to pitch Harry Potter kid's meal toy concepts to Burger King, who believed was getting the license to promote the Sorcerer's Stone movie. I bought the first book on CD to listen to on my hour-long commutes to quickly study up on it; it's actually how I became an HP fan. Well, after a few weeks, we learned Warner Bros informed BK that JK herself kabashed the idea of HP kid's meal toys. The presentation never happened, and I was bummed. (Fortunately, a few years later, I finally got to design a couple of toys through another company for the third flick, to go on decorated Harry Potter cakes.)

futurecm21
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, most of you are aware I really don't like drastic changes, especially concerning attractions in Disneyland. This could in fact be great if played out correctly, but there is so much potential for error here that I am worried. What will have to go to make room for this attraction? I myself would like to see Disney move away from only basing rides off of movies, it just doesn't work, if you do it every single time. Sometimes its best to leave it up to the guests imagination like it used to be with the Haunted Mansion before they ruined it with the movie. Something in my mind just screams NO WAY!!!!! to this idea, but then again maybey its just me.
futurecm21

dznyphreak
12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
No way.

HP is in no way Disney and should not even get its own park. Leave it to the imagination. Yes, it would be cool to walk down Diagon Alley, USA toward Hogwarts Castle. Head through the castle to Hermione's Scary Adventures and Prof. Dumbledore's Wild Ride, bypassing the long lines at Ron Weasley's Flight and heading toward Buckbeak the Flying Hippogriff. Head back to Muggletown and marvel at the simplicity and odd architecture of the area, noting the strange inhabitants. Stroll into Hogsmeade Square and ride a doom buggy through the Shrieking Shack, followed by a bumpy ride on Ron, Harry, and the Temple of the Forbidden Forest.

No fun at all. ;)

rentayenta
12-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I vote no.

tod
12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
No.

--t

Sosai X
12-08-2006, 02:52 AM
I don't think harry potter belongs at Disneyland. He's from a totally different universe. Maybe a good start for the park Garden Grove wants to build.

junglemom
12-08-2006, 03:13 AM
I am with everyone else and say no. It would need to be an entire "Land" to do it justice, but it just isn't Disney. I wouldn't feel the same walking away from it as I do walking away from almost everything else in DL. I do think it would be a great stand alone park, or a part of another park.

backsthepack
12-08-2006, 04:32 AM
While I love HP, I don't see the connection with Disney working. I vote no as well.

Ohthatjeff
12-08-2006, 06:38 AM
I agree it would have to be its own park. But won't at least a couple of people miss DCA?

hbquikcomjamesl
12-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Rather remarkably, I still have not read a single HP book, nor seen a single HP movie. I do know, from the fact that John Williams has been bringing music from the HP movies to his annual Hollywood Bowl appearances, that the scores are top-notch, but that's about the most contact I've had.

I do know that there are a number of Fundamentalist groups that would object if HP came to DL.

For that matter, Disney could have done wonderful things with the works of Tolkien, but it is a matter of record that J. R. R. Tolkien despised everything Walt Disney did, and nearly everything he stood for, and certainly never would have approved of it. (I suspect he would have also found the Rankin-Bass animated adaptations far too sanitized and Disney-esque, and the Ralph Bakshi version too brutal. And I still haven't seen the recent live action film adaptation of LotR, and might get around to it about the same time I get around to HP.)

ftroop6
12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
No!!!

DisneylandForever
12-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Nope.

crrees
12-08-2006, 09:59 AM
I dont think its the best idea ive heard, although i have a few of my own, this one is better then some of mine

Enter The Mouse
12-08-2006, 11:47 AM
It won't happen.

I know Harry Potter and DL are two completly different universes, but wasn't Indiana Jones as well? That turned out well.

I could see a Harry Potter ride being cool, if it was done right.

DangerMouse
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
No.

newhdplayer
12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
No

futurecm21
12-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Maybe a good start for the park Garden Grove wants to build.

I think if the Garden Grove park is going to be centered around Harry Potter, Disney should beat them to it, and have at least one ride or attraction centered around Harry Potter.
futurecm21

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I can see it now, some kid pulls the sword out the stone and Voldemort rises out of nowhere to cut off someone's hand with it. Or Mr. Toad goes berserk driving a bewitched flying Ford Anglia.

On a practical note, it will be a very cold day in a very hot place when Warner's lets THAT franchise go.

-TLMt

wingsong
12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Nope

ralfrick
12-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Geez, when this comes up at wdwmagic (on average about every 5 weeks), people start completely flipping out. Keyboards often short out from the droolings of people frothing at the mouth. No one here's even mentioned the WB park in Australia. No one's brought up rumours that a deal has already been made/in negotiation/being reworked, etc. No one's attacking that person for even validating those rumours by bringing it up in the first place.

:~DYou people aren't even trying:~D

A bientot.