PDA

View Full Version : How scary is Haunted Mansion?

Pages : [1] 2 3

DisneyPrincessCat
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I know alot of you are going to howl with laughter or gasp at the question, but even a long time Disneyphile like myself has some things that I will not or have not gone on. I do not like roller coasters or anything that spins real fast or hangs you upside down so I avoid any of the rides that make me physically ill, but here's a new one for you. I have NEVER been on the Haunted Mansion attraction!!!!:eek: :eek: I am afraid of scary movies, ghosts and those haunted house kinds of things, they give me the creeps. My hubby always chuckles when we go to Disneyland because he will ride Haunted Mansion himself and I wait outside. Just how "scary" is it? :confused: Or is it scary at all? We have tix for the Christmas parade and tour and HM and iaswh is on that tour. I am wondering if I should just wait outside as usual or go on it this time. I have always WANTED to go on, just that fear of ghosts and witches and goblins and creepy monsters has always kept me off the ride. I am NOT kidding here. Hubby says it is NOT scary, it is really cool, but so far no go. Should I go on, or will it give me nightmares? That is what I am afraid of, that ghosts will be in my dreams and I will have nightmares. :(
Have a magical day!
susi-Q

futurecm21
12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Do not worry. Unless you have children under age five the Haunted Mansion is an attraction not to be missed. There is no blood or gore, and you are a fair distance from most of the scenes, for example being above the ballroom. Be sure to get a doombuggie with your spouse or someone else yout trust, so that you can squeaze the heck out of their hand if you do actually get scared. However if your not visiting the Phantom Manor in Disneyland Paris (here all bets are off) you should be safe. In my opinion the fright factor is toned down during the holiday overlay so if you are still worried I'd visit at that time. But if you listen to the song it mentions the house is inhabited by silly spooks, who pretend to terrorize. The Haunted Mansion isn't meant to give you nightmares, but play it safe and visit while it is still light outside, so you can exit into the daylight.
futurecm21

MammaSilva
12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
This is coming from someone who watches NO scary movies, I mean NONE....I've seen the movie based on the attraction but it's not the least bit frightening.

Having said that...

The HM is not 'scary' in the tradtional spooky haunted house way. Nothing jumps into your ride vehicle, the scenes are very well done and there are spirits in most scenes but no blood and gore to frighten you. I would say that if you rode with your spouse you'd find that you would actually enjoy the attraction very much. Especially right now with the Nightmare overlay...it's less scary than the original. Have a great trip.

jeffthechef
12-05-2006, 03:10 PM
It's not really scary at all. There is a sense of fun and even humor in HM. Walt wanted it that way. By all means, try it!

For more info, try this link for diehard fans:

Http://www.doombuggies.com

emmah
12-05-2006, 03:26 PM
oh you MUST go on it! it's not scary at all, it's hilariously funny!!! (and this is from me, who hides at the cinema from any yucky bits and never goes to scary movies on purpose). I went on it on my first trip when I was ten, with my mum and my aunt, and at the end, when the cool thing happens with the mirror, I was so thrilled and full of wonder - I really thought there WERE friendly ghosts in the HM. It remains one of my favorite rides - although I have to say that I am not a fan of the christmas overlay and much prefer the original.:D

CardQB
12-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I remember the Haunted Mansion from when I was little. I always found it fun as well. The ghosts in the mirror where the best part. I don't recall it being scary at all.

I have visited the past several years during the Christmas season and was disappointed after seeing it with the Nightmare Before Christmas decorations. It could be because in the mirror I only saw a giant question mark and no ghost or anything my first time. I also didn't like the ballroom dancing scene, with ghosts dancing in the middle of the tree.. looked more like a mistake, but is still that way.

Hopefully we'll be able to go to the park during the regular Haunted Mansion display and I can see it as it should be seen.

splash
12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I would have to agree with others who have said it is not scary. However, I don't know about your personal feelings. The one thing to be aware of is that there are ghosts who sometimes pop up from behind things or from inside things. This can be startling but usually you hear a poof of air - sometimes you can see them doing this before your doom buggy arrives, so you can prepare yourself. I think that you should try it. The first time my son rode it he was 5 and he did not get scared. That being said, you will always wonder what you missed if you did not ride. (that is the reason that we will be riding california screaming in DCA this time). Sometimes you just have to do it!

phillyorig
12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
It isn't scary at all.

One time that it was scary was back on Halloween, 1995. We did the trick or treet and they had CM's in the one section where you go backwards with the doors, yelling boo around your doomBuggy. I heard them,and I said,"young kids here" and they just went boo lol.

We always love to go on that ride!!

disneyperson
12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
It is not very scary,but it's scarier than it used to be. I know of a couple of folk that are creeped out by the new bride. There are quite a few videos of her online so you can always check it out first.

There's no blood but if you're really easily creeped out,you may want to avoid looking up in the stretching room when the host says, "There's always my way."
The hanged man is slightly ooky.

I hope you give it a try. The Haunted Mansion is the DL ride closest to my heart.

Happy Haunting!

julbright
12-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Try it! I think the only "scary" part is in the beginning in the elevator when the lights go out... the rest is just really interesting and intelligent theming and design. As an adult, you can clearly tell that it is all fake and you will be intrigued by the imagineers details. It really is a fun experience.... clever witty and impressively designed!

bassett1976
12-05-2006, 04:50 PM
It isn't scary at all.

One time that it was scary was back on Halloween, 1995. We did the trick or treet and they had CM's in the one section where you go backwards with the doors, yelling boo around your doomBuggy. I heard them,and I said,"young kids here" and they just went boo lol.

We always love to go on that ride!!

I remember the Knight many, many years ago. That was a bit scary when a Knight turns into your doom buggy and tries to get you. I have heard that they have been retired since the visitors were beating up the Knights.

The ride starts out really "dark" and then goes into the silly in the graveyard. Its a lot of fun. If you get too scared your husband could always distract you. ;)

TikiGeek
12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I once soiled myself :( ...When all of the teenage girls shrieked at once in the elevator. Why do they do that. :confused:

Leap for Joy
12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't watch scary movies or visit Halloween haunted houses and I love Haunted Mansion. I definitely think you should try it!

If you've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas, you should watch it beforehand. It'll help to know the characters.

Park Freak
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I think that you should try it. The ghosts that pop up are not coming at you, they are a little ways away. I don't go in haunted houses on Halloween because I don't like it when they come toward you. I also suggest that you go on utube and watch a recording of it. Then you will know more of what to expect. I didn't go on Tower of Terror for a long time because I was afraid to, then I finally went on it and now it's one of my FAVORITE rides!! I'm glad that my sis talked me into it:D
As an old commercial used to say "Tryit....You'll like it"

Malcon10t
12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
It is not very scary,but it's scarier than it used to be. I know of a couple of folk that are creeped out by the new bride. There are quite a few videos of her online so you can always check it out first.

There's no blood but if you're really easily creeped out,you may want to avoid looking up in the stretching room when the host says, "There's always my way."
The hanged man is slightly ooky.

I hope you give it a try. The Haunted Mansion is the DL ride closest to my heart.

Happy Haunting!She is going during Christmas, so LOOK UP!! The hanging guy isn't there, and Jack Skellington is great! The Nightmare Before Christmas overlay is great. I love both versions of the HM.

kimi911
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
This is probably the least scary ride at Disneyland, unless you're a smallish kid. It really is no big deal at all. I wish it was scary actually.

Pirate Princess
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
I can't even handle watching trailers on TV of scary movies. (I close my eyes and plug my ears.) Honestly, it is not scary at all!
When I first saw your post I was going to suggest, as many others have, to find a video... but I'll do you one more...
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=haunted+mansion+holiday&search=Search
Ignore the videos from 2001 (they are slightly different from the new HMH) and look at the 2006 ones.

I cannot stress enough.. this ride is not scary. HMH is super loud and very colorful which can give some people a bit of sensory-overload. When it's not Xmas time, the Mansion is very subdued and gives you a chance to take in the scenery a bit more.

kisroo
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I remember the Knight many, many years ago. That was a bit scary when a Knight turns into your doom buggy and tries to get you. I have heard that they have been retired since the visitors were beating up the Knights.

No more knight, thank goodness. That used to scare my cousin and I like nobody's business!!

I agree with the suggestion of looking ahead to see what ghosties will pop up. I still do that the first time I ride just to remind myself of where they are. ;) I'm a big baby when it comes to things popping out at me. Once I "know" where they are, I'm fine. I'm sure you will be as well. :)

The Nightmare layover is a great time to go. So much less scary in my opinion. Have a great time!!

~kisroo:)

bassett1976
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I would like to also add that Snow White's SCARY adventures are a lot spookier than the HM. That ride gives me the willies...

Barbossa
12-05-2006, 07:42 PM
I've never been scared on HM, even when I was a kid. I like to think that was the intent by Disney - create a ride with a haunted theme that wouldn't scare the bejesus out of you.

potzbie
12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I am afraid of scary movies, ghosts and those haunted house kinds of things, they give me the creeps. [...] I have always WANTED to go on, just that fear of ghosts and witches and goblins and creepy monsters has always kept me off the ride. [...] Should I go on, or will it give me nightmares? That is what I am afraid of, that ghosts will be in my dreams and I will have nightmares.

You better not go.

I am taking you at your word.
I believe that those above images ("... witches ... goblins ... creepy monsters ...") do upset you so much that you do get nightmares.
(Spoilers ahead)

Those scenes, those images, do appear in the H.M.; and if those scenes/images give you nightmares, then the Disneyland HAUNTED MANSION will give you nightmares.

MANY of the icons of haunted houses are used in the H.M.

If MOVIES scare you, even as you know they are images on a television screen, then the SAME IMAGE in a live situation will be quite frightening.

• If Eddie Murphy's Disney movie scared you, then the "real thing" in person will scare you more.
• If MIKE and SULLY gave you nightmares, then the HAUNTED MANSION is much, much worse that MONSTERS INC.

For example, if you cannot handle the scene of coffins with their lids being moved, as depicted in a theatrical movie, or depicted on a television screen, then you won't handle seeing the same image LIVE AND IN PERSON.

You will see:
• Door knockers knocking on their own.
• Black ravens with red eyes.
• A vast graveyard scene, with ghosts.
• Shadows suggesting a skeleton's hands.
• A suicide by hanging.
• A seance where (day glo) objects float in mid air.
• Inanimate objects (e.g., pianos, gravestones, candleabra) moving, rocking, as if being pushed from below/above.

You will hear:
• Organ music, some slow and ominous, some fast and frantic.
• Voices and narrations with that basso-sounding male voice trying to sound sinister.
• (Amplified) heart beats.
• Ticking clocks

On the other hand:
• No witches, no goblins, no mythological creatures.
• No classic monsters like the Mummy, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Alien.
• No "contemporary" murderers like FREDDIE or JASON or LEATHERFACE.
• No jumping out at you.
* No touching.
• No blood.
• No deadly weapons (knives, swords, hatchets, etc.) moving toward the guests.
• No giant monsters like Godzilla, King Kong, T. Rex, etc.

But instead:
• Lots of singing.
• Lots of music (organ).

In summary:

The suggestion of death is everywhere.
The suggestion of ghosts is everywhere.
If singing and music and the familiar voice of (narrator) Paul Frees, will NOT offset those images, then you are indeed at risk to not enjoy the mockery of classic re-creations intended by the Disney Imagineers.

Pirate Princess
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
While not scary.. but it can be startling... after you are in the "attic" your chair you are sitting in turns backwards and you are GENTLY taken down a slight slope backwards. It tends to freak people out just because they are not expecting it and are not sure how long the slope is or if it is going to have a rollercoaster quality. I promise it is a small slope and moves very slowly.. but it does come as a bit of a surprise since most of the ride is spent fairly horizontal.

ETA: Be sure to watch the Nightmare Before Christmas before going on the ride. It helps people to understand that Jack is well-intentioned and thought his "scary" Christmas would be enjoyed by children.

ErikBsandiego
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
First I agree with everybody that is noting the Holiday overlay. If you can watch nighmare before christmas (and that helps to explain the overlay A LOT) then no problems with the ride.

Regarding the regular HM. I think even the "things jumping out at you" have become less of an issue (as a kid I hated them) - at least in my youth I remember screams that accompanied many of the "pop goes the weasel" boxes. So very little menance (almost no hint of violence)

That said, the ride is GOTHIC. Lots of the images from the 19th century ghost story tradition (ghostly images, inanimate objects that move, etc.). Since ghosts are supposed to be the left over aspects of people after death we have LOTS of references to death - cemetaries, coffins, sceances, etc.

Here might be one test - do you get scared by all the skeletons in Pirates? If the early scences in Pirates bother you or give you the willies than you are warned that HM may bother you.

backsthepack
12-06-2006, 04:20 AM
It is a blast and so not scary. I do not, ever, ride scary rides. No roller coasters....ever. I won't even go through "haunted houses" during Halloween. This ride is not at all like anything you can imagine, but again, it is not scary. It is just fun.
We did have to take the "emergency" exit once. At the very start of the ride, before you enter your little buggy, my son, who was 3.5 at the time was going to have none of it. We asked a CM to help us get out of there, he took us out a back entrance. So remember, if you get scared prior to getting into your little buggy, you can get back out.

Katran
12-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Someone else mentioned finding a video of the ride online and also watching the movies associated with it. I second that. I've seen video of the holiday overlay, and I know there are videos of the regular HM. That's probably the best way to tell how scary it is for YOU.

You really can't base it off what anyone else says. My DH doesn't understand how I can ride Tower of Terror and love it but I can't ride the Maliboomer. Just the sight of it scares me. I have a fear of heights, but because TT is inside and I'm sitting down, it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I can convince myself that I'm not hanging over a huge drop. But something like the Maliboomer terrifies me just to look at it (and I mean TERRIFY, as in I feel it in my gut and my heart starts pounding). I don't even want my kids going on it. All I can think of is that if something goes wrong, there is nothing to break the fall. My husband just can't understand the difference between the two. According to him, "If you can handle TT, you can handle the Maliboomer." That might be true for some people, but not for me.

So don't take our word for it. Find a video of the ride (try YouTube) and try watching the movies and see how you handle those.