PDA

View Full Version : Need help for decorating son's bedroom to Tomorrowland theme

80S ERA
12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Hello all! Long time poster around here that went dormant for a few years. I've been busy raising a son who absolutely loves Disneyland! He's about to turn 3 years old in March and my wife and I are transitioning his room from a nursery to a kid's room.

Here's a summary of some of the ideas and elements we've thought of:
Theme: mid-80's Tomorrowland
Color scheme: Mostly white, with a blue horizontal stripe going across the middle of the wall. The stripe will have a black border to simulate the paint scheme on many of the Peoplemover cars and indoor ride elements.
Frames: "Rocket to the Moon" ride poster, "Peoplemover" ride poster, "Progress City" Poster, and "Preview of Attractions in 1967" poster.
Other props: Minature monorail mounted on a ledge near the ceiling (so he can't touch it :))
Area rug - Since I was unable to find an official Tomorrowland rug, we found a space-themed blue and white rug somewhere online.
Comforter - can't find anything sold by Disney as well. We don't want any Buzz Lightyear or anything more recent.
Wallpaper border - I've been thinking of replicating the Mary Blair tan/beige murals that she had surrounding the main walkway during the 80's. So far, it looks like a DIY job using a color printer and finding a suitable image.

I'm hoping to get some Mouseplanet decorating ideas and input on this project.:fez:

First off, I need help gathering some of the artwork and bedding I'm looking for. If you can point me in the right direction for a Mary Blair high resolution image, that would help. So far, the yesterland and other website photos aren't enough to make my homemade border. Any other comments would be appreciated!

Just in case you're wondering, I've already shared the spaceship bed idea with my wife and she hates it. Besides, it's thousands of dollars!

I'll try to post pics when it's done!

Bytebear
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
If you go to Ikea, they have wall lamps decorated like stars and moons. If you really want to get fancy, go to the Discovery store. They have glow in the dark stars, and they have a wall hanging of the moon that even does the phases of the moon. You can also get a planetarium starfield to shine all over the room (ala Space Mountain) - maybe he can learn some astronomy while you are at it. Get some cool space posters as well (galaxies and such).