PDA

View Full Version : Taking a first-timer. Any advice?

Rob9874
05-23-2002, 12:20 PM
My fiancee and I decided today to go to DL on Saturday. I know, it'll be crowded for the holiday weekend, but I really want to take her. She's never been, and I haven't been since July 4th 2000 (another high attendance day). Do you have any advice for what not to miss? Fantasmic is the only show I've seen. I'm SO disappointed it won't be there Saturday, but we want to go this weekend for the holiday, not in 2 weeks when it returns. Oh well, it'll give us a reason to come back.

We won't be taking any kids, so I'm open to any advice of what adults would enjoy. Oh, and she's not a roller coaster kind of gal, so no Space Mountain for us. :( Things I have planned are Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, and other main attractions. I just don't want to overlook something I might not have known to see/do. We're only going for 1 day. Thanks in advance.

cemeinke
05-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Remember that Mansion & Pirates are independant of the normal fast pass system, so if it's croweded grab a couple for each of those when you're getting your fast passes.

I know you said no kids, but if you get there early enough I'd try at least a few dark rides in Fantasyland. To me they're definately a not to miss attraction.

The Mark Twain is also a classic and gives you a nice overview of that side of the park. It's also rather romantic at night, so take advantage of that if it's running because once Fantasmic returns you won't have a chance to that for awhile.

I'd also consider getting reservations for the Blue Bayou for one of your meals there. Gets you out of the crowds and into a nice cool quiet environment. Probably should try to make reservations early on - I believe you may be able to call Disney's reservation line for this now before you go.

downingfamily1
05-23-2002, 01:02 PM
I really enjoy the Disney Gallery over Pirate's of the Carribean. It has the 100 Mickeys exhibit now and it is cool and quiet. The balcony is a great place to people watch.

Darkbeer
05-23-2002, 01:36 PM
First thing, the earlier you get there, the better...

With Splash supposely re-open (and with less capacity), one of the first things I would do is go get a Splash FastPass (and you can pick-up your HM and POTC FP's too, but I would get my Splash FP first, just in case they reconnected HM and POTC back to the main system.) (You can tell if the atttraction is connected by looking at the bottom of the FP, if it says when you can get your next FP, then that ride is connected to the main system, if it is blank, it is a stand-alone). You will probably then have two hours until you can get another FP, so go check out some sites that interest you, maybe Fantasyland, but I presume that place will be stroller central, if you are planning to stay till closing, the wait times are usually better the last hour with a late closing (kiddies are already home in bed).

When your FP window opens (as shown on your Splash FP, go get another FP BEFORE getting on the ride, maybe Indy, if you think your GF will ride it, otherwise Autopia). Also, before you ride either POTC or HM, get ANOTHER FP for the same ride), this leaves you an option to return later, if you enjoyed the first visit, and since they aren't part of the main system, you can do this all day. And don't forget the main rule of FP's, you CAN'T use them BEFORE the start time (they are very picky on this), but you can use them after the end time (on the same day).

If the park gets too crazy, you can always step out and go to Downtown Disney (Wetzel's Pretzels are YUMMY...) plus you can grab an adult beverage. If you are on a budget, you can also go East across Harbor and have a nice dinner for a lot less at one of the restaurants next to the hotels... Your GF would probably like Mimi's or Millie's...

And last but not least, I presume you will buy the 1 day SoCal passes for $35. Before leaving the park, you could upgrade to an AP....$64 more would get you a SoCal AP, which has many blackout dates, includng most of the summer (June 20th thru August 24th is completely blocked out ) as is EVERY Saturday.... Deluxe AP's would be $124 more, and has alot less blackout days (only 45 versus 160) including major holiday periods and most Saturdays. And the Premium would be $184, has NO Blackout days, comes with free parking, plus discounts throughout the resort. Also, all passes are now two-park, so you could use them on another day to check out DCA.

Have a great time....:cool:

Rob9874
05-23-2002, 03:32 PM
OK, so many questions about the past post.....

I've never ridden Splash. If she's not a coaster fan, would she be OK on this ride? I know she'll be OK with Indy, not too many G-force drops. I just wonder what Splash is like.

What's the difference between the main FP system, and stand alone?

Where's Downtown Disney, and what is it?

What's a SoCal pass for $35? I checked disneyland.com, and it says tickets are $45.

Matterhorn Fan
05-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Splash Mountain is calm with the exception of the drop at the end. It's outside and you'll be able to observe others as they go down it before you decide whether to ride or not.

This thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=5901) should explain the FastPass weirdness right now.

Uncle Dick
05-23-2002, 04:11 PM
[Edit: D'oh. Matterhorn Fan beat me to it.]

Originally posted by Rob9874
OK, so many questions about the past post.....

I've never ridden Splash. If she's not a coaster fan, would she be OK on this ride? I know she'll be OK with Indy, not too many G-force drops. I just wonder what Splash is like.
I don't know… The drop is pretty intense and "roller-coaster like", but it's also a whole lot of fun. She can see it pretty clearly from the walkway and decide whether or not she wants to try it out.

What's the difference between the main FP system, and stand alone?
RideMax Mark summarized it pretty nicely in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5901).

Where's Downtown Disney, and what is it?
Downtown Disney, an exciting shopping, dining and entertainment district, is located just west of main entrances to both parks, next to the Disneyland Resort Hotels. There are some nice restaurants and shops to browse through in there.

What's a SoCal pass for $35? I checked disneyland.com, and it says tickets are $45.
Darkbeer seemed to think that you were a Southern California resident. Since your profile indicates that you live in Arizona, it looks like you will be paying the $45.

Matterhorn Fan
05-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
[Edit: D'oh. Matterhorn Fan beat me to it.]Sorry. For what it's worth, you answered more questions than I. :)

Downtown Disney, an exciting shopping, dining and entertainment district, is located just west of main entrances to both parks, next to the Disneyland Resort Hotels. There are some nice restaurants and shops to browse through in there.(Did you C&P this from Disney's website or something?) "Exciting" is pushing it a little, in my opinion. It's nice, but if someone who's never been is going to be there for just one day, I would put this in the "OK to skip" category (unless dining is high on your list of priorities).

MonorailMan
05-23-2002, 04:22 PM

Downtown Disney, an exciting shopping, dining and entertainment district,

Ripped it straight off the tram speil. :D

But I guess if you hear it a million time, it sticks like glue.

Matterhorn Fan
05-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Ripped it straight off the tram speil. :DI should have known. :rolleyes:

Rob9874
05-23-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the info. I can't wait till Saturday! Looks like I'll be paying $45. Oh well, we gotta let you Californians get something for less. :)

Matterhorn Fan
05-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Rob9874
Thanks for all the info. I can't wait till Saturday! Looks like I'll be paying $45. Oh well, we gotta let you Californians get something for less. :) You might be able to find a discount. AAA? Disney Club? Are there other special offers right now besides the SoCal discount? Make a few phone calls--it can't hurt to ask.

Uncle Dick
05-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

Ripped it straight off the tram speil. :D

But I guess if you hear it a million time, it sticks like glue.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but next time you're at Disneyland Resort, you might want to check out the Grand Californian, luxurious resort hotel inspired by the famed "Arts and Crafts" movement in California.

MonorailMan
05-23-2002, 04:59 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about, but next time you're at Disneyland Resort, you might want to check out the Grand Californian, luxurious resort hotel inspired by the famed "Arts and Crafts" movement in California.

Yes, I'm sure you'll Invite me to use Disney's Fastpass, a guest service that saves my place in line at some of your most popular attractions. :D

Rob9874
05-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
You might be able to find a discount. AAA? Disney Club? Are there other special offers right now besides the SoCal discount? Make a few phone calls--it can't hurt to ask.

I have a Disney Club card, but they only offer discounts on multi-day passes. Us one-dayers get stuck paying $45.

Dreamstaker
05-23-2002, 06:48 PM

and driver, your all clear . . . toot . . . toot

oh, wait this is off topic. Um, first timers, no kids - You still need to walk through Mickey's and Minnie's house in Toon Town. Just go Early! :D

RideMax Mark
05-23-2002, 07:02 PM
One more thing you'll definitely want to check out is the Believe! fireworks show at 9:30PM on Saturday! I think some of the Fantasyland rides would be well worth your time as well (Peter Pan, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Alice in Wonderland).

Also, I know it sounds really early, but if there is any way you can make it to the park by 7:30 or so for the 8AM opening, I'd say go for it. If you wait until even 10AM you can literally spend twice as much time standing in line for the same set of attractions.

Have a great trip!

Iceman
05-28-2002, 07:41 PM
How much crap am I going to invite on myself (unnecessarily, since his trip is over) by suggesting visiting DCA rather than Disneyland? :eek: ;) :D

Uncle Dick
05-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
How much crap am I going to invite on myself (unnecessarily, since his trip is over) by suggesting visiting DCA rather than Disneyland? :eek: ;) :D
I agree! Imagine how disappointed she'd be if she visited Disneyland first. ;)

(To all who like DCA as much or more than Disneyland, I apologize for the previous remark.)