PDA

View Full Version : Why is Disneyland closing at 6:00 PM [on Dec. 4 and 5]?

DisneyLynn
12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know why DL is closing early 12/4 & 12/5 and CA is staying open late??? just curious.

Malcon10t
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know why DL is closing early 12/4 & 12/5 and CA is staying open late??? just curious.
Disneyland has Cast Member parties on those 2 nights.

DisneyLynn
12-03-2006, 09:59 PM
thank you!

chrisaustx
12-03-2006, 10:33 PM
In 2005 when disneyland closed at 6pm, they did the fireworks around 5:45pm or so, the traffic was gridlocked on I-5 and Ball Rd. with motorists watching the show. I am glad I won't be on I-5 again by Disneyland this coming week, a very bad memory from last year.

Bolivar
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
In 2005 traffic was gridlocked in the park. It took me about an hour and a half to walk from the partner statue, down Main Street to the park gates. It was a nightmare.

darph nader
12-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Oooh boy,my nephew leaves for D/L tomorrow. I'll bet he dosen't know this.:rolleyes:

Rteneyck
12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
We are going to be there tomorrow thru Sat. Would it be a safe bet to avoid Disneyland later in the afternoon and spend the rest at DCA? It's our first day, so we will probably be taking it pretty easy since we will be driving. I have never been there during the time that they have the castmember parties.

Bolivar
12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Last year the park closed at 6:00 and the fireworks ended at 6:00. As long as you were out of the park before the fireworks ended you were fine. On Monday we didn't do that and it was a nightmare. On Tuesday we left at 5:45 and we were fine.

But hopefully they learned their lesson and will plan better this year in which case you won't have to worry about it.

Actually it must have been later than 5:45 because I remember getting off of Pirates and seeing that the fireworks had started and turning to my son and saying, "Let's get out of here before those are over." And we had no problem getting out of the park.

Rteneyck
12-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks Bolivar. I don't think that we will be a problem then. Our first day is going to be pretty mellow. :)

wenidog
12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
We also were in Disneyland last year during the staff party time. We watched the fireworks in the hub and waited about an hour before even attempting to TRY to leave. It was the worst ped traffic I have ever experienced at Disneyland. CMs are arriving for the party, and guests were leaving at the same time. Even with the fire department to direct traffic it took a very long claustraphobic time to get to DTD. My kids were really scared because of all the pushy people. It really wouldn't have taken much to create a bad scene, like a panic-type riot to develop. We stopped and had dinner at La Brea just to avoid the crushing crowd to get back to the Grand Cal guest entrance. I felt sorry for parents with little kids and strollers.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Tomorrow is our first day of a 5 day trip to the park and I am debating about whether or not we will even try to see the fireworks. I think we may just hang out in the hotel, get to bed early etc.

GrumpyUTboi
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
we watch the fireworks in the area between DL and DCA, yea we can't hear the music, but the fireworks can be seen nicely there.

WITron
12-04-2006, 09:10 PM
We were there also last year and for us it was nice to have the fireworks early, since both of our girls are young and go to bed early. It gave them a chance to see them and not have to keep them up way past their bed time.

Bolivar
12-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Sure the fireworks ended at 6:00, but how did you get out of the park and back to your hotel at a decent hour?

Although if I seem to remember hearing that the the worst of it was on Monday and on Tuesday they opened the backstage exits to help clear the traffic faster and it was better. But I cleared out of there on Tuesday, so I don't know about that night.

julbright
12-05-2006, 04:34 PM
We were there in 2005 also - what a flippin' mess!!! We exited the park by going through CM passageways that were opened going behind main street buildings - there were so many people trying to get in when we were trying to get out and the tram plaza/Downtown Disney was just a logistical nightmare. not fun with two young kids - I didn't know this before we went - I am glad that some of you will benefit from the experience we had! :(

julbright
12-05-2006, 04:38 PM
We also were in Disneyland last year during the staff party time. We watched the fireworks in the hub and waited about an hour before even attempting to TRY to leave. It was the worst ped traffic I have ever experienced at Disneyland. CMs are arriving for the party, and guests were leaving at the same time. Even with the fire department to direct traffic it took a very long claustraphobic time to get to DTD. My kids were really scared because of all the pushy people. It really wouldn't have taken much to create a bad scene, like a panic-type riot to develop. We stopped and had dinner at La Brea just to avoid the crushing crowd to get back to the Grand Cal guest entrance. I felt sorry for parents with little kids and strollers.

the parents with strollers - that would have been us! What a MESS that whole thing was. They should have staggered the arrival of the cast member guests a little - ug....

I think we also stopped at La Brea that night to get out of the traffic! Although I think we sat outside with electric heaters?? Of course ours was broken so when a neighboring party left we took over their table. I don't have very fond memories of that experience and my kids were also a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. I was afraid of them getting trampled!!

Bolivar
12-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Which night was that? I ask because I don't think they opened the back areas on Tuesday.