PDA

View Full Version : Best way from John Wayne to DLR

vmjess
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
We are going to Disneyland two weeks from today- an especially special trip- our first time at Christmas and our first trip since relocating from California to Illinois 3 weeks ago!!

We have always driven to DLR bout now are flying in to John Wayne- does anyone have a good shuttle service they use, or should we just grab a taxi? There will be 4 of us- 2 adults abd 2 kids arriving on Sunday the 17th at noon.
We are staying at the Best Western PPI and want to get there as quickly and economically as possible.

Thanks in advance!!! I can't wait to be back in sunny California and at the Happiest Place on Earth- the midwest feels like the frozen tundra to me right about now!;)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-03-2006, 06:42 PM
We have always taken Super Shuttle and not had any problems. But Wendi just referred me to www.calilimo.com You might want to check it out, as it could save you money.
Darkbeer has said a cab is $35 but I think that is only up to 5 people. Maybe he will reply to correct, or agree with me.

sierranevada
12-04-2006, 10:46 AM
We also take a taxi and yes, it is flat rate of $35. Four people on Supershuttle would be $40 ($10/pp) so taxi would be cheapest and fastest. We are going the same day! Have fun!

aymieb
12-04-2006, 03:39 PM
We always take a taxi. It is faster than Super Shuttle and either the same price or cheaper. Have fun!

Leap for Joy
12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Run a search here for "John Wayne transportation" and you'll find oodles of threads and info.

Have a great trip!!

acpalmer
12-05-2006, 08:39 AM
We also take a taxi and yes, it is flat rate of $35. Four people on Supershuttle would be $40 ($10/pp) so taxi would be cheapest and fastest. We are going the same day! Have fun!

OK, so how does one get this "flat rate"? Not by just asking for it, I know from experience. Both our taxi driver on the way to the hotel (DLH) and the driver that took us back to SNA from the hotel said that there was no flat rate and that we had to go by the meter. So by saying we wanted the flat rate (at the airport), we were told no such thing existed. By asking for it (at the hotel), we were told no such thing existed. What did we do wrong? (Meter ended up being $38, so no biggie, just wondering since I keep seeing this flat rate mentioned.)

sierranevada
12-05-2006, 10:24 AM
OK, so how does one get this "flat rate"? Not by just asking for it, I know from experience. Both our taxi driver on the way to the hotel (DLH) and the driver that took us back to SNA from the hotel said that there was no flat rate and that we had to go by the meter. So by saying we wanted the flat rate (at the airport), we were told no such thing existed. By asking for it (at the hotel), we were told no such thing existed. What did we do wrong? (Meter ended up being $38, so no biggie, just wondering since I keep seeing this flat rate mentioned.)

Our last trip in August - it is a flat rate from the airport to the hotel but it is the meter rate from hotel to airport - not sure why, it had something to do with regulations. We had no problem with the taxi when we asked for the flat rate.

Maybe Darkbeer knows if this flat rate from SNA to DLR changed since August?

Darkbeer
12-05-2006, 11:34 AM
^Basically the Flat Rate works from the Airport (both John Wayne and Long Beach), as the airport can require it (you need to have a special Airport License to PICK up folks at the airport (any cab can drop off).

If a driver at the airport doesn't want to give you the flat rate, then go to ths dispatcher and let them know, the driver could lose his/her airport license, and NO driver wants to lose that. They will "remember" very quickly at the first signs of you trying to go to the dispatcher....

The current flat fare is $35 from SNA and $36 from LGB.

forecheck
12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
We just got back from a long weekend and used Priceline to get a great rate on a rental car, and it was cheaper then getting a taxi to and from the airport. We bid $12 a day (for 3 days) and got an Avis standard size car, with tax and paying for a few gallons of gas it came to about $50. We stayed at the Park Place Inn also, and they have free parking.

acpalmer
12-06-2006, 07:26 AM
^Basically the Flat Rate works from the Airport (both John Wayne and Long Beach), as the airport can require it (you need to have a special Airport License to PICK up folks at the airport (any cab can drop off).

If a driver at the airport doesn't want to give you the flat rate, then go to ths dispatcher and let them know, the driver could lose his/her airport license, and NO driver wants to lose that. They will "remember" very quickly at the first signs of you trying to go to the dispatcher....

The current flat fare is $35 from SNA and $36 from LGB.

Thanks, Darkbeer, we'll try this tactic when we go in March! It's interesting, because our cab driver at the airport told us that there was no flat rate because the airport requires that taxis use the meter rate. Hmmmmm.

Darkbeer
12-06-2006, 07:41 AM
I just went to the SNA web site...

http://www.ocair.com/groundtransport/taxis.htm

Flat rates to destinations may be provided upon request.

sierranevada
12-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Just got back and this time, the taxi dispatch said there was no such thing as a flat rate TO the hotel, only FROM the hotel. :mad: I argued with him briefly but he wasn't budging so we just got into the taxi. It was $39 meter rate to the DLH.