PDA

View Full Version : Last minute advice needed!

mousemom
12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my AZ directions thread. I was surprised by the huge response. Now it looks like I have at least 101 ways to get to Disneyland! You all are awesome!! Now that I can get there okay I'm working on my gameplan for Sunday. I don't want to stand in a lot of long lines on Sunday since we'll hopefully have short lines at times during Mon-Thursday. I thought we could try some of the shows and the rides the kids just "have" to do now. Maybe we should hide out in CA Adventure for a while to avoid the crowds? What do you suggest? Also, I really want to hit Fantasmic as my kids have never seen it. There are 2 performances and I think I'd better hit the first as my kids are only 6, 8 and 9. How early do I need to be over there and where is the best place to sit/stand? This is amazing...I'm now realizing that I'm really going to Disneyland....the merriest place on Earth! I hope some of you are still out there and can respond to this before I leave around 3 am on Sunday. Happy Holidays!

goffy #1
12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Your best bet for the Fantasmic show would be down on ROA right next to the river, but you will need to get down there at least 1 hr. before the show to get a good spot to see, just look for where they are sitting up folding chairs for the people who bought the package to sit there and watch the show with hot beverages and dessert. The only thing about sitting down by the water is you might get a little wet.

Pirate Princess
12-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Just went last Sunday and my best advice... get to the park BEFORE it opens on Sunday. Be at the gate with tickets in hand before they let people in.
NO ONE gets to the park at 8 am. People are lazy (which is great for me!) and usually don't stroll into the park until at least 10 am. Pick your rides with the longest lines and do them right away. Spend the rest of the day strolling onto rides with quick q's like Buzz, Pirates, Pooh, etc. and doing shows.
Since Sunday is your "craziest" day as far as crowds go (typically) do a lesiurley lunch that day at a sit-down resturaunt. You will have plenty of time to do everything you want to do (probably 5x's over) with all of the days you have at the park.
The "problem" I had last week is that I powered everything into the first day and by the third day I was asking my son, "Do you want to go on Buzz for the 11th time or Big Thunder Mountain RR for the 6th time?"
Relax and enjoy the sights... it's beautiful right now! HAVE FUN!!!!

ETA: I am serious about going on Buzz 11+ times and BTMRR 6+ times... also... Pirates 6+ times... HMH 3 times... Mullholland Madness 4 times (in a row)... and everything else in the park at least once or twice in 3 days! I'm still tired... and have a perma-grin!

Pirate Princess
12-01-2006, 10:28 PM
OH WAIT! I have something else to say!!! (Surprise surprise :p )

Last week we missed the Canoes on Sunday.. and they only ran on the weekend. I was kicking myself for the rest of the trip.. I have never been on those darn canoes!

Also, Aladdin only runs on certain days. Although we have seen it before, it is great and was sad that we missed it!

Those are some things you might want to take into consideration for day planning.

Bytebear
12-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I have done the canoes once. They don't power themselves. Enough said.

mousemom
12-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks! I'm so glad you mentioned the canoes...it's maybe not one of the highlights but when you are out there it's like you've escaped the bustle and can enjoy nature for a few minutes...and some hearty excercise if there aren't many men on board! It's usually closed when I think of it so that will definitely be on our list. Anyone else have some great ideas for me?

disney jones
12-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Just went last Sunday and my best advice... get to the park BEFORE it opens on Sunday. Be at the gate with tickets in hand before they let people in. NO ONE gets to the park at 8 am. People are lazy (which is great for me!) and usually don't stroll into the park until at least 10 am. Pick your rides with the longest lines and do them right away. in other words, do Peter Pan and Dumbo first.

i've done Fantasmic with younger kids than yours at the 1030 pm show - you can get a great seat by taking the RR from MS to NOS station right at 925 pm and heading to the ROA, front row - the question is: "will they stay up?" after a full day at DLR - maybe not and my didn't, but i woke them up and they saw a great show without a long wait.

the Canoes are always fun!!

we are usually there Thurs - Sat and will be there this week too :D - the ususal strategy is Disneyland Thursday, Friay morning early and Saturday morning early. then as Disneyland gets busy early afternoon we head to DCA - but as soon as it closes, we head back to Disenyland.

Leap for Joy
12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I agree with Disney Jones about doing the 2nd Fantasmic! if you can. If you're waiting near the NOS station/Haunted Mansion when the first F! ends, it's easy to move in after the fireworks to get a spot for the 2nd showing. If you take some blankets the kids could cuddle up and power nap for 30 minutes while you wait for the show.

Whichever showing you attend, I recommend you walk along the river during the day to eyeball a location. There is a flat platform on the South-ish side of Tom Sawyer's Island that is used as a stage. If you're square with that and near the water you'll have the best view.

mousemom
12-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I am so excited to get there! I just spent a half hour trying to find my sons shoes (which were out in the yard in the dark!) but now I'm ready to roll! Thanks for helping me get off to a great start!