PDA

View Full Version : Being a Disneyland fan has its price

Pages : [1] 2

just beatla33
11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I was recently talking with some friends about the odd people we see and the most stupid remarks we've over heard on our many trips. And until our last trip Friday I realaized that being a major DL fan comes with a price. The price is overhearing rediculous statements that just drive you nuts and you wish you could lay into them to correct it, but you know you can't since not everyone knows as much as my friends and I. For instance the line that did it for us to realize this price was Friday when got on the boat for POTC, and the people behind us was just a dad and two girls between 12-15. We sailed past the Blue Bayou and one of the daughters asked her father, what is that place and have you ever been there? And the dad said "oh I been there so many times, I don't know what its called, but rumor has it that below the restaurant theres a seceret club called Club 41" and when my fiance and I heard that we just wanted to turn around and slap the heck out of the guy.
So I'm sure many of you DL fans have overheard many things like this on yoru many trips and don't you wish you could just do something about it.
Another time I was waiting for the bathrooms by Adventure land and a big family I was overhearing was debating whether the Tiki Room was Indianana Jones or Jungle Cruise. I seen a woman ask a CM by a trash can say "is that a trash?" I heard a dad explain to his kids that Star Tours is here because it was Walt's favorite movie......I mean as much as it bothers us, we find we could not live without it. We can't wait to get in the park and pick up on stupid convo's, I mean some are funny, like once in line for the Mansion we heard a mother say "Don't worry, the ghost are fake, like Easter". So as much as I complain, I actually premote some of you to keep talking like you know an answer, when the simple phrase "I don't know" wont do it for you. Thank you.

Crazy4DL
11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
So as much as I complain, I actually premote some of you to keep talking like you know an answer, when the simple phrase "I don't know" wont do it for you. Thank you.

:confused: huh?

I can understand some of the misconceptions and/or stories people have about Disneyland might be a bit irritating to you but calling them stupid and wanting to slap them? :rolleyes:

Lighten up.

cabozone
11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Get into the spirit and add to their misinformation:

"Below club 41 is club 55 where senior citizens can rest away from all the strollers!!!"

cstephens
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
It doesn't bother me when people refer to the "Haunted House" or the "Jungle Book" ride. Referring to Fantasmic as "that water show" has made me stop for a second, but I don't expect that everyone will know the exact terminology for everything. Heck, I've had people be annoyed because I refer to Mansion and Pirates and Space rather than using the entire full name of each attraction. Whatever.

The only times I have even considered stepping into a conversation is if someone's misconception will actually affect their day, and even then, I have to think about whether or not I actually want to do it. Once not too long ago, the husband and I were at White Water, and the family next to us were discussing Millionaire. We debated whether or not to tell them Millionaire was gone. The dad and kids got up to get stuff, so since mom was just sitting there, I excused myself for butting in but told her I couldn't help overhearing their conversation and wanted to let her know Millionaire was gone. She thanked me for telling her since they were planning the next part of their day around seeing the show.

The only other times I have stepped into a conversation is when I hear a CM telling someone something totally wrong that will affect their day, like come back in an hour and maybe Mansion will be open when in fact Mansion is closed for another week for the Nightmare overlay.

If other people are having fun, I see no reason to correct their misinformation.

Janie
11-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I heard a dad explain to his kids that Star Tours is here because it was Walt's favorite movie......

once in line for the Mansion we heard a mother say "Don't worry, the ghost are fake, like Easter".

These are my favorites.

jenmclions
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
What the?!

You listen in on other peoples conversations, judge them and then you come on here complaining about what they say. Then in the next breath you say you can't live without it!

I'm afraid you're not making much sense, perhaps it is you who is making stupid comments?

Timmy13T
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm sure many of you have read both 'Mouse Tales' and 'More Mouse Tales' they both explain that when people enter Disneyland a blanket of stupidness just comes upon them and they dont even know what they are saying, doing or thinking. You have to the people a break, they dont understand disneyland as many of us Disney fans do. I fully agree that these people dont knwo what they're talking about and it does get annoying but remember Walt wanted Disneyland to be closed off to the rest of the world. He wanted the public to enjoy aplace where they can't think of anythign else but Disneyland and if you think about it he did, look and us and the people who say those stupid comments. Its hilaroius and i think we should post a thread of things you guys have heard un-disney fans say.

cookie7762
11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
I seen a woman ask a CM by a trash can say "is that a trash?"

This is my favorite part of that post because in the midst of calling others stupid, the phrase "I seen" is used. Now who's stupid?

bassett1976
11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
So I'm sure many of you DL fans have overheard many things like this on yoru many trips and don't you wish you could just do something about it.

Last week while my wife and I visited the park we took a ride on the DLRR. We overhead the mom of a family sitting behind us that kept saying that they wanted to get off of the train in Futureland and ride AutoTOpia. I wanted to shake her. :rolleyes:

disneyhound
11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
This is my favorite part of that post because in the midst of calling others stupid, the phrase "I seen" is used. Now who's stupid?

I had similar thoughts while reading the beginning of this thread... I assume that the poster is very young, not many experiences on life's journey yet. That would explain getting bothered by someones over-heard comments.

Leap for Joy
11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
The only times I have even considered stepping into a conversation is if someone's misconception will actually affect their day, and even then, I have to think about whether or not I actually want to do it.
Me too. Once on the train I overheard a family discussing whether they should ride around to Tomorrowland to do Autopia or whether they should watch Fantasmic! I couldn't stand it! They didn't have any small kids who would love Autopia, so I butted in and explained about Fantasmic! and even had them follow us off at the New Orleans stop to get seats for the 2nd showing of F! I like to think that I made their trip a little better.

coronado_g
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
It must be great to overhear conversations that are directed elsewhere. I wouldn't get mad if I heard others saying "stupid" things because, as a hearing-impaired person, I'd be thrilled and excited to have such super sonic hearing!

socaltexan02
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
When I overhear stuff like that I just chuckle - I find it amusing, entertaining, or endearing. The best was when a dad, in line for the teacups, saw some characters walk by and said to the kids "Look! It's the 3 little pigs. Well, 2 of them anyway." And the mom said "Uh, that's Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum." :)

In our family we say a lot of things incorrectly intentionally...like we call the Haunted Mansion the "Scary House" - only b/c that's what my now 4 year old called it as soon as she could talk! When you asked her what ride she wanted to ride she'd say "scary hooouuuuuse"...it was cute so the name stuck.

Phantom2006
11-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I remember once I was on GRR and this kid I would say he was about 13 was riding by him self. I was on it with my sister and my friend, and there was another family of 4. The 13 year old kid was telling the family that once one of the boats capsized and everybody died on it. He also said that many people died on California Screamin. I did not know if I should have butted in at told them that he was wrong or just leave it. I ended up telling the family that he did not know what he was talking about.

DisneyLynn
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
I usually just like to giggle to myself when I overhear people and their mistakes, I do occassionally butt in when it will effect their day too. One time I just had to correct the family about to get on the monorail to ride over to Calif. Adventure, just couldn't let them do it!

My family also has a lot of "incorrect" names for stuff, since my daughter has been coming since she was born we've made up some names along the way... Matterhorn is Monster ride because of the monster inside, Haunted Mansion is Ghost House, Big Thunder Railroad is Really Fast Choo Choo Train, Mulholland Madness is crazy car ride, the list goes on and on...it's fun when you have a kid making up names!

Opus1guy
11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I guess mistakes can go both ways. Reminds me of the famous story of the foreign Guest that asked a Cast Member where "the latrine" was...and was amazed when the Cast Member directed them up to The Train Station and told them how they would see the Grand Canyon and the dinosaurs from it.

To which the stunned gentleman responded: "In the bloody loo??!!"

:)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I don't let it bother me when I hear other people make mistakes about things, such as calling a ride by its wrong name, or saying something, usually trying to impress whoever they are with, when they haven't a clue what they are talking about.
My DH, for one, is not a fanatic at all. In fact, until we met in 1997, he had NEVER been to Disneyland and probably never would have gone, had I not saved him from a life without the magic of Disney. hehe I think he does pretty well with picking up things, but he has said things in the past that someone on this forum might consider "stupid."
When people don't know, I don't find it stupid. Not everyone has to be a fanatic. For some it is as foreign as me talking about how to repair a refrigerator.
I am always happy to help, if people seem like they are trying to find information and they are having trouble. I wouldn't butt in on the person who is talking about club underground, let them think they know what they are talking about.

disneyroxxx
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
while waiting in line for tower of terror, a couple was standing in front of me. the girl then asks me, "does this ride drop?"

i replied with a "yep."
"Is it in that room" she points to the library, while people are going in.

and i reply "yep."

the she clasps her man's arm, and slowly walks in. once she realizes she has to stand up, she's almost in tears! . it was mean,i felt bad, but it was really funny at the same time!

potzbie
11-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Beware of the guest who deliberately fibs for the purpose of playing with their friend's mind.

e.g., the person who said "Club 55 is below the restaurant" might be deliberately screwing up the numbers and the direction.

e.g., the person who said that a dozen people died on this ride might be trying to scare, provoke, intimidate, or out-bluff, his buddy.

e.g., the person who says there are real mermaids in the submarine lagoon might be someone who remembers the 1950s Disneyland and does not know that there have not been "real" (female CastMembers in costumes) "mermaids" for 50 years.

And especially beware the MousePlanet regular, who deliberately fibs to entertain himself/herself with how gullible the out-of-towners can be!
:mad:
Jon Lovitz, a comedian of Saturday Night Live, had a character who was a compulsive liar. The character would escalate each lie a little further.
e.g., The character might be trying to impress a girl with his rank in the army, and say, "Sure, I'm a lieu...-- cap...-- major, yeah, a major."
And, "When I get out of the army, I'm going to go back to coll...--the univ...--Broadway, yeah, Broadway."
:rolleyes:

chrisaustx
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Some of the funniest stuff I have heard over the past year:
Two young ladies were calling Remember Dreams Come True: "the firecracker show" I couldn't stop laughing when I heard them say that.

This old lady from England last year was trying to figure out how to book a room at the Hollywood Tower Hotel. I explained to her several times that it is a drop ride, but she still didn't get that she couldn't get a room there.

A few months ago some smug kid in line was telling his girl friend that Walt Disney had bought some World War I Submarines and put them in the sub lagoon. And I guess he read an Al Lutz article somewhere and was telling her that the old subs will be back in 2007. Being a World War I and World War II Historian, and having seen early subs from World War II, I told him no way would you ever want to be on a World War I submarine, they had no restrooms! Well I explained to him that Walt built the subs in Long Beach in the late 1950's and they never were in a World War.

Oh a few weeks ago, a family was sitting on Main Street, they wanted to know what time the Electrical Parade started, I had to break it to them that it ended in 1996 or so, but it will be coming to DCA this Christmas.

Last night I heard a lady explaining that the area near Big Thunder Mountain, where the collapsed tunnel is located at, is where all the horses and animals live at Disneyland. I should have yelled, hey I see a rat crawling out of that tunnel! The Rivers of America is on the other side of the tunnel, it used to be the old Nature Wonderland Rail Road ride tunnel, you can see the other side of it from the Mark Twain or Columbia.

Speaking of little Disneyland pals, the fountain at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante is frequently visited by the indigenous Disneyland rats. One night around 9:30pm, I caught a glimpse of some quirky Disneyland rodents drinking from the fountain. Every time I would walk by the Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante fountain this past summer, I would see a child putting their hands in the water or drinking from the fountain. I saw a grandmother and a kid next to the fountain, the grandmother told the kid to wash her hands in the fountain, rat droppings were visible at the base of the fountain. I told the grandmother the story of what I saw taking a drink from that fountain. Needless to say, to spare myself the anguish of the memory of that night, when I saw rodents drinking from that fountain, I don't walk that way anymore. But what parent tells their kid to wash their hands in a small fountain? Only at Disneyland I guess.

Lots of people call Fantasmic! Fantasia, I wanted to say once, no Fantasia is singing on the American Idol Tour and is not performing at Disneyland.

http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

jswtsang
11-28-2006, 05:44 AM
heh heh, I thought this was going to be a thread about where we secretly admit to buying 80 dollar tea cups b/c they look like one of your favorite rides or something :)

I have to admit, as big of a disneyland fan as I am, I still call the haunted mansion the haunted house. I'm not sure why :)

jt

mickeyxminnie
11-28-2006, 07:22 AM
i thought the thread was going to be about how disneyland fans fork out money to go there frequently...

ie.. me haha frequently for us is once every 2 years, and thats only cause it costs us thousands to go..

i got a new job in a company that after working there for 2 years i can put in for a transfer to move to america so i can actually get an AP and go allll the time..

Tinker Bell
11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
I am also one who if I hear something that will make some ones day bad I will butt in. Just the other day I spent only a few hours in the morn at the park. When I left got on the tram to Mickey and friends a Fam got on right after me and started talking. I heard on of the teens ask Where they were going Dad said he did not know. I told them the parking lot. Shocked they ask where that was. The teen closes to me showed me DL map and ask How to get to splash? I told them they have not even made it into the park yet. They needed to get off and go to the yellow tents turn left and there is DL. I hope they found it. What shocked me was the CM had come back to her post in middle of this and after they left she thanked me. Oh another tram story was when the CM refused to help a lady with her stroller. She was holding the baby who was sleeping and could not lift the stroller onto the tram. I got off and helped her lift it up onto the tram with a dirty look to the CM. He should not be there if he is not going to help people.

just beatla33
11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
I just remembered when getting off the trams from the parking structure and they let you off at the side of DTD, I rememeber a mother point the opposite way of DL and say she rememebers Pirates being down that way, so she took her whole family and walked against the crowd just cause she thought Pirates was outside and away from the crowds. Poor kids

TENORDRUMMER
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
When I was a cast member, I remember being asked by a guest "Where the Magic Mountain was"? and of course they were referring to the Matterhorn.