PDA

View Full Version : No, Virginia, There Is No Disneyland This Year

Pages : [1] 2

Monte Cristo
11-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Well, unfortunately for the first time in 4 years, my family will not be kicking off the holidays at Disneyland. Due to several different circumstances all converging at once, we just can't squeeze it in. This is heartbreaking. My first trip to DL was during the holiday season, and as you can imagine since then the two are one and the same for me. There is no Christmas season without Disneyland and vice versa. At different points of the year, whenever a reminder would pop up about the season, my thoughts would immediately turn towards Disneyland and taking that first walk down a decked out Main Street. The garland, the lights, the music playing. I loved every moment of it. Even DTD is festive and fun to walk through and something I actually look forward to.

So many different holiday moments I associate with the season come from DL now. Even small stuff like banjo versions of Christmas music being played in the Winnie The Pooh que.

It is very depressing.

I just cannot shake the feeling of something missing this year. No matter how hard I try to rationalize. Let me assure you - I have tried, too. I've told myself that in reality, it's only four days - and four days in November, at that. By now, the trip would have been over, anyway.

And of course...the dreaded "There's always next year". A phrase I thought I got to retire once I became an adult and could make my own decisions.

I do want to make it clear that this is not an all-consuming problem. I have a great deal I am thankful for as we head to the end of this year. It has been a tough one for my family, but things greatly picked up within the last month. There's a lot to be happy about, and a lot to be cheeful over.

I just miss Disneyland, and I figured this was the right place to express that without anyone telling me to simply "get over it".;)

sixwoofys
11-26-2006, 07:33 AM
It is very depressing.

Wish I could help. This happened to us one year and just before Christmas something happened and on the spur of the moment we loaded up the car and went anyway for one night. Sometimes that can happen so don't give up! It can be even more magical when you don't expect it (or even plan for it). Maybe something like that will happen at the last minute.

Like you I couldn't imagine Christmas without at least a day trip or something. Gets tears in my eyes thinking about it.

BGLeduc
11-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I feel your pain!

We have been to the park the week after Thanksgiving for 5 years straight, but this year it is not to be. We opted for a week at WDW the 2nd week of October. While that was a fantastic trip, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was very cool, and we got to ride on Nemo with a CM freind during the soft openning, its just not the same as seeing DL and the GCH in all their Christmas finery.

We are already talking up our trip back to DL for the first week of December2007!

Brian

kohl
11-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I can completely understand how you feel. This would have been the 6th year in a row that we would be driving to Disneyland TODAY! We always leave the Sunday after Thanksgiving and stay the week. Things just didn't work out this year for us to go. I am really sad about it and so are my kids, but the only plus side is that my whole family is planning a trip at the end of January. We are still sad that we will miss all the Christmas decorations because it is our favorite time to visit.

rentayenta
11-26-2006, 10:57 AM
I just cannot shake the feeling of something missing this year. No matter how hard I try to rationalize. Let me assure you - I have tried, too. I've told myself that in reality, it's only four days - and four days in November, at that. By now, the trip would have been over, anyway.

I just miss Disneyland, and I figured this was the right place to express that without anyone telling me to simply "get over it".;)

I feel ya! Same sad story and feelngs of loss. I was hoping once my trip window had passed I would feel better but after reading this I am thinking it is wishful thinking at best.

I am trying to plan a trip for next year and it seems to be helping.........a little.

Monte Cristo
11-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I feel ya! Same sad story and feelngs of loss. I was hoping once my trip window had passed I would feel better but after reading this I am thinking it is wishful thinking at best.

I am trying to plan a trip for next year and it seems to be helping.........a little.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do. We're not visiting the park until next November and I want to book the rooms NOW. Since we're only going once next year, the good news is we're going for 5 days instead of 3 or 4 and what the hell - we're gonna stay at the GCH.

rentayenta
11-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do. We're not visiting the park until next November and I want to book the rooms NOW. Since we're only going once next year, the good news is we're going for 5 days instead of 3 or 4 and what the hell - we're gonna stay at the GCH.

We are going next November too! With 5 of us I think the GCH might be too small- what do you think? 2 adult and 3 kids ages 6, 8, and 10. Let me know what kind of deals you find and I will do the same.

Thanks for commiserating with me. 5 days at the Grand will be grand indeed! Have you stayed there before? I have stayed at the GCH once and at the PPH and DLH a few times each. I like the PPH rooms and I like the DLH lobby and proximity.

I hope your blues subside quickly. Once the holiday season is over, we will both feel better I'm sure. :)

Monte Cristo
11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
We are going next November too! With 5 of us I think the GCH might be too small- what do you think? 2 adult and 3 kids ages 6, 8, and 10. Let me know what kind of deals you find and I will do the same.

Thanks for commiserating with me. 5 days at the Grand will be grand indeed! Have you stayed there before? I have stayed at the GCH once and at the PPH and DLH a few times each. I like the PPH rooms and I like the DLH lobby and proximity.

I hope your blues subside quickly. Once the holiday season is over, we will both feel better I'm sure. :)

That's the weird part for me - I love the Christmas season. It feels strange to want to look forward to next year already, but oh well.

Is the Grand too small for you and yours? Wellll...that all depends on what size room you want and what you can afford. I've found even the standard rooms to be fairly spacious, so if you want to do two queens and a sleeping bag for one of the young'ins, I'm sure that'll work. Obviously, you're going to get more room at better prices at one of the "Good Neighbor" places. My own personal favs are Hojo's and Best Western Park Place Inn (Tropicana is good too).

Geez...now you got me thinking about next November. And yes...I do feel better already. :)

kikid
11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
ahhh, see? it's already working out in your favor...The Grand for 5 days! It doesn't get any better than that!!!:D

Monte Cristo
11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
ahhh, see? it's already working out in your favor...The Grand for 5 days! It doesn't get any better than that!!!:D

Heh...yeah, I know. I think I'll need the fifth day simply because if we really don't go to DL until next November, I'll need a whole day to just stare at everything, repeatedly thinking "I can't believe I'm in Disneyland..."

rentayenta
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
That's the weird part for me - I love the Christmas season. It feels strange to want to look forward to next year already, but oh well.

Is the Grand too small for you and yours? Wellll...that all depends on what size room you want and what you can afford. I've found even the standard rooms to be fairly spacious, so if you want to do two queens and a sleeping bag for one of the young'ins, I'm sure that'll work. Obviously, you're going to get more room at better prices at one of the "Good Neighbor" places. My own personal favs are Hojo's and Best Western Park Place Inn (Tropicana is good too).

Geez...now you got me thinking about next November. And yes...I do feel better already. :)

I love love love the holiday season! :D I have been hundreds of times and Christmastime is the best at Disneyland!

My kids are teeny really so the GCH might work. Not too keen on the sleeping bag idea though. But they have rooms with bunk beds I think.

We used to stay with family being that we are from So Cal but a few years ago we stayed on Disney propety and never looked back. ;)

Monte Cristo
11-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I love love love the holiday season! :D I have been hundreds of times and Christmastime is the best at Disneyland!

My kids are teeny really so the GCH might work. Not too keen on the sleeping bag idea though. But they have rooms with bunk beds I think.

We used to stay with family being that we are from So Cal but a few years ago we stayed on Disney propety and never looked back. ;)

I love staying on Disney property, but when we were going three times a year it just wasn't feasable financially. Plus, while I love the location and asthetic, I haven't always been impressed with the service provided at GCH and DLH. Also, depending on where our room was located, the walk to the front gate was actually closer if we stayed right across the street at the BWPPI.

During the holidays, however, it is fantastic staying at the Grand. Walking out into the hustle and bustle of DTD, all lit up, with holiday music playing - heaven. I love walking into World of Disney this time of year, too. There's always some stocking stuffer type gifts to buy for family, and we usually find a new DL-related Christmas decoration to add to the collection.

Sigh...crap. I'm depressed again. :(

I Heart Disneyland!
11-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm so sorry! :( I was there last week, however, it was my first time EVER to be there at the holidays. I've been going to DL since about 1967 and this was my first Christmas/holiday trip. I hope you are able to make it next year! I posted a You Tube video of the fireworks! :) Maybe that will help.

11-27-2006, 04:00 AM

I love Disneyland, too but Christmas and Disneyland are not the same thing. As trite as this sounds, living in the moment is a happier solution than living for the next trip to Disneyland.

I just miss Disneyland, and I figured this was the right place to express that without anyone telling me to simply "get over it".

I guess I'm the one who's saying it to you.

No flaming, please.

rentayenta
11-27-2006, 04:50 AM

I vascilate too between moving forward and being sad. Just enjoy the holidays. It's a grieving process of sorts and it will take time. We each have the right to grieve how we choose and delegate how long it will take. Trust me, it gets better. Just keep thinking how fantastic Disneyland will be next year and keep planning your trip. :) I understand how hard it is to explain to those who don't "get it". My DH really likes DL but doesn't love it and have all of the wonderful childhood memories attached to it like I do. :)

kohl
11-27-2006, 05:23 AM
I love walking into World of Disney this time of year, too. There's always some stocking stuffer type gifts to buy for family, and we usually find a new DL-related Christmas decoration to add to the collection.

We buy stocking stuffers and some DL related Christmas iteam also each year. We also do a Christmas card picture while there. I was telling my husband last night that we would be at Disneyland right now and eating at Goofy' Kitchen. This morning, all I could think about is that we should be waking up in one of th DL hotels.

pisces
11-27-2006, 08:35 AM
I love Disneyland, too but Christmas and Disneyland are not the same thing.

There must be special activities going on in your community, this time of year.

Christmas Eve is just plain magical, every place.

Where do you live? If you live in California there are all sorts of free things to do. The Original Farmers Market/Grove has a 100 ft Christmas Tree with 15,000 lights and 10,000 ornaments (I'm not kidding). They've got dancing fountains and snow shows two times a night....AND THAT'S ALL FREE!

The Simi Valley Mall has a huge Christmas Tree and snowstorms.

Churches have free caroling and carolers that you can join in, all around the neighborhood.

And, that's just in California.

People that live in other States, probably outdo that because they've got SNOW !!! And not fake snow either.

This is such a magical time, period. I don't understand how Christmas is dependent upon Disney.

It's nice to do a Disney Christmas.

But, I can't imagine Christmas being cancelled because you won't be there.

Monte Cristo
11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
First, I want to say I appreciate everyone's opinions...even the jerk who told me to get over it. ;) (j/k).

Now I want to make something clear that perhaps isn't:

In no way, shape, or form am I "cancelling Christmas". I love the holiday season, and believe me I am in full mode right now. My wife and I spent all last weekend prepping our place for decorating next weekend. We intend to pick up our tree as well. I have had Christmas songs playing on our XM for the last few days, and we have a bunch of Christmas-related activities planned per normal this time of year that I am greatly looking forward to.

(Oh yeah - I'm also a Christian and the biggest reason this season makes me happy is always at the forefront of my heart ;) ).

Now having said that, I *am* disappointed and a little saddened by the lack of a DL holiday trip. I do not walk around moping over it, or sit at my desk crying over it. I'm simply expressing that I'll miss it this year in the one place I know I can do that. It is part of our holidays. Not the only part, not the biggest part, but part of it.

So really, there's nothing to "get over". I'm a grown man. My bills are all paid, my responsibilities at work taken care of, my loved ones tended to.

I simply will miss it this year.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
11-27-2006, 07:51 PM
First, I want to say I appreciate everyone's opinions...even the jerk who told me to get over it. ;) (j/k).

Now I want to make something clear that perhaps isn't:

In no way, shape, or form am I "cancelling Christmas". I love the holiday season, and believe me I am in full mode right now. My wife and I spent all last weekend prepping our place for decorating next weekend. We intend to pick up our tree as well. I have had Christmas songs playing on our XM for the last few days, and we have a bunch of Christmas-related activities planned per normal this time of year that I am greatly looking forward to.

(Oh yeah - I'm also a Christian and the biggest reason this season makes me happy is always at the forefront of my heart ;) ).

Now having said that, I *am* disappointed and a little saddened by the lack of a DL holiday trip. I do not walk around moping over it, or sit at my desk crying over it. I'm simply expressing that I'll miss it this year in the one place I know I can do that. It is part of our holidays. Not the only part, not the biggest part, but part of it.

So really, there's nothing to "get over". I'm a grown man. My bills are all paid, my responsibilities at work taken care of, my loved ones tended to.

I simply will miss it this year.

Monte Cristo

I'm with you on this one. We aren't doing our annual holiday time trip this year as we are going to WDW, so of course I'm not sad,we'll still be experiencing Disney Magic.............. but there is that feeling that something is going to be missing.

Of course there is always next year :)!!

Malcon10t
11-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I can completely relate. We skipped our trip in 2003. There was just something "not right" the whole month. Between not making plans, not getting prepared, etc... Do you have a Disney store nearby?

pisces
11-28-2006, 09:19 AM
You know, Disney isn't actually my first choice as a place to spend the Holidays.

For many many many years, I've actually wanted to spend Christmas in New York.

But, it's too expensive. Seems strange to say, given Disneyland's prices, especially for on-property hotels, etc..

But it's true, the airfare, cost of Manhattan hotels....and then there's the fact that it doesn't always snow in Manhattan on Christmas Eve...they have very few White Christmases, there...And I'd be absolutely crushed if I didn't see snow in Central Park on Christmas Eve!

It's just not feasible, and too much of a hassle.

I've also wanted, very much, to have a real honest to goodness New England Christmas in either Brookline, Boston, or Cambridge.. which I think would be very pretty....and there it does usually snow on Christmas!

However, again, the airfare...plus I'd need car rental etc... it's just too much!

Europe is gorgeous at Christmas, especially the city of Lights, and pretty much the whole UK !!

(I don't even own a Passport----the hassle etc..)

So, you see, Disney is not my first choice at all, and definitely not the only place I think of when I think Christmas. But, it does happen to be the most convenient, and I seem to have fallen into spending the Holidays there.

I, for one, have been thinking of doing something different, next year, though.

We'll see.

Monte Cristo
11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I can completely relate. We skipped our trip in 2003. There was just something "not right" the whole month. Between not making plans, not getting prepared, etc... Do you have a Disney store nearby?

Yes but, and I know this may sound strange, I only prefer Disneyland-related items. I don't own any Disney stuff that isn't related to the themepark.

Monte Cristo
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
You know, Disney isn't actually my first choice as a place to spend the Holidays.

For many many many years, I've actually wanted to spend Christmas in New York.

NYC is FANTASTIC and every bit magical during the holidays. You really should bite the bullet and try to get out there one Christmas. You won't regret it.

As to your point, again - DL isn't the focus of our Christmas by any means. It's just a great part of it, and by "great" I'm referring to enjoyment, not size. We kick off our holidays at DL in November, so naturally things just feel a little out of sync this year.

kikid
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM

hmm? and doesn't the bunk have a single on top and double on the bottom??!! Problem solved..the Grand it is!:D

CamCay
11-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes but, and I know this may sound strange, I only prefer Disneyland-related items. I don't own any Disney stuff that isn't related to the themepark.

i am the same way. every once in a while someone will buy me something from the disney store, or disney related. i only care for Disneyland. i am gracious, don't get me wrong, but there is a difference. and especially the classic disneyland stuff.