PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Positive in DCA

Mancub
05-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Let me start by stating that I realize the forums are used to give both positive and negative viewpoints on various issues, and I have found that to be extremely helpful. But for this particular thread I would really appreciate only positive replies. Thanks!
Now to the request. I will be taking my family to Disneyland this summer and despite all the negative things I've read about DCA we will be going to DCA with an open mind and will be looking for the positive side of the park. I would like to see a thread here that accentuates the positive things of DCA. Now I understand for some of you that would prove to be very difficult because you detest DCA and all things DCA, which is fine. If you find yourself in that boat... Please!!!! do not respond....not even with the reply "I have nothing good to say"!
So once again.... tell me about the good side of DCA!
Thanks

Ghoulish Delight
05-22-2002, 03:28 PM
Let me preface this with the fact that you will find differing opinions here. For instance, Mullhulland Madness is probably my favorite attraction there, while some people loathe it. So, really what you should take from all of this is that if you go there with the attitude that you plan on having a good time, you will. There will be things you like, and things you don't, but it won't matter if you are simply going to enjoy yourself.

Now, on to the list of things I enjoy

- Mullhulland Madness
- Grizzly River Run
- Disney Animation (a MUST)
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- A Bug's Life
- Maliboomer
- Millionaire
- If you have kids (heck, even if you don't), Redwood Challenge Trail
- Soarin' (I don't love this as much as most)
- The fact that Superstar Limo is Closed (sorry, couldn't resist)
- Screamin' is an okay coaster, but not worth more than a half hour wait, definitely FP it
- The Sun Wheel (swinging cars, of course!)

Also, the food. I hope you like hotdogs, because those are the best deals in the park. Especially the corn dogs at Corn Dog Castle in Paradise Pier. It's a good weiner at a good price! If you want to spend more, there are pleanty of delicious food options.

So go and enjoy yourself. Don't let the negativity get you down. Remember, people who have bad experiences are more likely to gripe than people with good experiences are to applaud.

mad4mky
05-22-2002, 03:36 PM
I love the Animation Building. It's wonderful. It's beautiful...and creative. I sat there on several occasions just sitting in the lobby, through the full loop of the music and animations...
And The Beast's Library is a treat for everyone. It is very creative and fun. My kids love to go in there to see which Disney Character they are most like.
:D

My kids get tired of the "movies" at DCA...but they enjoyed this.

MickeyD
05-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Blast! is an awesome show, and this is coming from someone who normally doesn't like shows.

hbquikcomjamesl
05-22-2002, 03:53 PM
I rather like Golden Dreams. It's not as good as it could have been, and it's not as good as the California State Railroad Museum's Evidence of a Dream, but it's good, and it's better than a lot of people give it credit for.

I also rather like the Boudin bakery tour, especially if something's actually happening in the "fishbowl." Much better than the Mission Tortilla tour.

Of course, I happen to like both Whoppi and Rosie.

MouseWife
05-22-2002, 03:59 PM
My family really did enjoy it.

And, I know it has been somewhat given the reputation of not being kid friendly, but, my then 7 year old LOVED it!!!

He did especially love Mullhullund Drive!! Even the jelly fish sort of ride, which isn't for big people, but gives the little ones a feeling of wahoo!!

Soarin' over California was beautiful but too short.

And there is a place for Happy Meals. :)

I really liked it. There is a little bit of everything. I wish I had more time and money {to try those more upscale types of eateries}. But snackies of all types are much enjoyed!!

Have a great time!! Tell us how it goes!

PineapplePrincess
05-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Blast is the BEST! Make sure to see it!
I also really like GRR, I could ride it over and over and over...:D

EandCDad
05-22-2002, 04:06 PM
The funny thing about threads like this is that eventually, someone will mention almost everything in the park.

But, I wouldn't miss:

Animation Building
Blast
Soarin' over California

If you have kids the Redwood Challange Creek Trail is fun.

Strips, Dips, and Chips is a good place to eat but I prefer Taste Pilots Grill right next to Soarin. Good burgers.

innerSpaceman
05-22-2002, 04:19 PM
The food is generally better at DCA than at Disneyland. The fries at Award Weiners on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot are the best french fries in the Disneyland Resort! (There's other good food in the park, too).

Let's see, for a movie simulator ride, Soarin' Over California is a knock-out. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of it cause it is just a movie, but every time I go with first-timers, I am reminded of why it knocked me out way back when.

The lobby of the Disney Animation building is fabulous.

There's some good imaginarchitecture and design in the Hollywood section of the park. The mozaics at Schmoozie's are really great.

The best imagineering is the Grizzly River Run mountain. Be sure to walk all around it - it's the most Disneyish creation in the park.

The wave fountain under the central plaza's sun icon is very cool.

Paradise Pier is pretty at night.

California Screamin' is a pretty good coaster - not too tame, not too wild.

It's Tough to Be a Bug and Muppet*Vision 3-D are good 3-D movie experiences if you haven't experienced them too much before (say, if you've visited Florida a lot).

Blast is a really good show.

Ok, that's all I can come up with. Not bad for a park I deplore.

merlinjones
05-22-2002, 04:20 PM
1) It's free (for DL passholders)

2) Soarin' Over CA

3) Blast!

4) Art of Animation Exhibit

That's about it...

Did I say it was free? Otherwise I wouldn't ever go in there.

cstephens
05-22-2002, 04:28 PM
I agree that with many people responding, many of the attractions will be mentioned, so I'll provide something else.

The little things that I enjoy at DCA are things that people probably won't notice at first glance, the clever details and attentions that make exploring even more fun. Notice the signage on the bathrooms by Soarin' Over California and at the Pacific Wharf area. Notice the pressure indicators on the condiments in Taste Pilots Grill. Notice the stroller parking sign by Soarin'. Notice how the Paradise Pier area has manhole covers and showers on the boardwalk. Notice all the storefront signage on the main boulevard of the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. Read the entire mural next to Hollywood and Dine. Read the entire mural of Mullholland Madness. Listen to the bees on Orange Stinger as they buzz their way through songs. If you're not afraid of heights, enjoy the spectacular view from the red cars on the Sun Wheel. Enjoy all the great music being played throughout the park.

Have a great time!

Iceman
05-22-2002, 06:27 PM
I'll mention one that isn't likely to come up otherwise--my wife and I liked the tortilla walkthrough! I love finding out how things work and how things are made, the videos were humororus and interesting, and the free samples at the end were delicious!

Uncle Dick
05-22-2002, 07:09 PM
If you need your "carousel fix" while King Arthur's undergoes "remodeling", head on over to King Triton's in DCA. I love riding the sea otter.

MonorailMan
05-22-2002, 07:56 PM
My DCA Liking:

Screamin' (WOOOSH!)
Soarin' (The end put a tear in my eye every time.)
Mulholland Madness (The Drop is always worse than it seems)
Golden Dreams (Nice and relaxing)
Millionaire (The Music, The Lights)
BLAST! (Upbeat and plain fun!)
Sun Wheel (Move and Groove)

Is DCA fun? Yes! :) Is it worth $45? NO! :(

TerryTiger
05-22-2002, 08:27 PM
I had a Disney AP for many years then gave it up about 5 years ago as I had become bored with Disneyland and felt I would takre a year off as they reconstructed Tomorrowland. Once it reopened, I went once and didn't feel the need to have an AP again. However, last year with the opening of DCA, I felt it was time to again get that AP. Now I happily do both parks and hop back and forth. However, I would have to say the majority of my time at the Disneyland Resort is spent in DCA. I love the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area (the mood, the music, the trees, it's so relaxing) and recommend both Grizzly River Run and spending some time exploring the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. I am also addicted to "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire - Play It!" attraction. I have been in the hot seat 3 times and want to win that trip to NY! The Animation building is a marvel of theming in both the lobby and The Sorceror's Workshop/Beast's Library/Ariel's Grotto as is the theater for "It's Tough To Be a Bug". California Screamin' is a fun roller coaster (wait for the front seat) and you should definitely ride in a swinging car on the Sun Wheel. The entire park is clean and fresh, the theming is great with clever names for stores/restaurants/attractions and it just has a happy feel to it. And don't forget to stay for Disney's Electrical Parade!

justagrrl
05-23-2002, 06:53 AM
Hi there,

My family and I always enjoy ourselves over at DCA. My Husband and I take our 7 and 3 1/2 year old (who is over 40")...

My daughter and husband ALWAYS go on Maliboomer and Screamin'...I say wait for the BACK seat in screamin'! And for Maliboomer - a lot of fun. I especially enjoy it at night when you get to see all the great lights of the parks and the city.

Now, my 3 year old MUST go on the Sun Wheel...purple car only please. The wheel always stops in the same place (orange on the left and purple on the right). Because of this, the different colored cars each stop in the different spot on the wheel - and purple's spot always gives a more exciting ride. The orange one gives a less thrilling ride...and for us...the red car (which isn't on the track) is only for when the line is just waaaaaaaay to long (rarely). We go on Red just so my little one can get "his ride" in. He is also a big fan of Jumpin' Jellyfish.

Also fun for the little ones is the boat and squirting water area sort of in front of McDonalds and nexzt to the Jellyfish... this will keep them entertained far longer then I expected. Of course, if you tell your spouse to go over and help your child and then squirt him with a firehose, you'd better run! ;) :p

Let's see...I really enjoy Soarin' over California...be sure to smell as you ride along...I've noticed that many people don't pick up on that right away. It's a great ride...the transitions between scenes are a bit abrupt - but this is definately fun!

Don't forget about the redwood trail either - we spent far more time in here then I would have imagined...and while you're in the area you might see a very tall vine that's "growing" along the path...look carefully and you might see that the vine is in fact a contortionist performer called "devine" (sp?)

Take advantage of the "baby drop pass" - or is it called a "rider switch pass"...if you have any kids too small to go on something that the grownups still want to ride.

...loved the bugs life show - a bit scary for the little ones - but great fun! I've rarely heard an audience laugh so much at a show.

Have fun and forget about what the naysayers have to say. Go and decide for yourself!

80S ERA
05-23-2002, 08:09 AM
* Wide walkways
* Soap Opera Bistro
* Burrrr-bank Icecream
* Soarin
* Fly n' Buy
* Aninmation Exhibit
* Hollywood Backdrop
* Screamin
* Malliboomer

* No crowds!

RStar
05-23-2002, 10:16 AM
One of the things I love about it is the atmosphere, laid back and not crowded. I dread the day it gets real popular and crowded. I also think they made DCA so different from DL was so that they would not canabalize attendance from DL. Most locals don't like the CA theme, but being from Idaho (my dad is from Winchester, ID by the way) you may get a kick out of it. I love to look at the details, too. The road around Grizzly peak looks old and repaired, just like Angeles Creast Highway, compleat with old signs. Hollywood Blvd. has ground glass in it like the original Tinsle Town. The old vavorite beach and CA songs playing.

I love how the park teaches about CA.
-Golden Dreams about Immigrant workers
-Golden Vine Winery (if it is still open) about how wine is made
-Boudine Bakery about the history of Sourdough bread and how it is made (takes 72 hrs. to make a loaf!)
-Mission Tortilla Factory a tast of Mexican life and how tortillas are made
-Who wants to be a millionair and how a TV show is made
-The Animation building on how Animated features are made and the life of Walt Disney (how important his work in CA is to animation and theme parks)
-Redwood Chalange trail and the life of a CA Forest Ranger

As for my favorite rides, they are all listed above. Do Soarin', California Screamin', and Grizzly River Run first at park opening or use fastpass for these as they have the longest lines. You can get a fastpass for BLAST! after you get one of the others and plan things because you can choose wich BLAST! show you want to see. It is realy a ticket, not a fastpass, so it won't count as one.

Even with the little they have to do there, it is still nearly impossible to do everything all in 1 day, and this is why I would argue wether or not it's worth full admission.

You can even get a beer or Margareeta and listen to the live band to relax if you like, something you can't do in DL. (If you like to relax this way).

As for food we like the Chicken strips or cheese strips from Strips and dips on the pier.

Don't forget to check out the Grand Californian Hotel (if your not already staying there). It's beautiful, and has some of the best resturants in CA.!

If you havent already check out the thread "DCA rocks". Some negative but alot of good as well.

mousey_girl
05-23-2002, 10:56 AM
:D Tonight I am making our reservations at GCH for Dec 4-7!!! I can't wait to explore DCA. During last year's trip we did enjoy the time we spent there, but did not go very deeply into the park. Our main goal was to show The Boy the DEP. I knew he was not quite tall enough to ride Screaming, so we didn't go near the pier area (didnt want to deal with melt downs any more than we had to). The first night my boys (the 32yr old and the 5yr old) enjoyed the Jelly Fish, and went to Zinger and that was when we learned thst he was just a tad shy of 48". No biggy, they then went on MM 3 times in a row. I joined them for 1 and it was a fun ride, but I wanted to be comfy for the parade, so I bowed out of the next 2 runs. The parade was great in DCA!! After the parade we watched Luminaria and while I could see why people found fault with it (thank goodness the smoke went in the other direction), The Boy loved it!

The next day The Boy begged us to go to DCA so he could ride "the bear ride". We rode it without a line and the boys proceded to ride it 2 more times. I highly recommend heading straight back to a hotel to change into dry pants, The Boy ended up with a bad chafe due to wet jeans and inner thigh area.

This year he will be tall enough to ride all but Maliboomer, so we will def be spending more time in DCA. It is a good park. I would not pay a full day's admission for it, but the 3-5 day park hopper makes it well worth the price.

TomSawyer
05-23-2002, 12:34 PM
The music in all of the areas, but especially at Condor Flats and at Paradise Pier at night.

The view of Paradise Pier from across the lagoon.

The sights and sounds and pure kinetic energy along the Pier.

The Animation Courtyard.

Grizzly Pass Road, after dark, with the cricket sounds and the waterfalls.

Eating a bread bowl salad or soup on Pacific Wharf at sundown.

The vineyard.

The theming at Condor Flats and Grizzly Peak - some of the best that Disney has ever done.

Rushin' River Outfitters and Fly n' Buy

And of course the attractions:

Soarin', Screamin', Grizzly River Rapids, Mulholland Madness, Zephyr, and the Sun Wheel at sunset.

MonorailMan
05-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Also, no crouds in DCA mean a lot of Character photos!

It was so quiet in HPB, I took about 10 pictures with Mickey!

gn2dlnd
05-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Well, there are those nice rocks mentioned in another thread.