PDA

View Full Version : May I ask a little favor... [Fantasmic balcony seating]

mel g
11-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Let me introduce myself first, as I don't post often. My name is Melissa and I am a long time reader from Alberta, Canada (Where is it currently -24 and snowing!) I really enjoy this board and all your conversations. They help satisfy my Disneyland longings in between trips.

Why I am posting is because I need a favor or any suggestions.....My hubby and I will be visiting the park this upcoming week, Nov 26-Dec 1st. My hubby suffers from a severe crowd phobia & bi-polar depression. He can usually do some days at the park, we are just very careful and sensitive to avoid crowds. On our last few trips however, he has not been able to make it to the fireworks or Fantasmic. This kills me because I hate that he misses them (as he does love Disneyland and wants to see them), and I really want to share them with him. I feel we miss out when we both leave or if he leaves and I watch alone. The happy magical feeling is not quite complete. I called about balcony seating for Fantasmic while we are there, but there is only 1 seat left on all the nights it is showing. I have considered the ground seating, but if it is surrounded by people, I don't think he can do it. He will probably end up leaving and then we wasted the money. (Can someone tell me where the ground seats are, please?) Does anyone happen to have any suggestions as to what I could do so we can both see Fantasmic? I know it is a lot to ask, and I don't expect a reply, but if anyone has balcony seating that they would be willing to sell or trade for another upcoming night (that I could pay for) it would mean the world to me. This is our anniversary celebration, 8 years, and we have fought so hard with his condition to make things work. I wish I would have thought of this earlier and booked in advance, but it didn't go that way...

Thanks in advance for any help. I wouldn't normally post or ask something like this, but since this is such a friendly board I thought I would take the chance.

Have a great weekend, everyone.
Mel.

chrisaustx
11-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Well if your husband has a fear of crowds there are other locations to see the fireworks. The other choices are: near Small World, usually it is not crowded there, stand near the outdoor vending carts across from the Tea Cups, you should be able to see the castle fireworks and the fireworks being shot off behind Toon Town, there are snow machines at this location as well. The other option is to watch the fireworks from the top of the parking structure, there will be no music of course, but one can watch the fireworks, then jump in your car and leave, before the crowds start rushing to the parking structure to leave. I like sitting in the area by Small World to see the fireworks if the place is really crowded, there are benches and places to hide, like the old motor boat queue area, one can just sit and wait for the crowds to leave. I hope this helps you out.
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

Malcon10t
11-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Mel, my daughter is claustrophobic. The balcony is way to tight for her to handle. If he has trouble being in tight quarters, the balcony would not be for him. Fantasmic! riverside seating is closer to the water and just before you get to the Haunted Mansion. It is CONSIDERABLY less crowded feeling. He could even get a back row seat, then stand and walk around in the area once the show starts (I've done this more than once.) The seating is pretty much 3 rows of 5 seats. Then on the inside area, there is a back row against a wall. We will often stand back there if my daughter thinks it is too crowded. I don't know if you will be able to get tickets at this late date, but best of luck!!

ETA - If you do the first showing of Fantasmic! (or only) you can stay here to watch the fireworks. Not AS GOOD as in front of the castle, but its still pretty good!

mel g
11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks chrisaustx and Malcon10t. The idea to watch the fireworks by Small World sounds perfect. I had no idea there was snow there or a good view. We will try this forsure and see if he can do it.

As for small spaces, he does fine, sometimes better. Although the ground seating sounds not too bad from your description Malcon10t. I will talk it over with him tonight and see what he thinks. It might be worth the try! (If we can still get in..)

Thanks again. I appreicate the help very much :)

Mel.

P.S. Your puppy is soooo cute. It looks a lot like our pup (who is 2 now). What kind of dog is it?

Malcon10t
11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Your puppy is soooo cute. It looks a lot like our pup (who is 2 now). What kind of dog is it?He is 3/4 lab, 1/4 golden. He just turned a year old. We will have him another 7 months training.

mommy-san
11-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Mel G. Nice to see another Albertan on here. We are in Grande Prairie, currently -30 with the wind chill. Hope you are able to work everything out with regards to the park next week. Enjoy getting away from this weather! (we are going in January, I'm praying for -40 here the week we are gone)

I Heart Disneyland!
11-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks chrisaustx and Malcon10t. The idea to watch the fireworks by Small World sounds perfect.
?

We watched the fireworks 2 times, last week, by Small World and it was WIDE open!! :) As you face Small world, to the right, up from the entrance to Toontown , we sat on a cement bench and there was no one around. Then, after the fireworks were over, we walked to the area by Small World where the snow was falling. You can just stand at the edge if you don't want to get in the middle of the crowd. Just being close to it is wonderful. I don't do close crowds either, and it was perfect! Enjoy your time !!!

wenidog
11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
According to all of the 'Unofficial' Disneyland guide books, the day and weekend following Thanksgiving are the busiest days for the entire year at Disneyland. The second busiest days are Christmas week. Maybe next time you and your husband could plan for mid-October, early December or february (but not President's Day weekend.)

Malcon10t
11-24-2006, 04:03 PM
According to all of the 'Unofficial' Disneyland guide books, the day and weekend following Thanksgiving are the busiest days for the entire year at Disneyland. The second busiest days are Christmas week. Maybe next time you and your husband could plan for mid-October, early December or february (but not President's Day weekend.)Generally the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving are packed. Sunday (the 26th this year) generally has never been as bad as the other 2 days (people going home.) Perhaps DB or someone there today could tell us how bad it was. I know it was crowded, but no where near a closure yesterday. Never even stopped selling tix.

DangerMouse
11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
According to all of the 'Unofficial' Disneyland guide books, the day and weekend following Thanksgiving are the busiest days for the entire year at Disneyland. The second busiest days are Christmas week. Maybe next time you and your husband could plan for mid-October, early December or february (but not President's Day weekend.)

She's not visiting the day or weekend following Thanksgiving. She's going to be there Sunday, but it shouldn't be near as bad as today or Saturday. The rest of the week should not be overly crowded at all.

I hope you have a wonderful anniversary trip! Good luck with your F! and Fireworks viewing plans.

mel g
11-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Yes, we will be there Sunday, busiest day we have ever gone on (or at least that is what I am expecting) We usually do Jan or Feb or late Sept. I have never been to the park at this time of year. Should be an experience. I don't have any idea as to how the hubby will do on Sunday. I did book a tour (WIWF), our first one, so that will hopefully lessen his focus on the crowds.

Thank you so much for your tips and help. Small world will be a must for the fireowrks, Fantasmic, well, we will see what we can work out. Have a great week everyone. Maybe we will see some of you at the park. (I usually recognise a few of you each visit from photos.....) :)

Mel.

mel g
11-24-2006, 05:56 PM
BTW, last this year at the park (Sept 05), my best friend who is also named Melissa, and I watched the Remember fireworks from the front of the hub, near the middle area and we were sitting right in front of a garbage can. That night they had a camera set up (just in front of Walt & Mickey) and they were filming the audience for facial expressions & reactions to use in a commerical. We sat in front of a lady who was sitting on the bench. She lived a few blocks from the park and invited us to stay with her should be ever be back in town. I do not remember your name, but if you are on this board, I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed meeting you and talking to you while waiting for the fireworks. My friend and I have both mentioned you since we got home & how nice it was to talk to someone who loved the park so much. If you are on this board, please say hi!

Mel.

momuvseven
11-24-2006, 06:32 PM
The view is not as good but we often watch both Fantasmic and the Fireworks from the wall in front of the Haunted Mansion. You will be able to see the snow but not be in it. The second show after the fireworks is not usually crowded. Take the train over to New Orleans Square or plan to be there well ahead of the crowd that comes and starts seating in the area a good hour before the show. The train lets you avoid the crowd as long as you don't have to stand in a crowd to wait for it.

I am a fellow Canuck from SW Ontario.

DianeM
11-25-2006, 07:27 AM
I have the same problem as your husband. I hadn't been able to watch fantasmic for several trips, although I really love it. The last trip I took I actually saw fantasmic twice. We reserved seating our first night, which was very nice. They have desserts as well. It's a bit late for your trip, but they sometimes have spaces open up at the last minute - ask at guest services. It's not cheap, but for about a hundred dollars the two of you can watch the show.

Our second time was a bit of a fluke. They hadn't scheduled a fantasmic for friday night until just before we left on our trip, so we didn't have tickets. But we decided to watch the fireworks at "It's a small world" and then walk the back way over to NOS to see if we could find a spot for the late fantasmic. When we got to NOS, they had just dropped the ropes to let people go after watching the previous show and the fireworks, and we got a lovely 2nd row spot to watch from just next to the Columbia.

Tell your husband to take it slow, and the crowds won't seem as bad. If he has anxiety medication, don't be afraid to use it at the first signs of panic. Deep breathing exercises help, too. During the day, if the crowds seem overwhelming, take a break. My husband and I wandered over to Downtown Disney for a snack and a drink in mid-afternoon friday, and it made all the difference to my ability to handle the crowds friday night. During the day, you can get respite from the crowds by wandering in the stores. Try to do things when other people aren't - ride Haunted Mansion during the daytime, go to DCA instead of DL if DL gets crowded. It is possible to enjoy Disneyland even if you can't handle crowds.

Why I am posting is because I need a favor or any suggestions.....My hubby and I will be visiting the park this upcoming week, Nov 26-Dec 1st. My hubby suffers from a severe crowd phobia & bi-polar depression. He can usually do some days at the park, we are just very careful and sensitive to avoid crowds..

MickeyDogMom
11-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm Malcon10ts daughter and the crowds can suck at DL but if I start to get ticked off at all the 'closeness' I have a few spots, where I'm almost gaurnteed to have no one in my bubble.
1. At the pizza port, in the outside food area, there's even an entrance where I don't have to walk through the 'dining/zoo room'. Wait find a table and chill.
2. At night, back next to the HM and train station. It's pretty dark and people leave me alone.
3. First aid center
4. Back of the hungry bear when it's not crowded, very nice place to relax
And many more... plus the dog keeps people away from me, they move away or avoid me thinking I'm blind or they're scared of him.

But the riverside is a good place to sit, I don't like people behind me but the front row is the best so I stick to a corner in the front or the very back, just watch for the sitting crowds in the back, sometimes they like to sneak under the rope or just stare/glare at you. :creepy: