PDA

View Full Version : Who's going on Turkey Day?

oshan70
11-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi all ~ I'm curious about how crowded DL & DCA are gonna turn out to be on Thanksgiving this year. If you go, lemme know. :D I know today (Wed) was full, and Fri-Sun will be bad, I'm sure-- But I was thinking Thursday might be okay because everyone's home eating...?

Happy Thanksgiving

newhdplayer
11-23-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm not going. There's football to watch while digesting.

Darkbeer
11-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Last year was very busy, and I am headed over in a couple of hours....

mckygirl99
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Alot of my family are Jehovah witnesses and since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving, alot of them head down to DLR in mass. I would expect it to be very, very busy! Since I am newly pregnant (only 5 weeks) I will stay home and try to stomach my turkey!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I believe Wendi from this forum is there today with her 5yo son, Max. Hope it isn't too crowded for them.

jcruise86
11-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Alot of my family are Jehovah witnesses and since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving. . .!
I'm just curious, why don't they celebrate Thanksgiving?

Darkbeer
11-23-2006, 02:01 PM
When we entered the park around 9:30 AM, they warned us when we reached the Parking Toll Booth that the park was very busy, and also on the tram. When we entered using our Premium AP's, the CM told us we needed to get a hand stamp today, since it was a special day.

But when I went over to DCA to grab some shots around 12:30 PM, the warnings were taken down (I walked outside to the Lion KIng "Warning Sign"), which said "Welcome to the Disneyland Resort", lines were very short in the Plaza area (though Disneyland itself was busy). As for DCA, I walked onto the Sun Wheel (stationary), the moving cars had about a 10 minute wait, Screamin' was less than 20 minutes, and GRR was posted at 15 minutes. Space Mountain at Disneyland was posted at 50 minutes for stand by, Star Tours was at 35 minutes....

So the place is busy (I am at the GCH Lobby right now loading Turkey photos), but nothing like Veteran's Day Weekend. On the other hand, I bet tomorrow and the rest of the weekend will be a lot busier!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. I didn't realize that they didn't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Malcon10t
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Celebrations regarding nationalism, politicism, or religion are considered to be unchristian, so Thanksgiving, CHristmas, Easter, and birthdays are not celebrated. Weddings, funerals, and anniversaries are celebrated.

dsnyredhead
11-23-2006, 06:28 PM
DL seemed fairly empty today overall. We went down for lunch and had turkey at Carnation Cafe. It was good although we had talk to the chef about getting a kids portion of the turkey dinner. They didn't have a turkey dinner on the kids menu stating that it didn't sell in previous years. Well my son would have had a fit if he didn't eat the same thing we had so it was nice of them to provide us with that.

mckygirl99
11-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Celebrations regarding nationalism, politicism, or religion are considered to be unchristian, so Thanksgiving, CHristmas, Easter, and birthdays are not celebrated. Weddings, funerals, and anniversaries are celebrated.

Also Valentine's day and Halloween are not celebrated. I just knew a bunch of them were going today but it looks like it was a nice day. Tomorrow will probably be a different story.

PhiSigDuchessCV
11-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi all ~ I'm curious about how crowded DL & DCA are gonna turn out to be on Thanksgiving this year. If you go, lemme know. :D I know today (Wed) was full, and Fri-Sun will be bad, I'm sure-- But I was thinking Thursday might be okay because everyone's home eating...?

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

My parents and I went today, it's just the three of us in California since all my siblings are out of state now. Neither my parents nor I wanted to cook and deal with the cleanup hassles today so we all agreed lets go to DLR. Overall the park was crowded but not as bad as I expected and I don't think it even got close to what is was the Friday of Veterans day weekend.

We got there about 8:30 a.m. and was able to book the 1:00 p.m. Holiday tour. I was surprised as I would have thought the tour was sold out. After we booked the tour we went over to the POTC using the wheelchair entrance. While waiting in line for POTC I made priority seating at Cafe Oreleans for the 11:30 lunch time. Got back in line for POTC and waited for about 10-15 minutes. Once we were off the ride it was close to 10:30. At 10:30 DL was having a "parade" for the National Turkey, Flyer, that the President pardoned yesterday. We decided to go over and watch that.

Once the "parade" was over we wandered the shops for a little bit and headed back to Cafe Orleans. We got there about 11:15 and checked in. They seated us right away at 11:30. They had a special turkey dinner that day so mom and dad ordered that. I wasn't in the mood for turkey (I know sacrilege on Thanksgiving) so I had the three cheese monte cristo. Mom and dad said the turkey was great.

We finished lunch just in time to head back for the Holiday tour. While we were waiting for the tour to start a group of people, with only one person wearing a dream fastpass, wandered in to the waiting area and seemed to be looking for someone. A couple minutes later a cast member came out and gave out to each of the rest of the party a dream fastpass. I wanted to get one but the CM only had enough for that group :-(

Had an enjoyable time on the tour. Our guide, Chris, was great and really patient with my parents since mom is in wheelchair and hard of hearing and dad is starting to feel all of his 78 years. The tour ended with priority seating for the parade. We watched it and then headed out of the park. We did stop to watch the flag retreat ceremony and then hit the freeways back to the Los Angeles South Bay.

Overall had a great day today. Had some areas of bottleneck and long lines but nothing too bad for a holiday weekend. A couple CM's did tell me that the day after Thanksgiving isn't only Black Friday for retail stores. That it is Black Friday for Disneyland as well - generally it is their busiest day of the year even more so then new year's. I think I'm going to avoid the park tomorrow then :-).

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving Day.
Carolyn

chrisaustx
11-23-2006, 08:41 PM
The high school band from South Dakota was excellent, they had a huge contingent which marched before the Christmas Fantasy Parade. The park was packed from noon until 4pm, then people started leaving in droves. The Thanksgiving Dinner I had at Plaza Inn was very good.
Photos from today
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

I Heart Disneyland!
11-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Also Valentine's day and Halloween are not celebrated..

But they still make money on the holidays by selling Mickey ears for them! ha!

Rkkm
11-24-2006, 10:24 AM
The high school band from South Dakota was excellent, they had a huge contingent which marched before the Christmas Fantasy Parade. The park was packed from noon until 4pm, then people started leaving in droves. The Thanksgiving Dinner I had at Plaza Inn was very good.
Photos from today
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

As always, I LOVE your pix! They are always such fun to look at. Thanks so much! Question about the beach boy singers at DCA: do they have scheduled performance times or do they just appear throughout the day?

potzbie
11-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Question about the beach boy singers at DCA: do they have scheduled performance times or do they just appear throughout the day?

If this year is the same as last year, then YES, their performances will be listed in the paper schedule ("entertainment times guide") at the entrance gates.
The were (or are) THE WAVE RIDERS.

I have not yet seen this year's "edition". But the WAVE RIDERS were one of my favorite things in DCA in years past.

Gutz
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
There are a few versions of the Wave Riders (including The Beach Toys), all of which are very entertaining. I really like the current band that is playing all this weekend. After a hiatus since the end of the summer, the Wave Riders returned on Nov. 10 with the return of Santa's Beach Blast to Sunshine Plaza. Yes their performance times are listed in the "Times Guide."

sixwoofys
11-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Weddings, funerals, and anniversaries are celebrated.

I can't remember the last time I celebrated a funeral.