PDA

View Full Version : belisles

SUNSHINE4565
05-21-2002, 10:29 PM
before Disney bought out Anaheim ... up the street on harbor was a family owned resturaunt called belisles..... back in my days that was the cast hang out ...really pricey... but really good food.... does anyone know what happned to them .. relocate? or did Disney aka Eisner kick them to the curb.???????

awinner
05-21-2002, 10:41 PM
from what i heard they no longer exist...it was great ...lumberjack portions...i remember they had that breakfast which was something like 12 eggs, many slices of bacon, tons of hash browns, quart of oj...the eclairs were huge...and the dagwood sandwich...wow!!!

SUNSHINE4565
05-21-2002, 10:46 PM
that truly is sad........ sniffle......

marron-cream
05-21-2002, 11:09 PM
I think they just went out of business, no relocating anywhere. Don't know if they were kicked out by Disney, that seems kind of unlikely, considering what's there now... Outback and something else. I would think those two restaurants would be bigger competition than Belisle's ever could be.

justagrrl
05-22-2002, 05:10 AM
I used to live down the street and we often talked about going in there but never did. Too bad. The rumor, at the time when they were closing, that I'd heard was that they were going to "redo" the area building them a new, more modern looking building, and then they'd be back. Obviously that never happened (the coming back part.)

Los Sanchez, a little down the way, has some pretty good food (fast food mexican food but much better then Taco Bell kind of stuff.)

coronamouseman
05-22-2002, 07:32 AM
My impression, like that of many of the other posters, is that Belisle's simply closed down for good .......

My understanding, as concerns any Disney influence over that west side of Harbor Blvd, south of Katella, is that Disney owns none of that property. There are multiple hotels, restaurants and businesses on that side of Harbor from Katella south to Chapman and none of them are owned by Disney. Now, over on the east side of that stretch is where the "Strawberry Fields" site (possible future 3rd park) is located ........

KarenW2
05-22-2002, 09:34 AM
We went to Belisle's as well and were sad to see them go! With the huge portions and giant soda glasses with nearly yard long straws, we thought of them as the "theme park of restaurants" and always suggested people go there when they were visiting Disneyland from out of town!

SUNSHINE4565
05-22-2002, 09:45 AM
thank you all for the info........ sniffle:crying: maybe someday they will relocate ....
also there salads and milkshakes were out of this world .....

MickeyD
05-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Oh man! I used to love that place. :crying: :crying:

justagrrl
05-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Too bad they can't show up at Downtown Disney or DCA...maybe we'll see them over in the "new garden district".

downingfamily1
05-23-2002, 01:07 PM
I was just talking with my family about Belisles. We were wondering if they were still around. I guess you all answered our question. My dad will be very disappointed, he loved that place.
-Julie

Hades
05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Belisle's was a great place! I really enjoyed going there with my friends and unwinding.

One of the fun things about eating there was taking someone that had never been there before! We took a fellow CM that had never eaten there. She never believed us when we warned her about the giant serving sizes, so we dared her to eat a burger, fries and coke combo. She kept telling us that it would be no problem for her, until the waitress arrived with her meal. The burger covered the entire plate (which was just shy of a foot in diameter), a virtual haystack of home style fries, and a coke in a glass that made a Seven-11 super big gulp look like a shot glass!
The patty of the burger could have easily doubled for a family sized meat loaf!

Needless to say, her boasting and doubting ended when her meal arrived, and we all helped her eat her meal! LOL!

The desserts there were nothing short of amazing because of thier size! I took 3 of us to eat an eclaire there, and most of it would wind up on our faces from a spontaineous food fight of whipped cream. The pies in the display cases were sheer mountains of whipped cream and pie fillings! You could easily lose a small child in one if they fell in! LOL!

It was a tragic event when the news came that they were closing for good. They were around since Walt Disney opened Disneyland, and was just as well known by every local in the Orange County area and everyone that ever went there. The property owners envisioned a retail / dining destination they would call "River Walk", with water ways as a tie in theme for it, but that never materialized. Only the hotels and Outback Steakhous and Red Robin's were built to date.

Belisle's will always be a wonderful memory to me, as well as many others that had the chance to dine there.:crying:

gn2dlnd
05-23-2002, 04:04 PM
I loved going to Belisles after work when I was a sweeper! I've wished for a while that they would open back up at Downtown Disney, it was so fun taking new people and watching their reactions. I'm pretty sure I have one of their pink souvenir coffee mugs, I wish I had one of their family-size cinnamon rolls to go with!